Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX1r II  (Read 957 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Sony RX1r II
« on: January 28, 2016, 11:10:38 am »

I think I've decided to get one, I like the idea of a quality smallish camera to have with me.
One think that puzzles me about the Sony and it's twin. I keep reading what a great low light sensor it is. I'm not seeing it, I don't mean its bad but it doesn't look earth shatteringly better than dare I say it Canon.
DPReview studio scene, I'm comparing with a 1D X a camera I know well and the Leica Q. I can see it is better than the Q, but not by miles as for the 1D X it doesn't look as good. Even allowing for the extra pixels, I don't see even the Sony A7sII betters the 1D X by much.
So that's a studio setup not real use, those that use cameras with the Sony 40mp sensor, what is it like in night situations under street lamps etc.
I'm looking to get it whatever, for other reason than low light. The sensor gets rave reviews and is it that good in reality after the excitement has ebbed away a tad?
Kevin.

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
Re: Sony RX1r II
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 02:56:22 pm »

I had the first version of this camera and had the new one for a few days but sent it back because the lens was clearly not aligned well with the sensor.  I will probably reorder the camera this summer because I love it so much.  But I found the new sensor is on par with the A7RII for lowlight.  I found the cameras usable up to iso 25,600 in RAW but the jpegs looked pretty bad starting around ISO 12,800.  You will surely see noise in the images past ISO 3200 but I never found it objectionable.  Also if you downsample the images to 24 or even 16mp it really cleans things up and puts the sensor up with the A7s in my opinion.  I have not shot with Canon but I have used the D4s and the D4s I thought was very similar to the a7s but with a few more mega pixels.  The Nikon had better jpegs for sure.
Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up