Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is 16GB of memory enough for C1-9?  (Read 3611 times)

sjprg

Is 16GB of memory enough for C1-9?
« on: January 05, 2016, 10:36:08 am »

I'm still setting up my new C1 system and decided to add a new 1TB Samsung SSD. Using Samsung Magician 4.9 which enables "Rapid Mode" which takes the SSD from 535 to 4025. Transferred all of my raw images to the SSD which went fine. (51,000 images). Started the import, which seemed to be going fine, walked in the kitchen and poured a cup of coffee and returned to find an "Out of Memory" error message. I had to go to task manager to shut down C1.
Restarted C1 and restarted the import which completed OK this time other than "failed proxy start" messages in the popup log.
Next I selected a folder and started the auto adjust (CTRL A, CTRL L) this worked fine for several folders than gave me another "Out of Memory" error.
I closed C1 and than reopened it and continued. Turns out that about every 10 folders or so depending on the file sizes I had to close C1, reopen and continue.

My take on this from a programming standpoint is that C1's memory management does not return the memory to the system each time it starts a new folder, so it soon runs out of memory. I don't program in C++ so I can't speak for the memory management but after years of programming in K&R "C" where memory could be very tightly controlled I'm not impressed with C1's memory management
Paul

sebbe

Re: Is 16GB of memory enough for C1-9?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 11:20:50 am »

I'm not a pro, but work a lot with C1. I did had some errors (with v8). What helped, was to split all to three local SSDs. one for each: operating system (windows), files (pictures  :D ), catalogues.

I have 16GB ram, i7-49xx processor and a geforce 970M card. Anything works well. It slows down, when I work too on 2 or 3 big files in photoshop.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 03:49:06 pm »

I'd say, from what I've read on this and the CO forum, that 16GB of RAM is asking for a performance slowdown, or worse.

On my Mac Pro I routinely see CO using nearly 10GB RAM. It's not very frugal with RAM.

Maybe 32GB is a practical minimum?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

sjprg

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:57:17 pm »

Well I'm planning a new MB in the next couple of months so I'll put 64 GB in it.
Paul

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 04:03:53 pm »

Well I'm planning a new MB in the next couple of months so I'll put 64 GB in it.

Cool! Can you get that much? I thought MacBook Pros were capped at 16GB, now?
Bob Rockefeller

sjprg

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 04:20:09 pm »

I'm building an Asus Z170-WS for Windows 10 to replace my older Z77 MB. Asus claims 5.2 Ghz with their 1click OC. with G.Skill 3733 DDR4 and an I7-6700K. The WS has two M.2 slots on board and the PCIe slots are all NMVe. I keep looking at Macs but they just won't give me the options that would make a complete unit. Close but no cigar.
Paul

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 10:38:07 am »

I'm building an Asus Z170-WS for Windows 10 to replace my older Z77 MB. Asus claims 5.2 Ghz with their 1click OC. with G.Skill 3733 DDR4 and an I7-6700K. The WS has two M.2 slots on board and the PCIe slots are all NMVe. I keep looking at Macs but they just won't give me the options that would make a complete unit. Close but no cigar.

I just built a similar machine, only with 32GB RAM.  I have not found a use case yet where I would need more RAM.  I'd spend the money (unless money is not a factor) on filling the M.2slots ...
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

sjprg

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 02:02:02 pm »

Allready planed. Two M.2 Samsung 950 Pros in the M.2 slots in raid 0 and an Intel 1.2 TB 750 for storage with maybe a second one later, Unless Samsung brings out a 2 TB 950 Pro for the M.2 slots, Then they will become storage and standard 840 Pro SSDs will become the OS. Right now the only reason for change is I am processor bound with the 3770K.
Paul

Avalanche

• Antarctica 2016
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 04:39:45 am »

Next I selected a folder and started the auto adjust (CTRL A, CTRL L) this worked fine for several folders than gave me another "Out of Memory" error.
I closed C1 and than reopened it and continued. Turns out that about every 10 folders or so depending on the file sizes I had to close C1, reopen and continue.

I might have run into the same issue and contacted the Phase One support for that. C1 consumed all available memory while generating preview images. According to their support, this was caused by a bug related to Canon RAW files and that this should be fixed in the 9.0.1.

sebbe

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 03:10:00 am »

I'm not a pro, but work a lot with C1. I did had some errors (with v8). What helped, was to split all to three local SSDs. one for each: operating system (windows), files (pictures  :D ), catalogues.

