Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: deconvolution sharpening plug in  (Read 54660 times)

marcmccalmont

Re: deconvolution sharpening plug in
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 09:10:39 am »

Hello,

currently piccure+ is compatible with PS (CS4 or later), PSE (7 or later), LR (3 or later), DxO (9 or later) and PhaseOne C1 (8 or later). We have not tested it with AF - sorry to hear that it crashed the computer. However, there is a standalone version available (including a RAW converter). You find a lot about piccure+ in the internet and forums and on our homepage (just google). It is currently the only solution that corrects spatially-varying complex optical aberrations (e.g. coma) as well as camera shake (e.g. micro-shakes) by the means of (blind) deconvolution. You do not need to specify a lens, some motion trace etc. The software does all that for you, there is a 30-days free trial with no limitations on functionality.
Best,
Lui
Co-Founder
Any discounts for first time users?
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

walter.sk

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 04:17:37 pm »

[piccure+ plus]   is currently the only solution that corrects spatially-varying complex optical aberrations (e.g. coma) as well as camera shake (e.g. micro-shakes) by the means of (blind) deconvolution. You do not need to specify a lens, some motion trace etc. The software does all that for you, there is a 30-days free trial with no limitations on functionality.
Best,
Lui
Co-Founder
I've been a user of Focus Magic since it was offered many years ago.  I just downloaded Piccure+Plus and tried it with several of my images, and found that on some, the default setttings did a better job of deconvolution than I was ever able to achieve with Focus Magic, the Detail tab of LR or Camera RAW, the Topaz InFocus, and some others.  I am still trying to figure out the controls of Piccure+Plus for the other images (I read the user manual but need time to work with it.)

For those images it worked well with, I found no artifacts and stunning deblurring with no work on my part!  This looks like quite a powerful program! 

marcmccalmont

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 09:37:00 am »

I've been a user of Focus Magic since it was offered many years ago.  I just downloaded Piccure+Plus and tried it with several of my images, and found that on some, the default setttings did a better job of deconvolution than I was ever able to achieve with Focus Magic, the Detail tab of LR or Camera RAW, the Topaz InFocus, and some others.  I am still trying to figure out the controls of Piccure+Plus for the other images (I read the user manual but need time to work with it.)

For those images it worked well with, I found no artifacts and stunning deblurring with no work on my part!  This looks like quite a powerful program!

I just gave piccure+ a try and wow very very good
Marc McCalmont

brianrybolt

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 10:52:35 am »

piccure+ plus is interesting and some good results happen BUT it is incredibly SLOW.  Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole until they speed it up.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 09:17:18 pm »

I just gave piccure+ a try and wow very very good

Could you post a before on that 100% crop jpeg so we can see Piccure+'s magic?

This is about the second or third time someone has posted finished results using some type of image sharpening and/or clarity enhancing software and not show a before. If they went to the trouble of posting finished samples why not post the before?

Really nice shot of Bryce Canyon. Probably the best I've seen and I've seen quite a few. And certainly I wouldn't go all that way out there and shoot that detailed of a landscape with anything less than a high rez Phase One camera.

walter.sk

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 10:16:23 pm »

Here is a Canon 5Diii image shot with the Canon 100-400 zoom.  It was RAW, with no adjustments in ACR and the Sharpening and Noise settings set to 0.  I used the Piccure+ plugin in Photoshop CC 2015, with the following settings:

Method: Lens+
Speed-Quality set to Quality+
Optical Aberration set to Micro
Smooth-Sharp set to Smooth (0)
No CA adjustment.

The only place I can see artifacts is at the tops of the letters in the sign, at 200% and greater. 

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 01:24:16 am »

Thanks for making the effort to post these examples, Walter. Looks like Piccure+ does a fair job of sharpening without kicking up micro-fine noise along edges. I'm assuming there are enough setting parameters to get crisper results without too much noise.

The cyan halo artifact at the top of the white letters is actually in the original. I can see it.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 01:01:16 pm »

I have all the three plugins - Topaz InFocus, piccure+, FocusMagic.

For capture sharpening, FocusMagic works very well, better than Topaz InFocus in my view. I use piccure+ mostly for correcting motion-blurred images and in several cases have been astonished with the recovery. But yes, very slow (even with a souped up trashcan Mac Pro).

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:14:16 pm by Rajan Parrikar »

marcmccalmont

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 10:48:01 am »

Could you post a before on that 100% crop jpeg so we can see Piccure+'s magic?

This is about the second or third time someone has posted finished results using some type of image sharpening and/or clarity enhancing software and not show a before. If they went to the trouble of posting finished samples why not post the before?

Really nice shot of Bryce Canyon. Probably the best I've seen and I've seen quite a few. And certainly I wouldn't go all that way out there and shoot that detailed of a landscape with anything less than a high rez Phase One camera.
yes I'll do that for you but it will be a JPEG so neither will look like a high rez TIFF
Marc McCalmont

marcmccalmont

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 11:36:25 am »

Pre and Post sharpened C1 raw conversion with sharpen set at 0
Piccure+ set at quality+, sharpen 27, denoise off
The tree on the left was near the limit of the DOF and towards the outer edge of the image circle
Marc
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:41:24 am by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 04:07:54 pm »

Pre and Post sharpened C1 raw conversion with sharpen set at 0
Piccure+ set at quality+, sharpen 27, denoise off
The tree on the left was near the limit of the DOF and towards the outer edge of the image circle
Marc

Thanks, Marc. That's impressive.

