Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon announce the EOS-1DX MKII - Full Specifications  (Read 20559 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Canon announce the EOS-1DX MKII - Full Specifications
« on: February 01, 2016, 05:00:24 am »

http://blog.jholko.com/2016/02/01/canon-announce-the-eos-1dx-mkii/

In Brief:
Fastest shooting EOS-1D, capable of up to 14 fps* full-resolution RAW or JPEG, and up to 16 fps* in Live View mode with new Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors.
Achieves a maximum burst rate of up to 170 RAWs in continuous shooting at up to 16 fps, and 4K movies using CFast™ cards in the new CFast 2.0™** slot.
Experience less noise in higher ISO images via a new 20.2 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, with an ISO range of 100–51200; expansion to ISO 409600.
Improved AF performance through 61-point High Density Reticular AF II system with 41 cross-type points, improved center point focusing sensitivity to -3 EV and compatibility down to f/8***.
Accurate subject tracking for stills and video with new EOS Intelligent Tracking and Recognition AF with 360,000-pixel metering sensor.
4K video (4096 x 2160) up to 60 fps (59.94), with an 8.8-Megapixel still frame grab**** in camera. Full 1080p HD capture up to 120 fps for slow motion.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF & Movie Servo AF for high speed, high frame rate and continuous autofocus during video shooting.
View and control high quality stills and videos via the 3.2-inch touch panel LCD with 1.62 million dots.
Increased resolution and fine detail, with lens aberration correction and diffraction correction via new in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer technology.
Built-in GPS***** provides geotag information including auto time syncing with Universal Time Code via satellites.
The new optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E8A is compatible with IEEE 802.11ac/n/a/g/b, supporting both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi® bands.
Durable and rugged magnesium alloy body with dust- and-weather resistance for demanding shooting situations.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:20:40 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Canon announce the EOS-1DX MKII - Full Specifications
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:01:18 am »

Hi Josh,

I'm not sure that Canon has announced it yet, but there are reports and images of it on the internet.

BTW my info says it's capable of 16 frames/sec.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Josh-H

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 06:57:15 am »

Bart, if you want the official press release.. just sit tight for a few hours  :D

I did mention 16FPS - but thats only in Live View mode.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 11:26:13 am »

Sounds like an excellent pro camera. I don't need one, not being a pro.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:28:49 pm »

Sounds like an excellent pro camera. I don't need one, not being a pro.

optional wifi ...
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:42:01 pm »

optional wifi ...

But built-in GPS with a great looking prism... it reminds me of some of those Russian spy planes with radar antennas protuding out of the fuselage. ;)

If the rumored 800 mbps spec for video is confirmed, this may be one of the best 4K video cameras around.

For the rest it would seem that the still specs are pretty underwhelming, but real world AF performance will be by far the single most important characteristic of this camera for its intended usage, so the spec sheet pretty much tells us nothing. We can assume it will be better than anything before it, what we don't know is whether it will be as better/similar/worse than the D5. But then again, they are likely to be so close in overall performance that few people will consider switching, so the only question that matters is "is it better enough than the 1Dx to motivate current users to upgrade?".

Cheers,
Bernard

Josh-H

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:45:55 am »

But built-in GPS with a great looking prism... it reminds me of some of those Russian spy planes with radar antennas protuding out of the fuselage. ;)

If the rumored 800 mbps spec for video is confirmed, this may be one of the best 4K video cameras around.

For the rest it would seem that the still specs are pretty underwhelming, but real world AF performance will be by far the single most important characteristic of this camera for its intended usage, so the spec sheet pretty much tells us nothing. We can assume it will be better than anything before it, what we don't know is whether it will be as better/similar/worse than the D5. But then again, they are likely to be so close in overall performance that few people will consider switching, so the only question that matters is "is it better enough than the 1Dx to motivate current users to upgrade?".