I have 16GB ram, i7-49xx processor and a geforce 970M card. Anything works well. It slows down, when I work too on 2 or 3 big files in photoshop.

I did an upgrade to 32GB RAM this weekend. The laptop is more quiet now and all works very fluent. As RAM is quite cheap now, it was a good decision.

David Edge

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 09:02:37 pm »

I've got a maxed out late 2013 iMac with 32GB RAM and while C1P occasionally gets up to 16GB, it seldom if ever goes beyond. So it seems surprising that it would cough on 16GB with Mac anyway unless you're doing video rendering in the background.

Mac or PC? Which version? 9.0.0 had a memory leak that's now fixed.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 07:13:18 am »

I've got a maxed out late 2013 iMac with 32GB RAM and while C1P occasionally gets up to 16GB, it seldom if ever goes beyond. So it seems surprising that it would cough on 16GB with Mac anyway unless you're doing video rendering in the background.

Using 16GB seems unreasonable for any single program. But I do see 10GB, and that seems high, too.

But a program using 16GB on a 16GB machine is death to performance. That leaves nothing for the OS, which uses a fair amount of RAM itself, nor any other programs. There will have to be some serious memory swapping to disk to even run and there's a real risk of "thrashing," where memory space is swapped out to disk space and then needed right back again.

CO simply wants a lot of RAM. A 32GB machine may just be the practical minimum.
Bob Rockefeller

Christoph B.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 04:24:23 am »

I'd say, from what I've read on this and the CO forum, that 16GB of RAM is asking for a performance slowdown, or worse.

I've been working with C1 and 12 GB without any problems, shooting tethered with a 60mpx back and editing files, processing - everything works fine.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 05:44:47 am »

I've been working with C1 and 12 GB without any problems, shooting tethered with a 60mpx back and editing files, processing - everything works fine.

How big is your catalog?

Christoph B.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 06:34:37 am »

How big is your catalog?

About 650GB, ±30.000 files? I'm not sure, haven't got it with me atm as I switched to sessions and only use catalogs for longer continuous art projects few weeks ago.

Edit: that was on a 2009 Mac Pro - so not the best processor either. But the only speed difference I was able to notice (when compared to my recent workstation with 32gb) was because of the lack of an SSD, the old Mac Pro is only equipped with HDDs but still performs very well.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 07:08:56 am »

About 650GB, ±30.000 files? I'm not sure, haven't got it with me atm as I switched to sessions and only use catalogs for longer continuous art projects few weeks ago.

Edit: that was on a 2009 Mac Pro - so not the best processor either. But the only speed difference I was able to notice (when compared to my recent workstation with 32gb) was because of the lack of an SSD, the old Mac Pro is only equipped with HDDs but still performs very well.

So when you say things run smoothly, is this during sessions, catalog, or both?
I ask because in sessions mode, it screams. However once in catalog, specifically searching, it slows to a crawl.
I have found by removing the filter tool altogether, its more responsive, and opens faster to boot.
Now I'm comparing it to LR and Media Pro cataloging, both very capable and responsive.
My catalog is approaching 40,000 images at 500gb.
I'm now at 32gb RAM with SSD's for catalog and images.

Christoph B.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 06:24:36 pm »

So when you say things run smoothly, is this during sessions, catalog, or both?
I ask because in sessions mode, it screams. However once in catalog, specifically searching, it slows to a crawl.
I have found by removing the filter tool altogether, its more responsive, and opens faster to boot.
Now I'm comparing it to LR and Media Pro cataloging, both very capable and responsive.
My catalog is approaching 40,000 images at 500gb.
I'm now at 32gb RAM with SSD's for catalog and images.

Catalog.

Sessions run a little bit faster but both are perfectly workable.

sjprg

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 01:24:53 am »

I put 32GB in my PC a couple of days ago and then turned on Task Manager to watch the memory usage real time.
While doing auto adjust (ctrl L) after selecting all variants I watched the memory usage climb to 29.1 GB where it seemed to settle down and vary up and down by 3 to 4 GB. I think C1 should reset the memory after each folder is complete. Does C++ still have memalloc and memfree?
Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up