Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long USB3 Cable to tether Canon 5Ds  (Read 4867 times)

jsch

Long USB3 Cable to tether Canon 5Ds
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:33:52 am »

Hi,

for a shoot I have to tether a Canon 5Ds via an USB3 Cable. I need approximately 5 meter length. Has anyone done this before? Is there something to be careful about? Everything works fine with the 20 centimeter USB3 cable from one of my hard drives. Thank you very much.

Best,
Johannes

Colorado David

Re: Long USB3 Cable to tether Canon 5Ds
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:23:21 am »

I may be mistaken, but I believe there is a recommended length limit to USB3 not to exceed 3 meters.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 12:06:38 pm »

Hi,

for a shoot I have to tether a Canon 5Ds via an USB3 Cable. I need approximately 5 meter length.

Hi Johannes,

USB2 is known to work up to 5 metres (as it should), and Repeaters of 5 or 10m are available (can even be daisy-chained for longer lengths). But USB3 cables of length are harder to find. The practical maximum length for USB3 with copper cables is apparently 3 metres, unless special large diameter materials is used.

According to Wikipedia:
Unlike previous standards, the USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires, the maximum practical length is 3 meters (9.8 ft)

However, here is one of 5m I just found by searching, but I do not know how reliable USB3 is at these lengths. Construction quality and materials used will make or break the usability such a long cable.

This might be more reliable (less Radio Frequency Interference), but it uses the USB2 protocol for the data link over optical fiber, so it's probably slower. And the plugs get hot, they say.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:04:13 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 12:43:34 pm »

I may be mistaken, but I believe there is a recommended length limit to USB3 not to exceed 3 meters.

I'm using a usb2 active 30' extension with my 5DS with zero problems...just no usb3 speeds.  That said, for my application the speed difference is meaningless.
Craig Lamson Photo

jamesconkle

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:51:29 pm »

Im not exactly sure if it would work but I've used a 50ft. optical USB 3 extender with a digital back, so it should work with a 5Ds.

Possibly longer than what you would need though.

jng

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 12:44:18 am »

I use a 5 meter USB3 cable to tether my Phase One back to my Mac with no problems at all. Capture Integration sells a USB3 cable of this length and you can find them from other vendors (e.g., Amazon if you're in the U.S.) as well. Hope this helps.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 05:14:05 pm »

Hi,

for a shoot I have to tether a Canon 5Ds via an USB3 Cable. I need approximately 5 meter length. Has anyone done this before? Is there something to be careful about? Everything works fine with the 20 centimeter USB3 cable from one of my hard drives. Thank you very much.

Best,
Johannes

The USB 3 cables are typically shorter because they made to transmit data and power (up to 100W [20V at 5A, Profile 5]) simultaneously.  If you are only transmitting data, a 5M cable should not be an issue.  Longer runs most certainly would benefit from a repeater/hub setup.

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:45:42 am »

I use a 15 foot USB3 cable with my Pentax 645z camera and have had no issues.

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 07:37:15 am »

Hi,

here is what I finally did: After reading a lot customer reviews on different sites I bought this active USB 3 10 meter extension cable:
http://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Meter-Repeater-Cable-CAC-1402/dp/B00WJ2IBMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455657227&sr=8-1&keywords=Club+3D+CAC-1402+Adapter+USB+3.0
People are saying, that this is the best cable. I can confirm it works.

I tested it today with a Canon EOS 5Ds. It works as well as the original cable which came with the camera. Same speed, really nice. I can transfer 10 RAW images in aprox. 11 seconds. Which is what I wanted. Works even better without a memory card in the camera. I used DPP 4. Next step will be to program libgphoto2 to do a few things automated.

Best,
Johannes

Glad you found a workable solution.

This does not specifically relate to your issue since you are only concerned with the data transmission over USB 3, but it is important to realize that there is another consideration with USB 3 if power is involved.  The High Power capability is partly a function of the Type C Connector that will supplant Type A, Type B and Type Micro B.  However, you can transmit high power over the these older connectors if you have an Electronically MARKED cable.  Because USB 3.0 allows power to go both directions simultaneously with data, and the older connectors lack the control and communications wires to talk to the other device, a Marked cable signals the other side instead of doing it device to device.  Just something to consider going forward.
Pages: [1]   Go Up