Cheers,
Bernard

I can tell you having already seen the camera in action, held it and used it that real world ISO is probably close to 3 stops better than the current 1DX (which is still brilliant). AF is also improved considerably and IMO is the best I have ever tried or used. As a user of 2 1DX's in my day to day photography the update to ISO performance and AF make it a no brainer upgrade.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:55:41 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 01:06:37 am »

Josh,

3 stops better? Like in ISO51,200 as good as ISO6,400?

That would be very impressive.

Was that raw or jpg?

Cheers,
Bernard

Josh-H

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 01:08:33 am »

Lets just clarify before we get carried away.. I am referring to what I call the usable ISO range. That is ISO 100 - ISO 12,000. After that I loose interest in shooting subjects I cant see in the dark.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 01:33:57 am »

Lets just clarify before we get carried away.. I am referring to what I call the usable ISO range. That is ISO 100 - ISO 12,000. After that I loose interest in shooting subjects I cant see in the dark.

Ok, but you still consider 6,400 on the 1Dx II as good as 800 on the 1Dx?

Is that raw vs raw, jpg vs raw or jpg vs jpg?

cheers,
Bernard

Josh-H

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 02:47:14 am »

Ok, but you still consider 6,400 on the 1Dx II as good as 800 on the 1Dx?

Is that raw vs raw, jpg vs raw or jpg vs jpg?

cheers,
Bernard

Not sure I could have been clearer.. but hows this......

YES.

RAW vs. RAW.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 02:57:46 am »

I would like to know more about the new sensor and cleaning up the blacks, this hints at an improved DR.
When the 50mp D5 came out I wondered if that was the last throw of the dice for the old tech, I would expect to see any dr/sensor readout improvments to filter down fairly quickly to the 5.
I shoot with a 1D X  at the moment but the 5 is becoming more suitable to my needs these days.
Kevin.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 03:01:04 am »

Not sure I could have been clearer.. but hows this......

YES.

RAW vs. RAW.

Thanks for the confirmation. Considering how surprising your findings are, I just wanted to be sure I had correctly understood them. ;)

We have never seen in the past an improvement of more than 1+ stops btwn successive generations of cameras, but Canon was able to pull 3 stops this time around.

Extremely impressive!

Cheers,
Bernard

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 03:12:30 am »

That's interesting as I have held onto the 1D X because all things considered I haven't seen a better low light option out there.
Kevin.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 03:24:08 am »

Australia, as always, is the first at announcements.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBRTmOcmksT/

Specs will sure come soon once all the countries got in on the news.
Instagram (updated often)

Josh-H

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 03:47:06 am »

Australia, as always, is the first at announcements.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBRTmOcmksT/

Specs will sure come soon once all the countries got in on the news.

Looks like we were at the same event Mark

Hope you sampled the olives they had.. they were fantastic :-)
Wild Nature Photo Travel

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 03:53:03 am »

Thanks for the confirmation. Considering how surprising your findings are, I just wanted to be sure I had correctly understood them. ;)

We have never seen in the past an improvement of more than 1+ stops btwn successive generations of cameras, but Canon was able to pull 3 stops this time around.

Extremely impressive!

Cheers,
Bernard
If Canon had improved the low light by 3 stops I think it would of been the headline as that would be a major sensor upgrade, something completely new and a knock out blow.
A bit of over enthusiasm which happens, I would like it to be 3 stops better, I doubt very much they achieved that.
Kevin.

Josh-H

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 04:46:03 am »

Canon High ISO in the field Report Abraham doesn't mention stops - but if you doubt.. then just do your own testing in due course.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:49:07 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 05:25:11 am »

Canon High ISO in the field Report Abraham doesn't mention stops - but if you doubt.. then just do your own testing in due course.
Have i missed something ? the link is all about 4k video not raw high iso is that the correct link?
Kevin.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 05:37:12 am »

Have i missed something ? the link is all about 4k video not raw high iso is that the correct link?
Not that the video spec doesn't look useful for those that need it.
Kevin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up