Applied CS5's Smart Sharpen to your pre-sharpen version and I couldn't come close. Don't know if CS6 and above can do a better job. I noticed Piccure+ gives nice even sharpening across various low to high frequency detail almost like an adjustment mask but without having to paint it back in at different blend levels.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 04:25:13 pm »

Did my LR4 upsample test on the post sharpened version going from 3000x2000 pixel to poster size and it passed with flying colors. Has the same clean soft line look of wall sized movie posters I view up close at my local theater. See the screenshot from a 50% zoom view in Photoshop.

m_rouleau

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2016, 07:12:27 am »

Thanks, Marc. That's impressive.

Applied CS5's Smart Sharpen to your pre-sharpen version and I couldn't come close. Don't know if CS6 and above can do a better job. I noticed Piccure+ gives nice even sharpening across various low to high frequency detail almost like an adjustment mask but without having to paint it back in at different blend levels.

Adobe's had a number of different iterations of Smart Sharpen. The latest (in CC) is by far the best.

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 09:04:36 am »

Adobe's had a number of different iterations of Smart Sharpen. The latest (in CC) is by far the best.

I'd be interested in a comparison.  Are there any online tests that show this?

Jack

rdonson

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2016, 10:33:41 am »

Marc and Tim these are indeed impressive results.

Now I'm wondering how well it would work on Fuji X-Trans sensors such as my X-T1 or the new XPro2.
Regards,
Ron

TonyW

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2016, 12:04:12 pm »

I think there is a little more going under the hood than just one simple round of deconvolution sharpening. 

I do not think you can get the same as Tim's and Marc examples just using Smart Sharpen in PS or in LR alone.  I believe a round of USM or applying HP sharpening will greatly narrow the difference.

Quick play CS6 first using Smart Sharpen then on a duplicate layer applied low level USM.  FWIW maybe a touch too much but..

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2016, 03:32:26 pm »

I think there is a little more going under the hood than just one simple round of deconvolution sharpening. 

I do not think you can get the same as Tim's and Marc examples just using Smart Sharpen in PS or in LR alone.  I believe a round of USM or applying HP sharpening will greatly narrow the difference.

Quick play CS6 first using Smart Sharpen then on a duplicate layer applied low level USM.  FWIW maybe a touch too much but..

Tony, you worked off the already post sharpen (with Piccure+) version I upsampled in LR4 so you're not making an accurate comparison. Try your sharpening technique on Marc's original pre-sharpened version and then layer yours over Piccure+ version as I did in Photoshop and turn the layer view off/on. I applied Smart Sharpen in CS5 and couldn't get the same amount of sharpening consistency across a wide range of high to low frequency detail without introducing edge artifacts.

Piccure+ appears to analyze edge contrast ratio across the image and apply varying thicknesses of edge sharpening much like masking but a more dynamically adjusting masking according to high to low frequency detail in the image. It's not the same as USM which applies the same thickness of sharpening on all edges regardless of fine detail or edges along broad flat areas.

TonyW

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2016, 05:19:38 pm »

Hi Tim
No, what you are seeing on the left is my version from Marc's pre sharpening version with my initial sharpen using Smart Sharpen, lens blur, more accurate with a radius of around 0.7 and amount no more than 200.
Then a dup layer where I used USM at around 0.3 (ish) and moderate amount.

To compare against yours on the right Upsampled in CS6 to 8000+ pixels then zoom to 50% and screen capture side by side using Snipping tool.

TBH, I do not feel that we should really draw much conclusion about comparisons due to working with JPEG which has already been baked and lost say half of its colour data and maybe some luminosity data along the way.  It would be better to test on raw images staying 16 bit until we have to save for web

I have not tried the application and am not suggesting it does not live up to its claims just what little I have seen I have not thought it showing anything dramatically different to what can be achieved using similar methods to the above.  I may be wrong of course and YMMV

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:29:34 pm by TonyW »

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2016, 06:08:55 pm »

Your version on the left is a screengrab that is not at Marc's original 100% crop/zoom factor. You've zoomed in on the jpeg compression which gives the impression of more micro-fine detail which looks like artifacts on my screen. Also the reduced saturation suggests you didn't preserve the embedded AdobeRGB profile from Marc's original crop. I get a warning of an embedded Argb profile when opening in CS5 Photoshop. The preview is noticeably more saturated than your screengrab.

When you do comparisons keep everything the same. Why didn't you just apply your sharpening to the pre-sharpened version and upload it here. No screengrabs.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2016, 06:16:51 pm »

Tony, your uploaded image doesn't have an embedded profile so I'm guessing that's the cause of the desaturation. Got to embed a profile when doing A/B comparisons?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up