Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon announce the EOS-1DX MKII - Full Specifications  (Read 20563 times)

dwswager

Re: Canon announce the EOS-1DX MKII - Full Specifications
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 07:41:09 am »

Experience less noise in higher ISO images via a new 20.2 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, with an ISO range of 100–51200; expansion to ISO 409600.

I'm not a Canon shooter, nor would I be popping for a $5000+ camera, but to me this is the key.  Canon has always had exceptionally functional cameras, but for the past 5 years or so the sensor development has lagged.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 07:59:47 am »

According to this http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2016/02/02/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-hands-on-review/#null the ADC is now on chip. This is good news if this is correct.

NancyP

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 09:49:46 am »

Here's hoping that the ISO improvement filters down to the small cameras soon. I could go for a 6D2.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 10:54:44 am »

According to this http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2016/02/02/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-hands-on-review/#null the ADC is now on chip. This is good news if this is correct.

Yes, very exciting news. We'll soon know what that brings in terms of DR, once the Raw files become available and can be decoded by RawDigger.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 11:17:07 am »

Just saw there is a "heat pipe" in the design to help with 4K video and heat build up.  May also help with high iso shooting also. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BJL

Canon EOS-1DX MKII - how does it handle ADC? Column-parallel now?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 12:33:33 pm »

I am curious about the details: putting ADC units on the sensor chip could mean (a) putting a few at the corners or the chip, to reduce the signal path compared with using off-board ADCs, or (b) putting one at the end of every column of photo-sites, as in the column-parallel ADC approach already adopted by everyone except Canon.

But perhaps I should not worry so much about the internal details, and instead wait to see the actual results about noise levels, pattern noise, dynamic range and so on.

UPDATE: This patent that Canon filed a few days ago might clarify:
http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=09247161&IDKey=&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpdfpiw.uspto.gov%2F
It seems to be describing the column-parallel approach: see claim 9 towards the end.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:56:48 pm by BJL »

Nick Walker

• www.sportpicturelibrary.com
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 01:59:26 pm »

On-sensor processing now done on sensor, confirmed by Canon in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsCTuDlIOD0

I have no doubt Canon will (as in the past) produce a white paper for those interested in such details.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:04:09 pm by N Walker »

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 03:02:16 pm »

Looks like we were at the same event Mark

Hope you sampled the olives they had.. they were fantastic :-)

Haha! Sorry, I'm not Mark! But I would've loved to attend that event and taste the olives.
Instagram (updated often)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 05:03:29 pm »

Another Hands on Report - note the ISO REPORT ;D ;D ;D
One thing that is noticeable is the incredible lack of noise in the shadows, something that has always plagued DSLRs. Well the 1DX II solves that, and because of it frees us all to really push our images creatively during post processing whilst retaining the quality to compete at a top professional level. Check this, ISO 32,000 in grim weather, underexposed deliberately to darken background. Looks like ISO 8000 on the 1DX. Legend.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:06:40 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 05:52:31 pm »

Another person confusing the words Canon and DSLRs. ;-)

Cheers,
Bernard

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 03:19:48 am »

Another Hands on Report - note the ISO REPORT ;D ;D ;D

Hi Josh,

High ISO has mostly to do with under exposure, and the way that it is compensated or not. Compensation can be done by changing ADC gain, or it can be merely a tag in the EXIF for the Rawprocessor to apply an exposure push (digital amplification). We have yet to see in more detail what Canon has done.

So the important news about the new sensor is that it uses on sensor chip amplification, which should produce less noise than the previous method of pre-ADC and post-ADC amplification. Assuming they have used low noise components, we could see similar results as from the Sony modern sensors, adding some 2.5 stops of DR.

But underexposure still means that due to Photon shot noise statistics, High ISO exposures will be more noisy and with lower DR than properly exposed lower ISO shots.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

AlterEgo

Re: Canon EOS-1DX MKII - how does it handle ADC? Column-parallel now?
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »

I am curious about the details: putting ADC units on the sensor chip could mean (a) putting a few at the corners or the chip, to reduce the signal path compared with using off-board ADCs, or (b) putting one at the end of every column of photo-sites, as in the column-parallel ADC approach already adopted by everyone except Canon.

But perhaps I should not worry so much about the internal details, and instead wait to see the actual results about noise levels, pattern noise, dynamic range and so on.

