Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture to Lightroom to Capture One Pro - some milestones along the way  (Read 2661 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller

I've been writing up my thoughts about Capture One Pro vs. Lightroom and Aperture for a while now on my blog. I've moved from Aperture to Lightroom and now I'm trying my best to get transitioned to Capture One Pro.

Here's my latest reflection:

http://www.bobrockefeller.com/blog/capture-one-pro-again

I'd appreciate any comments, guidance or discoveries on that same path you may have.

Cross-posted to the Phase One CO forum.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Aperture to Lightroom to Capture One Pro - some milestones along the way
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 03:09:46 am »

Hi Bob, nice read. I'm also trying to learn C1 and found the LuLa video's a good start, a bit more long winded then the C1 (video) tutorials but lots of good practical demos.

I'm intrigued by your comment "clarity control is very flexible with eight possible effects", I know there is clarity and structure but I'm wondering what the other 6 effects are you mean here.
pieter, aka pegelli

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:42:08 am »

I've tried a couple of times to make the transition from Aperture, but the Nik plug-ins keep bringing me back. Now, if we had those in Capture One Pro ...

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 05:34:45 am »

I've tried a couple of times to make the transition from Aperture, but the Nik plug-ins keep bringing me back. Now, if we had those in Capture One Pro ...

Hi,

Don't know how the Nik plugins integrate(d) with Aperture, but you can send output from Capture One Pro to a dedicated folder, or to an application, or edit in an application. Depending on how the Nik plugins run (only as plugin, or self contained), there may be possibilities. Plugins like those from Topaz Labs can use a free connection plugin called Topaz Fusion Express, maybe something similar is available for the Nik plugins?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 05:49:59 am »

The Nik integration plugins are separated from the actual Nik applications. The applications are all app files in OSX Applications folder and exe files in Windows, and you can open and save TIFs directly in them, eg by dragging onto their application icons. So I'd expect you can do something.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 05:56:18 am »

Hi Bob, nice read. I'm also trying to learn C1 and found the LuLa video's a good start, a bit more long winded then the C1 (video) tutorials but lots of good practical demos.

I'm intrigued by your comment "clarity control is very flexible with eight possible effects", I know there is clarity and structure but I'm wondering what the other 6 effects are you mean here.

Hi Pieter,

I'm not sure, but I assume that Bob is referring to the 4 possible methods of Clarity (Normal, Punch, Neutral, and Classic), combined with a Clarity amount and Structure. If one simplifies the numerous possible combinations to increased/decreased Structure, then for each amount one basically has 8 possible combinations.

But there is much more possible, since Clarity can (additionally) also be applied locally as an adjustment layer, or even as multiple adjustment layers. Combining this with the many adjustment mask generation possibilities, offers an almost unlimited number of possibilities to tweak one's image with Clarity.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 06:02:18 am »

The Nik integration plugins are separated from the actual Nik applications. The applications are all app files in OSX Applications folder and exe files in Windows, and you can open and save TIFs directly in them, eg by dragging onto their application icons. So I'd expect you can do something.

Hi John,

In that case, yes. If they are individual executable files, they can be selected as an individual application directly, or if one wants to access one from a selection of Applications, one could write a simple Batch file to select a standalone Nik application directly, although C1 keeps a list of applications to choose from itself.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:12:20 am by BartvanderWolf »

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 07:51:21 am »

I'm not sure, but I assume that Bob is referring to the 4 possible methods of Clarity (Normal, Punch, Neutral, and Classic), combined with a Clarity amount and Structure. If one simplifies the numerous possible combinations to increased/decreased Structure, then for each amount one basically has 8 possible combinations.

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

But thinking about it more, I wonder if the Normal, Punch, Neutral and Classic settings affect the Structure slider? Maybe there are "only" 5 possibilities there?
Bob Rockefeller

pegelli

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 05:40:51 pm »

Thanks Bob and Bart. Forgot about these styles.

Just did a quick test.
- Clarity: there is a difference between Natural, Neutral, Punch and Classic, clearly visible difference in the picture and the histogram.
- Structure: Natural, Neutral and Punch seem the same, I couldn't detect any difference in the picture, nor the histogram. Only Classic is different from the other three.

So this gives us 6 different styles to choose from, whereby the combination of Clarity and Structure give additional permutations.
pieter, aka pegelli

mediumcool

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 10:09:37 am »

The no-longer-useless Contrast slider means that Clarity is not as absolutely necessary as it was, but Structure is as important and useful as it ever was (micro-contrast vs macro-contrast?).
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 10:17:30 am »

The no-longer-useless Contrast slider means that Clarity is not as absolutely necessary as it was, but Structure is as important and useful as it ever was (micro-contrast vs macro-contrast?).

Hi,

I don't think that Capture One's Clarity is as simple as a contrast boost. Maybe the 'Classic' mode of Clarity has some similarity, but there are also 3 other modes.

But you're right if you mean that the Contrast control is more useful than before. I use it more often, now that it leaves color/saturation better intact.

Cheers,
Bart

pegelli

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 11:35:24 am »

I don't think that Capture One's Clarity is as simple as a contrast boost.
Fully agree Bart, I went back to the same picture as yesterday and contrast clearly pushes histogram humps more to the white and black ends. Clarity doesn't do that and has a marked different effect on the photo.
pieter, aka pegelli

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 11:42:05 am »

Is anyone using the new v9 keywording tool much? My use has been a PIA and have a verified bug filed, so far:

208800 - Confirmed bug
Keywords don't stay deleted. I can delete keywords from the catalog keyword library, but they return. It doesn't seem as if they are getting deleted from the images and when the image thumbnails are viewed again, the keywords get back in the Keyword Library. This is a mess and I can't get the image library cleared of unwanted keywords!

And a couple of unresolved support cases for crazy behavior of keywords:

As the video shows, when I start off, there are few keyword in the keyword library. When I open the import dialog, as soon as I switch the input folder to one with image files in it, the keywords begin to be added to the keyword library as the thumbnail previews appear in the import dialog.

This would seem to be easy enough to reproduce; I can do it time and time again with folder after folder of images to import. Without importing any images, simply setting the image folder to import from, CO adds keywords to the root of the keyword library, even if those keywords already exist in the library at a deeper place in the keyword hierarchy.

Haphazard application of keywords in the hierarchy. I imported a group of images to the CO catalog from a Lightroom referenced folder that already had Lightroom metadata applied; keywords, for example. When the images were imported, their keywords and their hierarchy were added to the CO Keyword Library, but duplicated between the root level and the appropriated deeper levels. The attached screenshot shows the results of the import with part of the keyword hierarchy exposed and one of the images selected. Its keywords are correct and shown in the Keyword tool. In some instances (the green) a keyword was appropriately used from within the keyword hierarchy. In other cases (the red), keywords were used from the root and not the deeper hierarchy. So, two problems: 1) keywords are added both at the root and within the keyword hierarchy creating unneeded, duplicate keywords. 2) keywords are sometimes applied from the root when a deeper keyword would be more appropriate. Is it something about how I have my keyword library set up, or some confusion in how CO imports and applies new keywords? In either case, it's a mess and unwelcome.
Bob Rockefeller
Pages: [1]   Go Up