Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Calibration Device  (Read 8008 times)

Lundberg02

Re: Monitor Calibration Device
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 07:17:16 pm »

Dell and X-Rite provide the capability to calibrate the LUT in Dell's wide gamut monitors using the i1Display Pro on both Windows and Mac with the added benefit that Win can be set to provide 10 bit.
When a Mac will have 10 bit is unknown to me.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 07:33:24 pm »

When a Mac will have 10 bit is unknown to me.
It (presumably) does now. At least using the time tested gradient test file, the latest version of OS X and Photoshop CC, no visible banding on-screen. But it might be some dithering, don't know. The bottom line is, what we're supposed to 'see' from a 10-bit video path is now seen in Photoshop CC and OS X.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doug Gray

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 08:21:39 pm »

It (presumably) does now. At least using the time tested gradient test file, the latest version of OS X and Photoshop CC, no visible banding on-screen. But it might be some dithering, don't know. The bottom line is, what we're supposed to 'see' from a 10-bit video path is now seen in Photoshop CC and OS X.
10 bit display mode now works on Win 10 too in PS CC on a CG318. Could be some recent update fixed it because it wasn't working not that long ago.

Don't think it's dithering since if I just move the 10 bit PS gradient over to the CG301W, an 8 bit interface but with internal LUTs, I see the usual banding. At least on Win 10.  Of course the CG318 might be dithering inside the display. There might be a way to tell by a macro photo of the pixels but I'm not going to bother.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:27:48 pm by Doug Gray »

shotupdave

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 12:39:14 am »

is this the same andrew from Santa Fe?

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 11:35:43 pm »

• Calibrate using the built-in Mac system;
  • Set screen brightness a couple of notches below max and leave it there (disable any auto-brightness features);
  • Run a test strip using a known photo and print.
  • Compare and note how they are different.

I realize this is counter-cultural on this forum, but knowing how your equipment and materials interact without relying on techno-fixes, might just make you more aware of what's really going on.

As I have said elsewhere, obsessing on colour matching is helpful if you are in product photography that demands exact colour reproduction. But for many photographers, especially the casual printers, but also those who print regularly and sell, it's good to be close and true to what you want as a photographer but over-obsessing on colour matching can be a waste of time when your client hangs your photo in their home or office with completely different lighting and wall colours.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 10:43:51 am »

As I have said elsewhere, obsessing on colour matching is helpful if you are in product photography that demands exact colour reproduction.
One person's obsession is another person simply striving for WYSIWYG, the ability to make a print with the least number of surprises, waste of ink, paper and time.
As for 'but for many photographers..." I'll let each speak for themselves.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up