Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kenko teleconverter or extension tube for Macro?  (Read 5140 times)

Stuart Rickmann

Kenko teleconverter or extension tube for Macro?
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:48:05 am »

Hi, I'm not able to make up my mind regarding shooting Macros, using a 50mm and 135mm lens (Nikon D800).

I bought a cheap extension tube and it comes apart every time I turn the focus ring. It seems like the lens is just going to fall off, and I've had it with it.

When should you choose a teleconverter over extension tubes for Macro? Short of a macro lens, which is the most robust solution? Is Kenko a good brand for either?

brianrybolt

Re: Kenko teleconverter or extension tube for Macro?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 11:21:28 am »

Buy a decent extension tube (Nikon).  You can probably find them used on eBay and elsewhere.  I would stay away from Kenco.

Good luck,
Brian

Isaac

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:25:48 am »

If you don't need much working distance, an achromatic diopter is another possibility.

Stuart Rickmann

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 09:24:50 am »

Thanks guys! I'll look into it.

Mike H

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 02:16:16 pm »

For teleconverters the Kenko ones are pretty good value for money. I use Canon gear and while the Kenko tc is pretty good while I admit that the Canon does beat it the difference in quality may not be worth nearly three times the cost - a very personal choice. I have never had a problem with the fitting of my Kenko tc.

The extension tubes are, IMO, a better option because they have no additional glass in the lightpath and you can vary the magnification by the number of extension tubes you add. Extension tubes do end up shortening the focal distance and with something like the 50mm lens the distance between the front element of the lens and the subject can be literally millimetres. The teleconverter does not affect the focal distance.

The achromatic lens that Isaac refers to (also called a close-up filter) screws into the filter thread of your lens and can cost more than a set of high-quality extension tubes. But the advantage they do have is that it is easier to fit in the field, and you do not lose light (it does not affect the exposure time) like happens with extension tubes. The cheapest close-up filters cost as little as $5 and as they get more expensive the main difference is the better
image quality as you move away from the centre of the image.

TC over extension tubes? I have never really thought about it because my automatic reaction is to reach for the extension tubes, but it is really about magnification - if you look at the specifications of your lens the tc will give you 1.4x or 2x that depending on your t/c and while that is fine for close-ups of butterflies or small animals it may not be enough for small insects and that is where the extension tubes take over.

Stuart Rickmann

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 05:19:29 am »

Thank you, I'll probably buy used or new Nikon extension tubes. Expensive, but cheaper than macro lenses!

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:53:59 am »

I would stay away from Kenco.

Why? I have used Kenko set (12, 20, 36mm) with Canon lenses, and never had any issues.

Good mechanical quality, no optical elements (thus no possible IQ compromises), what's not to like?

brianrybolt

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 05:33:26 am »

Why? I have used Kenko set (12, 20, 36mm) with Canon lenses, and never had any issues.

Good mechanical quality, no optical elements (thus no possible IQ compromises), what's not to like?

Good Mechanical quality is dubious over the long run.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 06:23:31 am »

Good Mechanical quality is dubious over the long run.

Well, not my experience.

Never had an issue even when stacking several tubes: everything sits tight, no squeaking, wobbling etc.

pw-pix

• My Flickr stream
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 03:59:08 am »

Nikon don't make any modern auto extension tubes.
The Kenko ones are good, I've used them with a 300/2.8 and a 70-200/2.8 with no issues.

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 04:41:30 pm »

My Kenko auto set is fine. I am not sure that the communications are 100%, though. Once or twice the 40mm pancake stopped focus-by-wire. My USM lenses are perfectly happy.

Christoph B.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 08:47:31 am »

Extension tubes when you can close the distance to your subject without any problems.

Teleconverter when you have to maintain a certain distance to your subject but you want to magnify it further without cropping.

If you're shooting very shy animals a teleconverter might be the better idea but if you're shooting flowers the extension tube is probably a better idea. But you'll have the same problems with camera shake and light loss with both methods (magnification always reduces the amount of light on your film/sensor and vibrations will become more of a problem with slow shutter speeds).

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 10:38:32 am »

Teleconverters increase magnification, but unless you put them on a macro lens or a lens that focuses very close you're not going to get real macro capabilities. Also Image Quality is affected by the extra optical elements.

Tubes are a cheap way to get into macro and so are optical diopters. With the former you'll stay away from your subject a bit more then the latter (when used on the same lens) which can be a factor when shooting small critters that might easily be scared away.

I never had any trouble with my Kenko tubes. I have two sets, one for my old Olympus OM lenses (> 20 years old) and one for my Minolta A-mount AF lenses (now about 10 years old). Both keep working flawless with no mechanical problems (mounting/dismounting, aperture levers and AF drive-shaft)
pieter, aka pegelli

fredweymouth

• Lens & Landscape Photography Podcast
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 07:54:35 pm »

I own kenko extension tubes as well as a close up filter. I prefer the close up lens, a canon 500d.

Tubes are a pain to me, I love the simplicity of the close up lens, which threads on to the front of the lens on your camera body.
Fred Weymouth|Tucson, AZ
Host, Lens & Landscape Photography Podcast
www.LensandLandscape.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up