Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matte Paper Recomendations  (Read 1841 times)

u2jimbo

• exploring photography
Matte Paper Recomendations
« on: January 29, 2016, 04:08:10 pm »

My Epson R3000 seems to have blown its PK ink line.  When printing with PK ink, blobs of black ink are dropped on the left hand side of the print as the print head begins to make its pass.  I have a lot of ink left (just ordered and received two sets before the blowout).  I switched over to MK to see if I could print with that ink and I can.  I have very little experience with MK ink papers.  I have been printing for a week with Epson's "Ultra Premium Presentation Paper - Matte" which I purchased when I bought this printer (4 years ago).  The prints are all good but quite a bit "softer" than the PK inks provided.  My goal is to use up my ink trying to learn more about matte ink printing before I replace the printer.  Well, I have used up my supply of paper and still have a lot of ink left.  I am enjoying the process and would like to try some comparison printing and maybe find "that special one" in the matte category.

I am a landscape photographer, print almost entirely in color, and I like to print large (largest to date are 24x36 and 20x60 panos).  I use my printer for proofing my prints before sending them to Bay Photo, a top notch lab which allows me to choose from a wide variety of papers, and printing to build up my portfolio.

As a reference, with PK inks, I really like Epson Exhibition Fiber paper.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

howardm

Re: Matte Paper Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 04:21:47 pm »

The Canson Rag Photographique (sp) is a must-try.

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 09:26:18 pm »

I would second Howard on that, Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308 is an excellent paper, but Canson Rag Photographique 310 is marginally but noticeably better. I don't think there is a better smooth rag.

BFK Rives, now called Print Making Rag, is another exceptionally good paper, but about 50% more expensive than the Rag Photographique. It too is hot pressed, but retains slightly more texture than the Rag Photographique.

If you are only used to gloss/semi-gloss/lustre/pearl/silk/satin/semi-matte papers, then matte fine art paper may take some time to get used to. If you also frame, I would suggest buying a sheet of glass or acrylic, and comparing with that on top.

Brian A

u2jimbo

• exploring photography
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 02:24:14 pm »

Howard and Brian:

Thanks for your recommendations.  I will try each of those papers.

I have both framed and unframed images (mounted to gator board) displayed in my home.  They have been up long enough that I have come to the conclusion that I prefer matted and framed (which for my 60" wide panos is going to be an interesting project for matting).  I am in the process of looking for a 'standard' matte and frame combination along with standard papers to keep my inventory simple with less waste.  I guess, in and ideal world, I would find I really like one of these papers you have recommended and also find that its paper color is a close match to the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper - then I could settle on a single matte board...

I am finding the more I have printed on the matte paper the more I am enjoying the results.  At first, the images seemed too soft compared to some Glossy and Exhibition Fiber paper images of the same scenes I was comparing too.  The deep blacks and higher apparent contrast of the PK ink images seemed preferable.  As printing comparisons continued, I gradually began to feel like the matte images were more like my real vision of a scene.  Maybe not as related to the depth of black but certainly from a lack of glossiness.  I seemed to be able to look at an image longer without becoming aware of the paper it was printed on...  As you caution, that may go away once the image is behind glass.  One of the reasons I moved to Exhibition Fiber was to tone down the stark gloss 'over' the image.

Fun process.  I am almost thankful my PK ink line failed!

hugowolf

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 03:38:36 pm »

… in and ideal world, I would find I really like one of these papers you have recommended and also find that its paper color is a close match to the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper - then I could settle on a single matte board...

Epson Exhibition Fibre has a very high OBA content, with known fading problems. None of the papers mentioned would come close to the white of EEF.

If you want to find a matte paper with a similar specral reflectance curve, then I would suggest looking at Ernst Dinkla's Spectrum Viz app. It should be easy to find via Google.

Brian A

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 05:14:49 pm »

I've been using Moab Entrada Natural Rag for many years for both my black and white prints, using QTR, and color as well. I like it for its slightly warm tone, smooth surface, and that it is printable on both sides. When I start with an image, I rarely get it right the first time so enjoy the ability to use both sides, alternating images so I can look at a given image in a couple of variations. Then, when I'm happy, I'll make the "definitive" print. Print early, print often. There's nothing like a print.

unesco

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 05:09:40 pm »

You can try Epson Hot (smooth) and Cold (textured) Press line - magnificent results and very good OEM profiles. I prefer them instead of HM.

u2jimbo

• exploring photography
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 05:41:06 pm »

Well, Brian, I went to Ernst Dinkla's web site and read his intro (haven't yet downloaded the Spectrum Viz.app, but will).  His discussion suggested a number of other links, one of which was Aardenburg Imaging and Archives.  I just finished reading his article: On the Use of Optical Brighteners in Fine Art and Photographs".  I better understand your comments regarding Epson Exhibition Fibre paper.

I feel I am back to square one!  I am beginning to more greatly appreciate that establishing a well integrated set of printmaking materials (paper, matte, framing, glazing) is a more complicated and inter-dependant set of choices than I had imagined...

Eric, I like the idea of being able to use both sides of the paper.  Are there any "Gotchas" that you have discovered with using double sided papers?  By the way, what is QTR?

unesco, thanks for your recommendations.  I will check them out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up