Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Public Capture One advocate?  (Read 2754 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Public Capture One advocate?
« on: January 10, 2016, 09:46:13 am »

Adobe's Lightroom and Photoshop have some very public advocates Scott Kelby and Jeff Schewe among them. I'm sure there are more that I have come across. These guys provide detailed training (which is something of a business for them - and that's fine) and drive user feedback into Adobe as "outsiders."

Are there such people for Capture One? Who?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Public Capture One advocate?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 10:01:51 am »

Hi,

Niels V. Knudsen, "The Image Quality Professor". He has a blog on the Phase One web site. He is guy who is said to make the decisions regarding image quality at Phase One. Something like nine patents with his name on, so I guess he knows the stuff he is doing.

Best regards
Erik

Adobe's Lightroom and Photoshop have some very public advocates Scott Kelby and Jeff Schewe among them. I'm sure there are more that I have come across. These guys provide detailed training (which is something of a business for them - and that's fine) and drive user feedback into Adobe as "outsiders."

Are there such people for Capture One? Who?
Erik Kaffehr

Ranger Rick

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 10:08:28 am »

Derrick Story (thedigitalstory.com) has been podcasting & writing about his switch from Aperture to C1 (going on now), and he is creating a training video on it for lynda.com.  Not quite the Kelby paradigm, but that's ok  :)

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:12:27 am »

Niels V. Knudsen, "The Image Quality Professor". He has a blog on the Phase One web site. He is guy who is said to make the decisions regarding image quality at Phase One. Something like nine patents with his name on, so I guess he knows the stuff he is doing.

No doubt he's a smart guy. But he works for Phase One.

I'm thinking more of a user advocate - some to get the priorities of the users in front of the decision makers at Phase One.

The Adobe $9.99/month photographers subscription (Photoshop and Lightroom) is, at least in part, attributed to Kelby's influence within Adobe as a user advocate.
Bob Rockefeller

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 10:59:09 pm »

And then there is David Grover, who puts on the weekly (usually) webinars which are really quite good.  These all end up on youtube.com also. He is a P1 employee also, but he knows his stuff.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 07:52:35 am »

And then there is David Grover, who puts on the weekly (usually) webinars which are really quite good.  These all end up on youtube.com also. He is a P1 employee also, but he knows his stuff.

He's more of an in-house educator than a user advocate.
Bob Rockefeller

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 08:02:20 am »

Thanks for the vote of confidence there Bob.   ???

Anyway, why does it need someone to tell you that Capture One is good?

We have many third party projects ongoing right now all due to come to fruition early 2016.  Lynda was mentioned earlier for one, and I am currently on my way to another big name for their Capture One course.

We also have a network of ambassadors offering training, tips etc throughout the globe.

Also the Capture One Pro 9 book has just been released on Kindle edition and print to follow.

We also have many professionals feeding information back to us.  I work closely with some, so does our Product Manager.  They might just not be necessarily 'public advocates' but real working photographers / studios / retouchers / rental companies.

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 08:17:18 am »

Thanks for the vote of confidence there Bob.   ???

Anyway, why does it need someone to tell you that Capture One is good?

We have many third party projects ongoing right now all due to come to fruition early 2016.  Lynda was mentioned earlier for one, and I am currently on my way to another big name for their Capture One course.

We also have a network of ambassadors offering training, tips etc throughout the globe.

Also the Capture One Pro 9 book has just been released on Kindle edition and print to follow.

We also have many professionals feeding information back to us.  I work closely with some, so does our Product Manager.  They might just not be necessarily 'public advocates' but real working photographers / studios / retouchers / rental companies.

David

David,

No disrespect intended, but my thought is the public part of this third-party advocacy.

First-party advocacy seems more like marketing. Or training. Both important and both valuable.

Private input from the industry is a must.

But voices such as Scott Kelby and Jeff Schewe bring something else. Those guys "speak" for the broad base of users. They provide a glimpse of the thinking inside Adobe and the engineering behind the produce that comes off differently than if it comes from Adobe. And they can probably be freer to express Adobe's internal opinions with out it having to come from a press release.

They also provide a funnel for users not so connected to Adobe to get their thoughts into the organization. Too often those with inside access are loath to rock the boat for fear of losing that inside access. Capture One is progressively moving into the serious amateur or prosumer market (think Lightroom and Aperture). That constituency is not as well represented by the "real working photographers."

It may be that there is no/are no such advocate(s) for Capture One. That's not the end of the world.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:09:23 am by Bob Rockefeller »
Bob Rockefeller

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 01:32:29 am »

It may be that there is no/are no such advocate(s) for Capture One. That's not the end of the world.
I am having some difficulty seeing why it would be much of a problem at all. What matters, surely, is whether Capture One, and Adobe, listen to their users, rather than the details of how they go about it. I don't know whether there is evidence that either is in the lead as far as that is concerned. One certainly encounters complaints about failure to listen directed at both companies. And I am not sure that either Schewe or Kelby sees their role as finding out what other users think and passing it on to Adobe. I don't know much about Kelby but I see Schewe as someone who has strong and well-informed views of his own, which I hope (and believe) Adobe treats with respect, but not necessarily as any kind of representative of other users. And it would be surprising if there were no expert long-term users of Capture One who pass on their views to the company. Such people are commonly used as Beta testers.
Ken Cameron
Pages: [1]   Go Up