Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: what's the hot B&W film and developer combo?  (Read 40659 times)

c77man

• http://
what's the hot B&W film and developer combo?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 02:52:28 pm »

Personally... I loved PMK Pyro... used with HP5 shot at 200.  Great detail and a fun process.  Photographers Formulary sells it in a 2 part liquid, very easy to use.

Just my 2 cents.

JAIROBETANCOURTA

what's the hot B&W film and developer combo?
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 07:35:50 am »

Dear List:

I'm wondering what folks are using for their black and white film and developer, when the target is a fine art, silver based print.

In the old days, I used Super XX and Tri-x, developed in HC 110 or Weston's ABC Pyro formula.  The thick emulsion films had much better development flexibility than the thinner emulsions, but took a hit on accutance.

Today, the trend seems like it's based on the T grain technology containing an essentially linear transition to highlight, with the flip side containing vapid local contrast and plenty of scattering of enlarger light through the heavier silver densities.  Today also seems to have a different acceptable "look" to the prints, where the endpoints are within range and the transitions are lacking in any real emotion-- it's easy to see this response in any of the photo rags publishing pictures of contemporary work.

What are folks on this list using?  As an additional query, how many are using condenser enlargement or diffusion enlargement, and who has both?

Thanks for the feedback,

Richard Chang
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up