Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tavel tripod load  (Read 1084 times)

wooster

Tavel tripod load
« on: January 21, 2016, 09:34:47 am »

Hi all

I'm looking for a travel tripod and am intrigued by the Mefoto Roadtrip which seems to be pretty good. The most I'd put on it is a Canon 5Dmk 3 with 100-400, though mostly would be my Fuji kit which is very light

Is the tripod max load quoted when it is at it's lowest height? I'm assuming so. I also assume this would be able to cope with my 100-400 set up and also if I was using lighter gear, would allow me to stick around 7 or 8lbs bag on the column loop for stability when in inclement conditions.

I'm wondering if this would allow me to do this with the legs "( not the column ) fully extended.

This is easily the most difficult forum to post on. I mean I can understand wanting to stop spam but the verification questions!!!!!!! What's up with them?

Thank you for your help

bassman51

Re: Tavel tripod load
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 07:29:37 pm »

I have the Roadtrip.  I use it primarily with my E-M1, and not longer than the 35-100.  With that weight and FoV, I need to be very careful with my technique.  I'm much happier with my Gitzo 2 series if I can bring it.   

I'd be concerned about the Canon, and ok with the Fuji. 

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

stever

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:41:32 pm »

I occasionally use a 5D3 and 100-400 on a light tripod with cable, remote release, or timer, but the 100-400ii IS is so good I rarely use a tripod.  If the wind is blowing light tripods are so flexible that extra weight is not terribly effective with a camera and lens that have so much surface area.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 07:49:18 pm »

I have a Fuji X-T1 and have occasionally put my Canon 7D with 100-400 on my Sirui M-3204X Carbon Fiber 4 Section Tripod.  I'm tall and was enticed by its 69.7" max Height.  I found it to be well made, light and comes with a great carrying case.  I'm sure that the conventional wisdom is to get the most steady (heavy) tripod you're willing to carry.  Since I mostly use my Fuji these days I'm delighted by this tripod.  I'm sure there are many fine tripods available that won't break the bank like a Gitzo or RRS.
Regards,
Ron

wooster

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 04:34:27 am »

Thanks for the advice folks.

Given your experiences, it seems I could be confident using the Roadtrip with the Fuji and I guess for 95% of my time I'd be using the Fuji with it. If I go on holiday then that's the camera I take. if I'm at home I would also use it most. For situations where I would use the FF I suppose there wouldn't be the need to scale down from my usual tripod.

Thank you for your help :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up