Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Mac Photoshop FFT / IFFT 64-bit Plugins for CC 2015 (OS 10.9+)  (Read 17452 times)

joofa

For retouching gurus, please see the following link for free Mac Photoshop FFT / IFFT 64-bit Plugins for CC 2015 (OS 10.9+).

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/software/38969-developing-mac-photoshop-64-bit-fft-ifft-plugins.html

Sincerely,

Joofa
Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins

joofa

Re: Free Mac Photoshop FFT / IFFT 64-bit Plugins for CC 2015 (OS 10.9+)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:12:24 pm »

Please see the tutorial in the link below on how to get rid of 'edge banding' effects on some images during restoration.

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/general-photoshop-board/56261-fft-plugin-macs-dj-joofa-being-made-available.html#post1533724853

BTW, the '_C' version of the filters don't exhibit visually noticeable edge banding and produce cleaner edges. The procedure in the above link is not needed with them.

Joofa
Joofa

Lundberg02

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 02:03:23 am »

Can this FFT be standalone?  I have PSCS 5.1

joofa

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 10:52:50 am »

You can use ImageJ (Windows, Mac) for this purpose. Gimp can also be used with some free stuff.
Joofa

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:47:45 pm »

Please see the tutorial in the link below on how to get rid of 'edge banding' effects on some images during restoration.

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/general-photoshop-board/56261-fft-plugin-macs-dj-joofa-being-made-available.html#post1533724853

BTW, the '_C' version of the filters don't exhibit visually noticeable edge banding and produce cleaner edges. The procedure in the above link is not needed with them.

Joofa

The tutorial was very instructive for removing patterned defects from an image, but are there tutorials for more general applications of FFT? I know it is sometimes used to demonstrate telltale signs of noise reduction.

Thanks,

Bill

Lundberg02

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 07:35:23 pm »

You can use ImageJ (Windows, Mac) for this purpose. Gimp can also be used with some free stuff.

Yes, I have it, but are you going to make yours standalone?

joofa

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 11:19:34 pm »

are there tutorials for more general applications of FFT?

Hi Bill,

I think there must be a lot of tutorials on web for the applications of FFT in general. If you mean tutorials using FFT with Photoshop then outside of the image restoration community, possibly there are not very many.

I know it is sometimes used to demonstrate telltale signs of noise reduction.

FFT is used for a lot of things in image processing. Below are two of potential usages:

(1) SSFT

Short-time Fourier Transform is a useful technique for signal analysis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-time_Fourier_transform). Analogous to STFT, I'm calling its application in images as Short-space Fourier Transform (SSFT). It can help in identifying local frequency domain features. And, this stuff is related to Wavelets also.

(2) Video

Analysis of FFT over an image sequence (video) is useful for a variety of reasons. Just for your visual delight:

Sincerely,

Joofa
Joofa

joofa

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 12:30:58 am »

Yes, I have it, but are you going to make yours standalone?

If you are the same Lundberg02 who worked with some of the greats based upon some comments I saw online, then I can develop a version for PS CS 5 in your honor, if that works for you?
Joofa

gmachen

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 08:48:53 pm »

How does one use these in ImageJ? I downloaded it, put the two plug-ins into the plugins folder, but they don't show up in ImageJ's Plugins menu. Choosing one of the FFT plugins with Plugins > Install gives the error message, "File name must end in '.txt', '.ijm', '.js', '.bsh', '.c|ass', '.jar', '.zip', '.java' or '.py'" and Plugins > Compile and Run gives the error message, "File name must end with '.java' or '.cIass'."

How would you tell your grandmother to get these to work?

joofa

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 09:13:32 pm »

How does one use these in ImageJ? I downloaded it, put the two plug-ins into the plugins folder, but they don't show up in ImageJ's Plugins menu. Choosing one of the FFT plugins with Plugins > Install gives the error message, "File name must end in '.txt', '.ijm', '.js', '.bsh', '.c|ass', '.jar', '.zip', '.java' or '.py'" and Plugins > Compile and Run gives the error message, "File name must end with '.java' or '.cIass'."

How would you tell your grandmother to get these to work?

