Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji 16 F1.4 vs Nikon 24 F1.8  (Read 4319 times)

armand

• Photos
Fuji 16 F1.4 vs Nikon 24 F1.8
« on: January 19, 2016, 04:18:44 pm »

A quick comparison (as I had nothing better to do).
Obviously there are limitations but I have both systems so I'm interested in how they compare. As opposed to other comparison I did in the past where I handheld here I tried to get the best of each so:

- tripod in the same spot
- 2 sec delay both
- base ISO
- my usual sharpening

I did not size match them and Nikon underexposed a little vs Fuji.
Fuji did have nicer colors by default but the lens performance is underwhelming.
This applies only for short flat field distance ~ 2m away.

What I did not expect was how much easier was to focus in live view with the Nikon vs the Fuji. This could have played a role in the focus accuracy wide open.

armand

• Photos
Re: Fuji 16 F1.4 vs Nikon 24 F1.8
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 04:19:29 pm »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 07:47:23 pm »

Hello Armand,

Try this test @ infinity and i suspect the difference will be even greater.
As you know i have also bought the nikon lens.
I think it is very very good.
Do you have split level Liveview in that camera? I use it ( d810) to focus the whole area and only then i get everything out of the lens.
cheers PK
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

JaapD

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:24:41 am »

SLRgear has tested both lenses and they came with a different conclusion. From f/2.8 onwards the Fuji 16mm is the better lens. Needless to say that the Nikon 14mm is very good nevertheless.

Here are the links I’m referring to:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/fujinon/xf-16mm-f1.4-r-wr/review/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/nikon/24mm-f1.8g-ed-af-s-nikkor/review/

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 08:59:28 am »

SLRgear has tested both lenses and they came with a different conclusion. From f/2.8 onwards the Fuji 16mm is the better lens. Needless to say that the Nikon 14mm is very good nevertheless.

Here are the links I’m referring to:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/fujinon/xf-16mm-f1.4-r-wr/review/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/nikon/24mm-f1.8g-ed-af-s-nikkor/review/

I got the Fuji because it did well in testing, here though it was much worse than expected. I'm not sure why, I might repeat the test with a different target but I can tell you that manual focusing was not great with it, quite unusual for a Fuji. On the Nikon the image just popped in liveview.
The images are what they are, I kind of wanted the Fuji to test better. Handheld for so so shutter speeds I'm sure the difference will be smaller.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 11:39:35 am »

Armand, which Fuji camera body and firmware version did you use?
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 03:53:29 pm »

Armand, which Fuji camera body and firmware version did you use?

X-T1, last firmware available (4.2 I think). I don't think it matters that much as I focused manually using liveview at 100% magnification. On the Fuji though it was difficult to see exactly how well it's focused, I had to go back and forth several times (did not use focus peaking or the split prism this time as it should have been easy without). I might repeat the test using autofocus but I don't think it will make a difference on more than wide open as the other shots should be well within the DOF.

It will have to wait a little though as I first plan to compare the Nikon 24 F1.8, 18-35 F3.5-4.5 and 24-120 F4 @24mm (trying to rationalize lens choices for a future travel).

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 04:35:31 pm »

It could well be a problem of field curvature;
Armand tested it on a planar surface...
The slightest change in focus can change the whole outcome with those 24mm lenses so i have learned.
Some are really sharp, but not planar sharp- the 24mm 1.8G Nikkor is good @ exactly that.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:20:28 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 08:36:02 pm »

I think I have early onset dementia.
For my near future trip I'll be going with 2 systems (plus a Sony RX10 iv) so I'm trying to decide what lenses to take.
So for night photography I'm thinking I want a 24 mm equiv bright lens (in addition to the 14 2.8 that I will take).
The choices are between Fuji 16 1.4 and Nikon 24 1.8; the Nikon is a touch lighter but bulkier. I'll take the FTZ adapter anyway so I won't count it.
So I'm googling a comparison between these 2 and the first result is this. I totally forgot I did this.

Any more experience, particularly night photography?

PS. Why 2 systems + Sony?
Nikon Z7 has the better quality and this will be a photo priority outing with day hikes only. So I want to take it. I don't have enough lenses though which leads me to take the Fuji with the 10-24, +/- 16 and the 35 1.4. The other option would be to take the 18-35 with the FTZ adapter but I doubt is as good as the 10-24. That and I don't really want all my shots at 46MP.
The Sony is for telephoto and it's versatile enough to be backup for most things.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 08:37:43 pm »

PPS. Initially I got the Fuji because it fits easier in the bag and it's nice to shoot in the same time long exposures with 14 and 24 equiv. Now I'm not so sure anymore.
Pages: [1]   Go Up