Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon lens service  (Read 1121 times)

adias

Canon lens service
« on: January 29, 2016, 10:00:25 pm »

What is the typical price charged by Canon Service for aligning a de-centered L zoom lens? Anybody with that experience?

adias

Re: Canon lens service
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 11:12:27 pm »

No one used Canon Service?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 05:04:37 am »

No one used Canon Service?

Yes, I occasionally/rarely use Canon service, but not for a decentered L zoom lens.

Why are you asking? Can't they give you a rough idea, or are you not in agreement with their price quote?

I know they need to investigate first, which will cost money anyway, before they can be a bit more specific. They also need to determine the cause for decentering, e.g. dropped on the ground, because that may require additionally replacing bent/cracked parts and further disassembly. And if the lens is in a bad shape, they'll need more than regular CLA effort to be put in.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

orc73

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 07:38:30 am »

I did it with 1 lense, cost me 20 bucks. So I decided to do it for all my lenses :)
But then, I'm currently living in Thailand. I don't know if there is a global agreement.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 07:45:39 am »

I did it with 1 lense, cost me 20 bucks. So I decided to do it for all my lenses :)
But then, I'm currently living in Thailand. I don't know if there is a global agreement.

Assuming they did a good job, that's cheap compared to e.g. Europe. But then average wages also do not compare, and neither do tax regimes and the other cost for business expenses and housing.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 11:21:41 am »

I've sent a few lenses into canon for various issues and it seems that everytime it costs ~$300 no matter the issue (replacing aperture assembly, fixing alignment on a dropped lens, etc.). I think they just have a minimum charge and that was it. This is in the US on the free silver plan.

Why don't you call them and ask?

adias

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:26:31 pm »

I asked because they do not offer approximate quotes. I have an L zoom that is slightly soft on one side since new. Never dropped/bumped. I sent it anyway. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up