Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New (to me) X100  (Read 3209 times)

Photog-x

New (to me) X100
« on: January 28, 2016, 06:05:18 pm »

I picked up a nearly mint Fuji X100 with the Fuji lens hood for just over $400 on ebay from a Japanese seller. I had the X100S in the past but didn't keep it since it wasn't very practical for my purposes, but at this price, I thought I'd go ahead and get the X100 whether it's practical or not!  :-)   After taking some test shots with it, I think I actually prefer the images from this original X100 with the standard sensor (not the X-Trans).

shotupdave

Re: New (to me) X100
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 06:21:39 pm »

I have one and love it. I bought a half case and strap. I plan on taking it as a only camera on a backpack trip. The nice thing it still uses a cable release instad of electronic shutter release.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 05:55:09 pm »

I still own, and use often an original X100.  Fuji even replaced the shutter and lens for me.  I love it.  I have traveled around the world and taken it as my primary camera in fact.  I have many really large prints in my home that came from its files upsized with AlienSkin Blow Up.  Its fantastic.  In fact the original X100 is an amazingly good long exposure camera!  (at least for landscapes and such...)

I have used the X100S and T and found that I much preferred the original.   I like the wifi, and updated features of the T...but in terms of image quality...the Bayer sensor wins me over.  Sorry X-trans.  There is just some weird traits that dont sit well in the long run with the X-trans.  Its not all images...but many images just dont look right.  It might be a lightroom thing...but it hasnt gotten any better.  And C1 didn't do it for me either with them. 

If Fuji had used the X100 sensor and gone forward with Bayer with their other cameras, I would have been a full blown Fuji user with their entire system and never looked back.  Then the E-M1 came along.  Oh well!   
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Photog-x

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:50:35 am »

I used three of their other cameras with the X-Trans and I honestly prefer the regular bayer type sensor layout now that I've used the X100 and see how it is. 

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 02:23:54 pm »

I've had Canon DSLRs for almost 15 years.  All Bayer sensors (except for the G1).  I bought an X-T1 with the X-Trans II because I thought the camera body, weight, size, controls, etc. were top notch and it reminded me of my old trusty Canon F1 (circa 1971). 

The X-Trans II sensor took me a while to figure out since I use Lightroom to handle my RAW files.  I had to take a completely different approach to sharpening from Bayer sensors  Once I got the learning curve under my belt I've been very pleased with the Fuji X-Trans and even more pleased with the colors I get as compared to my Canon DSLRs.  I no longer feel compelled to use my X-rite Passport Colorchecker to create accurate profiles for Adobe Lr/ACR. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:29:00 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Photog-x

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 04:05:48 pm »

The X-Trans II sensor took me a while to figure out since I use Lightroom to handle my RAW files.  I had to take a completely different approach to sharpening from Bayer sensors  Once I got the learning curve under my belt I've been very pleased with the Fuji X-Trans and even more pleased with the colors I get as compared to my Canon DSLRs.  I no longer feel compelled to use my X-rite Passport Colorchecker to create accurate profiles for Adobe Lr/ACR.

The X-T1 I owned had the best auto white balance I've ever seen.  Nice color and good auto white balance was certainly very easy with the X-T1.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 02:29:57 am »

I have both an X100 (which is my go to camera and is the only one I take on short foreign trips where luggage space is restricted) and an XPro-1. Use Nik for sharpening and I struggle to see which shot was taken by which camera. Maybe oters can tell but I can't. Check my Flickr site (without cheating) and see if you can work out which shot was on which sensor.

I love that X100. It just takes photographs but how I wish for an electronic remote release :)

My Flickr

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 01:06:04 pm »

Agree that the original X100 is a great camera, I had one when it was first released, sold it, regretted it, and I picked up a nice used one for $375 18 months ago. Love the images I get out of it. One of the great bargain cameras out there. With all the firmware upgrades this camera is almost fast now, which it definitely was not when first released. I've owned the X100S and the X-E1 and E2. All great cameras with great IQ, but the x-trans always played havoc with foliage and fine detail. Maybe this next round of 24 megapixel sensors will resolve that issue, because I do love the Fuji lenses, esp the 23 1.4.

mediumcool

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 04:49:08 am »

The X-Trans II sensor took me a while to figure out since I use Lightroom to handle my RAW files.

Many non-Bayer Fuji users have had excellent results with Iridient Developer (OSX only). And Capture One is considered to be superior to Lr when dealing with X-Trans sensors, and is of course available for Windows.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: [1]   Go Up