UPDATE: This patent that Canon filed a few days ago might clarify:
http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=09247161&IDKey=&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpdfpiw.uspto.gov%2F
It seems to be describing the column-parallel approach: see claim 9 towards the end.

http://harvestimaging.com/blog/?p=1536

this is what Canon can do (even the text about a different, non production, sensor one can assume that they have manufacturing capability to do something like this for Canon 1Dx II sensor) =

Hirofumi Totsuka of Canon presented a 250 Mpixel APS-H size imager : 1.5 um pixel pitch (4 sharing) made in 0.13 um technology node.   The device is consuming 1.97 W at full resolution 5fps.  An interesting build-in feature of this sensor is the following :  ALL pixel signals are converted by column SS-ADCs with a single ramp, but in front of the ADC, each column has its own PGA that can be switched to 4x or 1x gain, depending on the signal level.  So when the pixels are sampled, a first check is done to look whether the signal is above or below a particular reference level, and then the right gain of the PGA is set to 1x or 4x.  Simple method, but I think that the issues pop up in the reconstruction of the signal at the cross-over point between the two settings of the PGA.

Chris L

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 04:40:56 pm »

Its been pretty quiet regarding the new camera ...... has anyone seen any new reviews or examples? Supposedly some pros have had them for awhile now but I can't find much evidence online.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 09:20:47 pm »

Its been pretty quiet regarding the new camera ...... has anyone seen any new reviews or examples? Supposedly some pros have had them for awhile now but I can't find much evidence online.

The 1DXII is still displayed in major retailers WW as being available at the very end of April/beginning of May, which is also aligned with the initial Canon annoucement. It doesn't seem too surprising that actual (non paid by Canon) user reports aren't out yet.

Cheers,
Bernard

shadowblade

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2016, 09:57:08 pm »

Sounds great, if you shoot action in low light and don't need to crop. Ideal for photojournalists and sports - which, I suppose, is Canon's main target.

My targets tend to either not move, or be small/far enough that I need the ability to crop significantly while retaining lots of pixels. would gladly sacrifice frame rate for it. Will wait for the 5Ds2, 1Dxs or A9...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2016, 11:01:29 pm »

Sounds great, if you shoot action in low light and don't need to crop. Ideal for photojournalists and sports - which, I suppose, is Canon's main target.

My targets tend to either not move, or be small/far enough that I need the ability to crop significantly while retaining lots of pixels. would gladly sacrifice frame rate for it. Will wait for the 5Ds2, 1Dxs or A9...

Great to hear that you are not interested in this camera.

Will you share with us a full list of all the bodies that don't meet your needs? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 06:35:52 am »

I know what you mean - I have really struggled to make a living from my Canon DSLR's over the past 14 years or so.  Personally I'm hanging on for the 1DXs mk1V.  Hopefully that will have 100mp, 25 fps, and ISO 750,000.  If they can keep the price down too that would be a real bonus.

Jim

shadowblade

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 06:46:48 am »

I know what you mean - I have really struggled to make a living from my Canon DSLR's over the past 14 years or so.  Personally I'm hanging on for the 1DXs mk1V.  Hopefully that will have 100mp, 25 fps, and ISO 750,000.  If they can keep the price down too that would be a real bonus.

Jim

Don't need more than 1fps or ISO over 3200.

Shooting landscapes, I'd certainly struggle with a 20MP sensor these days, when printing 2.5m wide. Just like an action photographer would probably struggle with 4-5fps or less-than-ideal AF.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 08:26:54 am »

Id post my findings having lived with and used the camera.. (and paying for it- actually I purchased a 2nd one if that tells you anything) but seriously.. its such an anti Canon forum and there are so many Nikon fan boys waiting to pounce that it just isn't worth it. Id rather spend my time enjoying my photography.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 09:09:50 am »

Id post my findings having lived with and used the camera.. (and paying for it- actually I purchased a 2nd one if that tells you anything) but seriously.. its such an anti Canon forum and there are so many Nikon fan boys waiting to pounce that it just isn't worth it. Id rather spend my time enjoying my photography.

There is nothing like shooting.

I was under the impression that you were mostly into landscape, how is the 1DXII better than a 5Ds for your applications if I may ask?

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up