Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waiting to be Clothed  (Read 3245 times)

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
Waiting to be Clothed
« on: January 12, 2016, 02:55:17 pm »

Shot this on New Years day at the Red River Gorge, Hanson's Point. About a 5 mile hike in and back.
CC welcomed
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

Otto Phocus

Re: Waiting to be Clothed
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:15:59 am »

Since you asked for CC... (man don't you hate reading a post that starts like this?   ;D )

I am, personally, not getting this.

I am not getting any good indication of scale.  I assume (always a problem) that this is a picture of tall trees against a big cliff, but it could be brush against a small ledge.

This is a pretty flat exposure shot.  I see the light grey from the trees and the dark grey from the cliff.  I wonder if waiting for a different time where the cliff was better lit might work better

What was the focus of this photograph?  The trees; the cliff; the contrast between the trees and the cliff; the pattern contrast between the trees and cliff?  It is not clear to me as the viewer what I should be looking at. Without knowing what your focus was, I can't opine whether you need more cliff or more trees in the composition.

I don't know if it was possible, but perhaps the inclusion of either a little bit of the ground or a little bit of the sky, or the top of the cliff might help put this in perspective.

To me, this is a scene without any anchor.  The trees are growing from something off frame and the cliff starts and ends somewhere off frame. This makes the perspective more difficult for me to appreciate.

That being written, I do have to admire your capture of the, to me, far more interesting patterns of the different layers of the cliff face.  In fact, I zoomed in on this image to where it just had this layered cliff face and a few tree tops and, in my opinion, changed the photograph a lot as the cliff layered face made for a nice composition frame. In this case, the cliff becomes the anchor. But that's me.  I would be interested in reading your thought process on this photograph and what your photographic intent was.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:14:16 am »

I'll have to disagree with Otto.

I find this a lovely, serene, quiet scene, showing the delicate tracery of winter trees against the dark background.
Scale is of no importance in this image. I find it very evocative.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:20:29 am »

I like it, but my enjoyment only came after I opened up the thumbnail and enlarged your image to its full size. The tonal range is very appealing and has a wonderful calming feel to my eyes, and this works nicely against the rather complex subject matter. Nice work.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

churly

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 11:11:54 am »

The more I look at this the more I like it.  This is an image for contemplation.  It doesn't grab my attention but rather entices me me to look around.  Well done.
Chuck Hurich

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 11:19:00 am »

Since you asked for CC... (man don't you hate reading a post that starts like this?   ;D )
Thank you Otto, I always appreciate honest feedback.

I am, personally, not getting this.

I am not getting any good indication of scale.  I assume (always a problem) that this is a picture of tall trees against a big cliff, but it could be brush against a small ledge.

Showing scale was not my intention(maybe I should reconsider)FYI, this was a slightly cropped version from a 200mm shot.

This is a pretty flat exposure shot.  I see the light grey from the trees and the dark grey from the cliff.  I wonder if waiting for a different time where the cliff was better lit might work better

I actually waited for the light to go off the cliff. I wanted it to be a backdrop to the tree's

What was the focus of this photograph?  The trees; the cliff; the contrast between the trees and the cliff; the pattern contrast between the trees and cliff?  It is not clear to me as the viewer what I should be looking at. Without knowing what your focus was, I can't opine whether you need more cliff or more trees in the composition.

The trees

I don't know if it was possible, but perhaps the inclusion of either a little bit of the ground or a little bit of the sky, or the top of the cliff might help put this in perspective.

No ground visible. Sky was distracting.

To me, this is a scene without any anchor.  The trees are growing from something off frame and the cliff starts and ends somewhere off frame. This makes the perspective more difficult for me to appreciate.

That being written, I do have to admire your capture of the, to me, far more interesting patterns of the different layers of the cliff face.  In fact, I zoomed in on this image to where it just had this layered cliff face and a few tree tops and, in my opinion, changed the photograph a lot as the cliff layered face made for a nice composition frame. In this case, the cliff becomes the anchor. But that's me.  I would be interested in reading your thought process on this photograph and what your photographic intent was.

Thought process...
Every year a group of amateur photo friends and I go for a new years hike/photo outing in the Red River Gorge. I always try and find a "keeper" when we go. That is a nice challenge since the main purpose is to just hang out and start the new year off with a hike in the woods. When we got to the location, it was pretty disappointing, no clouds to speak of, middle of the day and dead of winter. I set up to get a shot of the rock face and valley below using a wide angle lens and waited to see what the light would do. I realized the light would not cooperate in any way so I waited more so the rock face was completely in shadow and the bare trees were in direct sun. I rather like that scenario and have other, similar shots in my portfolio. I think, if I had to do it over, I would have exposed the highlights better.
Walter Roycraft

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 11:23:57 am »

Eric, Thank you. I usually try for evocative.

Bob, thank you, much appreciated.

Chuck, Thanks. I just finished an interview with the Kentucky Arts Council and said that very thing..." It doesn't grab my attention but rather entices me me to look around. " I love it when people just stare at my shots, almost like getting lost in the woods. ;D
Walter Roycraft

polaris-14

• Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 06:01:36 pm »

I do enjoy the play on texture here and the contrast is really nice, too. I agree with the assessment that this picture makes me stare.
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 04:37:18 am »

Interesting image, and it allows some "playing" around with different crops. I like the contrast between the light and dark, and the textures. I think it is obvious that these are trees and not brushes.

I would try a square crop, with the cliff and top of the trees more prominent. That would emphasize the circular shape made up by the top of the trees and the scar on the cliff's face.

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 06:23:53 am »

Interesting image, and it allows some "playing" around with different crops. I like the contrast between the light and dark, and the textures. I think it is obvious that these are trees and not brushes.

I would try a square crop, with the cliff and top of the trees more prominent. That would emphasize the circular shape made up by the top of the trees and the scar on the cliff's face.

Thank you Paulo, Yes I like the idea of the square crop.
Walter Roycraft

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 09:23:19 pm »

I'll have to disagree with Otto.

I find this a lovely, serene, quiet scene, showing the delicate tracery of winter trees against the dark background.
Scale is of no importance in this image. I find it very evocative.

Eric

Eric nailed it (as usual).

This is what some might call a "photographer's photograph", a work that is appreciated especially by photographers for the unique, but subtle qualities that photographs capture best.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 09:36:53 pm »

I like the way the break in the rock creates a semi-circle that frames the trees.  Nice shot.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 12:11:10 am »

I like the idea of some cropping. Nice job capturing one of those magical ephemeral moments. This is the adventure of landscape photography.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 03:34:19 am »

I like it, but my enjoyment only came after I opened up the thumbnail and enlarged your image to its full size.

Yes.

Well-seen, Walt.

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 08:23:55 am »

This is what some might call a "photographer's photograph", a work that is appreciated especially by photographers for the unique, but subtle qualities that photographs capture best."
Thank you Terry, made my day!

I like the way the break in the rock creates a semi-circle that frames the trees.  Nice shot.

Thank you Alan.

I like the idea of some cropping. Nice job capturing one of those magical ephemeral moments. This is the adventure of landscape photography.
Thanks Hugh

Yes.

Well-seen, Walt.

Thanks Scott

Walter Roycraft
Pages: [1]   Go Up