These plugins only work in Photoshop (CC 2015) on a Mac. Doesn't ImageJ aleady have FFT built in? In my ImageJ 1.48v  it is in Process>FFT menu.
Joofa

gmachen

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 09:26:05 pm »

Oh, and so it does in ImageJ 1.4.9.... I asked because you said in an earlier post that your plug-ins work in ImageJ and GIMP, so I just downloaded ImageJ tonight solely to try them because I'm in Photoshop CC (2013).... But don't your plug-ins have that edge enhancement that ImageJ's native ones don't? (And I'm still not clear if your current ones have that edge enhancement yet, or whether you're still waiting for enough donations.)... And doesn't ImageJ's FFTs need a fixed pixels aspect ratio crop, whereas yours will work with any aspect ratio?

joofa

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 09:34:00 pm »

Oh, and so it does in ImageJ 1.4.9.... I asked because you said in an earlier post that your plug-ins work in ImageJ and GIMP, so I just downloaded ImageJ tonight solely to try them because I'm in Photoshop CC (2013).... But don't your plug-ins have that edge enhancement that ImageJ's native ones don't? (And I'm still not clear if your current ones have that edge enhancement yet, or whether you're still waiting for enough donations.)... And doesn't ImageJ's FFTs need a fixed pixels aspect ratio crop, whereas yours will work with any aspect ratio?

I think you are talking about my comment when I pointed out to a user that they can use ImageJ's built-in FFT if they don't have Photoshop. My plugins won't work in ImageJ.

Enough donations ....  ??? I don't think there will be enough donations going by the current trend. Hardly any body has contributed while it costs me time, money and debugging frustrations.

My plugins don't have any image size and aspect ratio limits. I'm not fully sure about ImageJ. I have never used FFT in ImageJ.
Joofa

Lundberg02

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 02:18:21 am »

I believe I'm the only Lundberg02 online and I have engaged with some of the greats because I am fearless in my ignorance, but I wish I knew what specific discourse inspired your kind offer.
I worked with the FFT almost as soon as Cooley and Tukey published because it was essential to anti submarine warfare sonar signal processing. The company I worked at the time built the first 16 bit mini to do it. We used radix four to simplify. I was amazed that an experienced operator could give you the hull number and the captain's name from that slightly wiggly line crawling down the chart. I believe that Cooley and Tukey probably developed the FFT for use with the SOSUS arrays that still defend our coasts.

hjulenissen

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 02:49:06 am »

(1) SSFT
It might be interesting to compare spatially windowed FFT analysis to the spatially windowed DCTs used in e.g. JPEG compression. Oh, and why does the audio people use (almost exclusively) MDCT (50% overlap _and_ critically sampled) for compression purposes, while the imaging community does not?
(2) Video
I am guessing that you are doing a (separable) 2-d FFT of each frame, animated in time? It might be interesting to do a 3-d FFT of such a sequence. Not that my skills at manual interpreting 3-d FFTs are any better than my skills at manually interpreting 2-d ones...

-h

Garnick

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 12:05:45 pm »

For retouching gurus, please see the following link for free Mac Photoshop FFT / IFFT 64-bit Plugins for CC 2015 (OS 10.9+).

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/software/38969-developing-mac-photoshop-64-bit-fft-ifft-plugins.html

Sincerely,

Joofa

Hello,

I am certainly new to this "plugin/filter" and I'm definitely interested in using it for some of my retouching jobs.  I have downloaded the CC 2015 version, which also seems to be compatible with OS 10.9 according to the above information.  Is that indeed the case?  Otherwise I'll have to wait until I decide to subscribe.  Verification would be much appreciated, either it will or will not work with OS 10.9+.

Thank you,
Gary

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

joofa

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 04:41:07 pm »

I believe I'm the only Lundberg02 online and I have engaged with some of the greats because I am fearless in my ignorance, but I wish I knew what specific discourse inspired your kind offer.
I worked with the FFT almost as soon as Cooley and Tukey published because it was essential to anti submarine warfare sonar signal processing. The company I worked at the time built the first 16 bit mini to do it. We used radix four to simplify. I was amazed that an experienced operator could give you the hull number and the captain's name from that slightly wiggly line crawling down the chart. I believe that Cooley and Tukey probably developed the FFT for use with the SOSUS arrays that still defend our coasts.

Thanks for sharing your experience. The stuff about marine identification is very interesting.

