Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto Multispot  (Read 14265 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Profoto Multispot
« on: January 13, 2016, 12:30:39 pm »

Picked this guy up over the holidays.  1200Ws fresnel head the size of an Arri 300.  I'm digging the quality of light...

-CB

deliberate1

Re: Profoto Multispot
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 12:44:22 pm »

Real nice image. But, then again, I am a sucker for any image that features a vintage Eames Lounge and LCW chair. Very nice interior.
David

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 12:47:33 pm »

Very nice light quality. 

I know it is 1200 ws, but do you feel the light output is greater then with just a 1200 ws head in a standard reflector? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Barrett

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:01:34 pm »

Well, I can throw a D1 1000 up in it's place and see...  I don't have any standard Acute heads, tho.

EDIT:  Drag, no.  I was getting f/16 out of the Fresnel @ 1200Ws and f/22 1/2 out of the D1 1000 open face with a 7" reflector.  Hmm.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:52:35 pm by Chris Barrett »

Chris Barrett

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 02:56:49 pm »

Here's an open faced D1 for comparison... (shadow edges suck)

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 04:44:29 pm »

Well, I can throw a D1 1000 up in it's place and see...  I don't have any standard Acute heads, tho.

EDIT:  Drag, no.  I was getting f/16 out of the Fresnel @ 1200Ws and f/22 1/2 out of the D1 1000 open face with a 7" reflector.  Hmm.

I love fresnels but no surprise here they have the worst power input to light output ratio and 1200J is an extremely low rating IMO. We usually place fresnels quite close behind a diffusion they have a unique light fall of. If you intend to have a sharp shadow use a fresnel spot without the lens. If my mind serves me well Profoto had something like that, called hard box? BTW this is no Profoto head it´s made by Bacht in Germany, a company that is doing some very good stuff. Cheers!

Ken R

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 06:25:34 pm »

The Muiltispot looks much nicer. I love Fresnels, specially large ones. Always wanted to modify one for use with a profoto head. Haven't gotten around to do it yet.

Chris Barrett

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 06:29:47 pm »

Ulf, when I was doing my initial research, I did come across the Bacht lights.  Not surprised Profoto contracted this out to them.  Also, you're dead on about opening the fresnel.  I used to do that with a 2k in the studio for razor sharp shadow lines.

The flash tube for this is custom and creates more of a point source.  I hope mine lasts forever, they're $900US to replace.

CB

gazwas

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 07:08:58 am »

Love that hard shadow and with a straw filter that would look like beautiful morning/evening low sun through a window rather than a hall/another room.

Just looked on the bacht website and they do all sorts of lovely lighting goodies.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Chris D

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 08:29:00 am »

Chris, why not one of the bigger LED fresnel's?  With how adjustable they are(dimmable, color temp, +- green), I've been intrigued by replacing both my tungsten kit and strobe kit with some led's...  I'd think one of the bigger ones would be bright enough to overpower sunlight for interiors. 

Chris Barrett

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 10:04:04 am »

Yeah, actually an Arri L10 or L7 may do the trick.  I'm not sure if you could get as sharp a shadow.  This unit just seemed kind of fun for some reason.

Chris Barrett

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 10:14:36 am »

This is with the Fresnel opened up.  Shadows are even more defined.  The head is 20' from the red candles.  Little spottable LED on the lounge chair just for fun.

gazwas

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 10:41:23 am »

Even nicer like that - just typing an email to Bacht now to see how much for a bron fit version.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 11:59:57 am »

Been checking out Bacht's website; their product range is pretty awesome. 

Their ellipsoid spot looks pretty sweet; could be great to light up just those labels on the front of bottles.  A little over $10K though, so nothing I am going to be buying soon.  :(

JoeKitchen

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 02:38:47 pm »

They appear to make three different Fresnel spots, 2000 ws, 3200 ws, and 6400 ws. 

I wonder how much the 3200 and 6400 versions are? 

Also wonder were to get a 6400 ws power pack? 

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 05:45:48 pm »

They appear to make three different Fresnel spots, 2000 ws, 3200 ws, and 6400 ws. 

I wonder how much the 3200 and 6400 versions are? 

Also wonder were to get a 6400 ws power pack?

These have entire different sizes as well, the fresnel lens and the flash tube itself, so don´t expect the same light. See James post about the difference of strobe and tungsten Arris. A flashtube cannot be manufactured as point source, the more power the bigger the shape and also not proper in focus of the mirror and the lens, so the outcome will be kind of softer than originally designed. With those higher power ratings you also encounter a longer flash duration, broncolor made 6400J power packs (called A8). More than 3200J is reaching out for high voltage systems though.
James, BTW what are broncolor blue PARs? Never heard of such and I thought I knew the entire broncolor HMI line (from those old "scan back" 575/1200W up to the recent offerings). Getting used to HMI PARs I feel them really missing in a flash system. If you like defined shadows nothing beats an ellipsoid spot or a open HMI bulb (of course with clear UV dome).
Cheers,

Ulf

Brent Daniels

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 01:21:42 am »

The newer Profoto / Bacht fresnel spots are much nicer than the ones that Profoto, Broncolor, and Elichrom were doing some time ago with a head stuck into the back of a housing with a fresnel lens in front, and no parabolic inside. Those were just sad.

The Bacht 6400 could be made with a split cable such as a Profoto or Bron bi-tube head and run 2 Profoto 2400 or 2 Bron Scoro 3200 packs. Just a bit more light if needed than a 1200 ws version. Ummm just how much is that 6400 Bacht fresnel? That could be sweet toy!

Funny thing is Profoto sold a true fresnel housing that one could put in / take out any Profoto head into about 20 yrs ago. It was basically a 2K Desisti fresnel housing with a post mount for a Pro 5 head. Then they followed the competitors lead to a fake non true fresnel. Why? Who knows. They never had the look of a true fresnel light. Still have that great fresnel housing with a Pro-5 4800 head.

After looking at Bacht's product line I think I know who designed and makes the nice Profoto strip lights.

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 09:31:59 am »

I use a lot of different Broncolor Fresnels.
The Flooter is a wonderful light but very heavy and needs a big stand. That's why it is difficult to use on location.
But you can use it with a Pulso 8 lamp, 6400 Ws.
The blue Fresnel Spot (1600 Ws) is much nicer than the newer gray Fresnel Spot (3200 Ws).
The light on the guitar is made with the blue one.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:52:20 am by ben730 »

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 10:04:27 am »

My favorite "spotlight" is the Bron Satelite. It's very powerful.
Sorry, my models aren't as sexy as the ones of James....

dergiman

• http://www.philippderganz.com
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 12:32:29 pm »

This is with the Fresnel opened up.  Shadows are even more defined.  The head is 20' from the red candles.  Little spottable LED on the lounge chair just for fun.

What kind of LED spot is this?
Philipp Derganz Photography
www.philippderganz.com
Architektur Photo
Wien, Austria
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up