Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know of a list of nodal point values for using RRS pano gear?  (Read 3079 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

Obviously they will differ with different camera and lens combinations (Duh!) and while RRS has a short list on their site  I am wondering if anyone knows of an unofficial but more complete listing?

Specifically I am using a 5DS with with different lenses, mostly Canon from the EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye zoom, the EF 11-24mm f/4L to the EF 135mm f/2L, but also  the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A, 

The nodal slide I am using is the RRS MPR-II.

I'll be happy to share my findings as well.

SanderKikkert

• flickr
Re: Anyone know of a list of nodal point values for using RRS pano gear?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:28:48 am »

Would this be of help ?

http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

scroll down for a list of lenses.

Cheers, Sander

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:25:28 am »

Obviously they will differ with different camera and lens combinations (Duh!) and while RRS has a short list on their site  I am wondering if anyone knows of an unofficial but more complete listing?

Hi Ellis,

I had the same list in mind that Sander linked to. But, I'm not in favor of blindly using such listings, especially with the high resolution of your (EOS-5DS) camera. As a general idea they may suffice, but there are still too many specifics that you will need to figure out, explicitly for your setup. So you will have to do your own test anyway.

Specifically I am using a 5DS with with different lenses, mostly Canon from the EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye zoom, the EF 11-24mm f/4L to the EF 135mm f/2L, but also  the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A, 

The MPR-CL II , if that's what you use, has an integrated clamp which takes away one variable. It will ensure (within mechanical tolerances) a perpendicular placement of camera plate and fore-aft moving MPR rail in a rotating clamp on the tripod (on top of any ballhead or other tripod head).

However, shooting styles and subjects differ. The objective of placing the entrance pupil of the lens exactly on the axis of rotation can be very critical. I can e.g. see the difference in parallax or no-parallax with my TS-E 24mm II, when I miss the mark by 1/2 millimetre (that's half a millimetre!). And depending on Camera L-Plate there can be a difference between portrait and landscape orientation.

And then there is the point of focus distance and the effect that has on the entrance pupil position. Especially Fisheye lenses can have an entrance pupil position that moves quite a bit with adjusting the focus distance. So you need to settle for a No-Parallax-Point (NPP) calibration based on a common focus distance, or keep a list for different focus distances. I tend to calibrate my lenses at a shorter focus distance than infinity, like with the Fisheye I use a kind of hyperfocal distance (approx. 4 metres) at f/8 for large interiors or 360 degree VR panos.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:37:23 am »

I'll be happy to share my findings as well.

I am generally in favor of testing my own setups (Cameras, Lenses and equipment) as well as focus points of the lens. 

However, depending on how anal you are or how much "correction" in post you are willing to suffer, then obviously every camera from a particular manufacturer is going to have an identical sensor to flange distance and lenses are all the same (within minor sample to sample variation).  Hence, a one time measurement would give identical results of a particular lens on any similar model camera.  Compounding this is the focus points used.

What discouraged me from trying to use other peoples measurements is the lack of precision in the test methods leads to wildly disparate results for even identical camera/lens combinations.  Even the list on RRS website has some extreme disparities (10s of mm) for the same lens.

Pages: [1]   Go Up