Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CO print image quality?  (Read 2299 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
CO print image quality?
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:57:09 am »

I read that many people do not use CO for their printing. Is that mostly because of convenience features in other RIPs or poor print image quality from CO?

I don't often print over 11x17 and never over 16x20. Should I be seeking other print options?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Denis de Gannes

Re: CO print image quality?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 11:01:14 am »

I read that many people do not use CO for their printing. Is that mostly because of convenience features in other RIPs or poor print image quality from CO?

I don't often print over 11x17 and never over 16x20. Should I be seeking other print options?
I could definitely recommend http://ddisoftware.com, been using it since 2002 as my go to printing application. Its a Windows only application but I have Parallels installed on my Mac mainly to run Windows and my favourite and cherished software.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:05:33 am by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 11:22:53 am »

Well Bob I use an outside printer mainly for multiple image prints on my 7900. My initial reasoning was LR kept wasting paper and losing settings.
After using Mirage, it made things so much easier.
Bear in mind I'm using a roll printer, and using a roll with LR or C1 is just a pain in the ass.
That being said, using paper of a known size looks to be super easy in C1. As far as quality goes, I couldn't say.
The best thing to do is waste a couple of sheets and make that determination.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 12:45:53 pm »

I could definitely recommend http://ddisoftware.com, been using it since 2002 as my go to printing application. Its a Windows only application but I have Parallels installed on my Mac mainly to run Windows and my favourite and cherished software.

Hi Denis,

I agree, and Qimage Ultimate is the reason I do not use the Capture One print module. The C1 print module can use some improvements, starting mainly with previsualization of sharpening settings and preset management, but it will be hard to beat the quality of Qimage output.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 01:52:08 pm »

I really don't want to run an instance of Windows to print.

Is the output from CO so bad that you feel you must?

Or is it more about convenience (presets, multiple image per page, roll paper)?
Bob Rockefeller

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 02:38:30 pm »

My reason is simple, I have been using personal computers from 1985 and my experience has been to use the best option for the job at hand, so for raw processing I tend to use the application that produces the optimum and most productive workflow, similarly for printing I use what can achieve the best results for me. For me I do not subscribe to the use of one application for all my needs.
There at least a half dozen raw processing applications that can produce results that satisfy my need and there is no specific one that I consider best.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:47:41 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 02:43:27 pm »

My reason is simple, I have been using personal computers from 1985 and my experience has been to use the best option for the job at hand, so for raw processing I tend to use the application that produces the optimum and most productive workflow, similarly for printing I use what can achieve the best results for me. For me I do not subscribe to the use of one application for all my needs.

So I could expect that Qimage would produce a better quality 16x20 print on my Epson 3880 from a TIFF exported from CO than that printed straight from CO?

How would you describe the nature of that difference?
Bob Rockefeller

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 02:44:23 pm »

That's understandable.

It's more that the output of Qimage is that good. It also offers a lot of workflow convenience, but Quality is my primary determining factor. It uses very good resampling algorithms (automatically, one just specifies the output dimensions, the rest is automatic), and offers superior output sharpening, and indeed with excellent nesting capabilities and a lot of flexibility to make templates and save/recall print jobs or settings.

C1 can also learn to do that, but is not there yet, at this moment in time.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 02:50:29 pm »

So I could expect that Qimage would produce a better quality 16x20 print on my Epson 3880 from a TIFF exported from CO than that printed straight from CO?

How would you describe the nature of that difference?

Depending on the image content, yes. Detail can (if desired) look sharper, and gradients smoother. Colors are fully color managed, so that would be the same. Optional output dithering can also hide things like head alignment issues.

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: [1]   Go Up