Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some comparisons between my Sony Alpha A7rII and my Hasselblad V and P45+ back  (Read 9292 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

Butcher's getting old.  LF equipment appears to be pretty heavy for him nowadays, it appears.  You got to do what you got to do.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com

Right, we're all getting older. Myself now shooting a lot more from the A6000 than from the EOS in part for the heft. But if quality was not there, I would be mainly using the EOS gear or as a matter of fact the Hasselblad V with Velvia or the Tachihara 4X5 with Astia.
Eduardo

Butcher's getting old.  LF equipment appears to be pretty heavy for him nowadays, it appears.  You got to do what you got to do.

synn

• My fine art portfolio

I agree with Zorki.
I think it is unfortunate for the sensor size hierarchy but the Sony combo is visibly sharper.
Eduardo

It has a lot less to do with the sensor hierarchy than what's in front of the sensor.
I have seen much sharper images from the P45+ mated to a more modern body and lenses than what Erik usually posts.

Not a knock on Erik, just that when you use legacy gear, expect legacy results.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi Synn,

The lens I used for the large tree trunk was shot with the Hasselblad Zeiss 100/3.5, it is known to be one of Hasselblad's sharpest lenses. Hasselblad compares this lens with the HC2.2 100/3.5 at infinity here:
http://static.hasselblad.com/2015/02/the_evolution_of_lenses.pdf

Now, what Hasselblad writes about the lens is not very relevant for my sample. On the other hand, I have shot my sample on the A7rII and it performs really well, it outresolves the Sony sensor and it is a good match for the Sony 90/2.8G.

I have also developed the P45+ image with Capture One 9.0.2 using default sharpening, it oversharpens quite a bit, check the enclosed MTF. MTF between 0 and 40 lp/mm exceeds 1.0, which means oversharpening. LR 6 is nearly ideal in this case. But LR 6 has a lot more colour aliasing than C1.

These shots were about finding out the lens and all shots were at approximately at 50x focal length.

John Lytton has also posted a comparison, using a Canon 5DsR with a Sigma 70/2.8 macro and a Zeiss 120/4 APO Macro Planar, with a Contax 645 and an IQ160. He also found those images similar.
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107680.msg886251#msg886251

Now, the Zeiss 120/4 APO Macro may also be regarded to be a legacy lens but it is a modern design, with floating elements and said to have apochromatic correction.

Best regards
Erik

Sorry for technical stuff, I know you dislike curves and technical discussion, but being an engineer I find that a curve says more than 1000 web size images.

So I enclose and image that is utterly irrelevant in the context but has been take a few hours ago:

It has a lot less to do with the sensor hierarchy than what's in front of the sensor.
I have seen much sharper images from the P45+ mated to a more modern body and lenses than what Erik usually posts.

Not a knock on Erik, just that when you use legacy gear, expect legacy results.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:23:41 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up