Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now.  (Read 119411 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now.
« Reply #400 on: February 06, 2016, 01:54:05 am »

That was an "aha"-experience during the development of DCamProf. It's not a good idea for the profile to push saturation of darkest shadows a lot, as it just makes the chroma noise more visible....

Hi Anders,

Re. chroma noise,

I attended a session of the phone camera quality group of the IEEE, and they did some user testing. Surprisingly, consumers prefer chroma noise to luma noise. Photographers do not, the result was viewed as correct but counterintuitive by group members after the user tests were repeated. This may influence a choice of profile creation.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

torger

Re: Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now.
« Reply #401 on: February 06, 2016, 04:34:30 am »

Hi Anders,

Re. chroma noise,

I attended a session of the phone camera quality group of the IEEE, and they did some user testing. Surprisingly, consumers prefer chroma noise to luma noise. Photographers do not, the result was viewed as correct but counterintuitive by group members after the user tests were repeated. This may influence a choice of profile creation.

Interesting! I didn't know that. However my initial guess this has a larger effect on how to design noise reduction more than affecting profile design. What I do with profiles is avoid pushing saturation as much in the noisy range as colors are unstable there anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up