I shall try to develop a CS5, 64 bits, OS 10.5 version for you. A problem that I might run into is compiling stuff for 10.5 while being on 10.11 myself. But, I hope I shall be able to overcome that. In any case I won't be able to test it as I don't have CS5. So I guess you will have to let me know that it worked or not. Kindly PM me your email so that we can take it off line.

Sincerely,

Joofa
Joofa

joofa

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 04:48:32 pm »

It might be interesting to compare spatially windowed FFT analysis to the spatially windowed DCTs used in e.g. JPEG compression.

Yep, that is what I have been thinking of lately also. I shall make a DCT plugin for Photoshop and compare it to FFT. I would think that the DCT might give a better response regarding image edge / boundary effects. And, the DCT representation of signal may be more compactified than DFT.

Oh, and why does the audio people use (almost exclusively) MDCT (50% overlap _and_ critically sampled) for compression purposes, while the imaging community does not?

Perhaps, audio signal are more nonstationary, and might require so. Also, images usually have a much larger amount of data points so perhaps people don't want to increase the number of analysis points.

I am guessing that you are doing a (separable) 2-d FFT of each frame, animated in time? It might be interesting to do a 3-d FFT of such a sequence. Not that my skills at manual interpreting 3-d FFTs are any better than my skills at manually interpreting 2-d ones...

Yes 2-D FFT of separate frames in time. In computer vision they call such processing 2.5D!  ;D One can take a singular FFT along the time domain of these FFT'd image sequence to get a full 3D FFT.
Joofa

joofa

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 04:49:46 pm »

Hello,

I am certainly new to this "plugin/filter" and I'm definitely interested in using it for some of my retouching jobs.  I have downloaded the CC 2015 version, which also seems to be compatible with OS 10.9 according to the above information.  Is that indeed the case?  Otherwise I'll have to wait until I decide to subscribe.  Verification would be much appreciated, either it will or will not work with OS 10.9+.

Thank you,
Gary

These plugins should work in CC 2015 on Mac OS 10.9.
Joofa

hjulenissen

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 01:43:54 am »

Yep, that is what I have been thinking of lately also. I shall make a DCT plugin for Photoshop and compare it to FFT.
Note that the DCT can be calculated provided that you allready have a FFT implementation using some pre/post-processing steps.
I would think that the DCT might give a better response regarding image edge / boundary effects.
Yes, the assumption of DCT (or at least the popular kind) is that the signal is "mirrored" at each block boundary. Clearly, this is an assumption that better suits images (as evidenced by its usage in image scaling applications) than the FFT assumption that the segment is periodically repeated.
And, the DCT representation of signal may be more compactified than DFT.
I have seen this attributed to the same edge assumptions. I think theoretically, the KL transform (or, equivalently, PCA) will find the most energy compacting linear transform of a given dataset. Textbooks typically claim that the DCT is a practical close approximation to the KLT for many real-world signals without having to adapt the transform to a particular signal, transmit the transform (adding bandwidth) and dealing with generic (slow) code.
Perhaps, audio signal are more nonstationary, and might require so. Also, images usually have a much larger amount of data points so perhaps people don't want to increase the number of analysis points.
I think the latter. Doing 50% overlap in a 2-d signal would mean 4x the datapoints processed? Also, I am guessing that small edge artifacts are more acceptable visually than audibly (for sound, you might get some audible click at a fixed rate of e.g. 10 milliseconds).
Yes 2-D FFT of separate frames in time. In computer vision they call such processing 2.5D!  ;D One can take a singular FFT along the time domain of these FFT'd image sequence to get a full 3D FFT.
The question is if we can get any further insight from transform along the 3rd dimension as well.

-h

joofa

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 11:40:18 am »

Doing 50% overlap in a 2-d signal would mean 4x the datapoints processed?

I think in audio spectral estimation after dividing a signal into overlapping segment, each segment is windowed also. May be that is also a reason for overlap, to make those data points that are windowed out (or lowered in value) have a contribution to spectral estimation.

Also, I am guessing that small edge artifacts are more acceptable visually than audibly (for sound, you might get some audible click at a fixed rate of e.g. 10 milliseconds).

This is actually a strong point. Also perhaps a reason that why psychologically a movie with lower sound quality but good image quality vs good sound quality but low image quality, is considered a less 'professional' product by many. Audio is very important! I guess I should not say that on a photography site.

The question is if we can get any further insight from transform along the 3rd dimension as well.

Yes, in video analysis.
Joofa
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up