Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pointing at the Moon  (Read 1820 times)

Jens Peermann

Pointing at the Moon
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:55:53 am »

The full moon made an appearance last Sunday morning at Manly Beacon in death Valley and the beacon is pointing that out.

A7, EF 135/2 @ f/8

sdwilsonsct

Re: Pointing at the Moon
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:18:12 am »

Very nice, Jens. I wonder if there is some chromatic aberration above the moon.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 10:21:47 am »

Yes beautiful scene but the ring at the edge of the moon looks a little unnatural. Did you have to do much processing to the moon specifically or is that just lens artifacts? Seems like it could be tamed a bit starting with automatic CA removal if you haven't done that yet.

Otherwise it's a very nice composition and has great tones all around.
-MattB

Jens Peermann

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 10:35:05 am »

The halo around the moon is moisture in the air. It had rained the previous day, the first time ever for me to get wet in Death Valley, and the air was still pretty moist.

polaris-14

• Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 12:31:44 pm »

Very interesting shot! Death Valley is probably one of my favorite place to take pictures. I like the composition here and the use of telephoto is very appropriate. I understand that the halo around the moon is a natural phenomenon but I do feel it's a little distracting. Maybe it's just me though.
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr

sierraman

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 01:55:37 pm »

Nice image. I think a little more sky would be helpful as the moon seems to slightly overwhelm the image. There also seems to be a lot of detail in the moon for the longer exposure needed for the foreground? Is it a composite image? Still nice.  :)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 08:23:50 pm »

Very good image.

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:52:05 pm »

Really nice Jens! I have not figured out my attraction to this image, but I like it.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

Jens Peermann

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 10:07:29 am »

Thanks to everybody who commented on this. I really appreciate it.

Caving in to popular demand I removed the halo around the moon. I still like as much without it as I liked it with it. So, no difference for me.

Regarding Sierraman's observation about the size of the sky, during the shoot this turned into an exercise in rule-of-thirds composing after I saw that I could arrange it so the foremost layer covers roughly the bottom third of the frame, the sky covers the top third of the frame and Manly Beacon can be place roughly one third from the right edge. And that's what I did. I will use big sky again next time I'm in Montana. ;D

And regarding the detail on the moon, this was just minutes - if not seconds - away from sunrise, so the rocks are already very well illuminated with diffused light, which does not create much contrast.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:12:21 am by Jens Peermann »

sierraman

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 10:15:50 am »

Thanks for the info. The image looks even better now!  :)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 11:37:40 am »

I'm a little bit sorry that you caved and removed the halo, Jens. For me, living in the American Northeast, it is rare to see a moon without some halo, so your original version looked just right to me.

I'll admit that the halo-less version conforms more to normal Death Valley atmospheric conditions.

It's a great image, either way.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 12:30:39 pm »

I didn't mind that there was a halo, it was just that the green tint to it didn't look right to me.
I think the best image may still include the halo, but with some adjustment so it doesn't look like CA.

Looking again, I would have loved to see that point of rock cross the horizon instead of being so aligned with it. Not sure if that would have been possible but crossing the horizon with an element like that can tie all your layers together nicely.

Anyway, still a great shot, these are just small ways I think it could be greater.
-MattB

thierrylegros396

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 12:59:35 pm »

I like the foreground very much !

Thierry

nma

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 02:50:04 pm »

Yes! Really nice.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 03:34:03 pm »

I didn't mind that there was a halo, it was just that the green tint to it didn't look right to me.

^1. But perhaps the green was just yellow moon + blue sky.

It's your image, Jens. Just ignore us.   ;)

Jens Peermann

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 08:23:09 pm »

^1. But perhaps the green was just yellow moon + blue sky.

It's your image, Jens. Just ignore us.   ;)

Art requires imagination as well as listening to the reactions. It can't fly on just one wing.

Jens Peermann

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 08:30:44 pm »

Looking again, I would have loved to see that point of rock cross the horizon instead of being so aligned with it. Not sure if that would have been possible but crossing the horizon with an element like that can tie all your layers together nicely.

During pre-meditation I was dreaming about having Manly Beacon (that rock) sticking out way above the distant range, and also have the moon three times as large as it is rendered now. Sadly, the terrain doesn't allow to go any lower without the foreground rocks blocking the beacon, or stepping back further to use longer glass and enlarge the moon without enlarging the beacon. I actually scouted the area on the previous day to find the best spot possible.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 01:07:41 am »

During pre-meditation I was dreaming about having Manly Beacon (that rock) sticking out way above the distant range, and also have the moon three times as large as it is rendered now. Sadly, the terrain doesn't allow to go any lower without the foreground rocks blocking the beacon, or stepping back further to use longer glass and enlarge the moon without enlarging the beacon. I actually scouted the area on the previous day to find the best spot possible.

I understand that struggle all too well! :)
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up