Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4x5 colour negative availability  (Read 1501 times)

Endeavour

4x5 colour negative availability
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:04:48 am »

Hi
does anyone have any thoughts on the availability of colour negative (or transp) film?
Appreciate all the 'film is a dying art' thoughts, but is there still a supply of good film? And if so, is this likely to fizzle out anytime soon?

I am giving serious consideration to getting back into film photography, but its going to be a non starter if I cant order in any supplies (I dont expect to be able to walk into many shops and pick up film)

landscapephoto

Re: 4x5 colour negative availability
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 08:48:17 am »

For colour negative in 4"x5", you have Portra 160, Portra 400 and Ektar 100 from Kodak. Only Ektar 100 is additionally manufactured in 8"x10".  Kodak discontinued their reversal films in 2012.

For colour negative in 4"x5" and 8"x10" from Fuji, there is only Fujicolor Pro 160NS.
From the Fuji web site, FUJICHROME Velvia 50, Velvia 100 and PROVIA 100F are still manufactured in 4"x5" and 8"x10". That is about it.

(Edit: I misread and thought you only wanted reversal film.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:26:53 am by landscapephoto »

Frederic_H

• www.fredericharster.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 09:12:59 am »

I'd stick with Kodak for colour negative films, Fuji has been killing a lot of references lately (or increase their price and then discontinue them saying no one is buying anymore...).

Endeavour

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 09:54:31 am »

thanks

For Kodak, is that the Ektar film?

hows the storage for this type of film, in the freezer like 35mm? or does it need to be super accurately temp controlled?

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 12:48:57 pm »

You can handle it just like any other film size, especially if it's new. There are more detailed informations on storage Handling on the official Kodak documents: http://wwwit.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e4051/e4051.pdf

If you plan on using it in a short amount of time after purchase, don't bother freezing them.

One of my distributors has Portra 160 and 400 as 8x10 in stock as well, so at least Kodak Italy still has plenty of it. Macodirect also seems to have Portra 160 in 8x10 available.
Instagram (updated often)

DanielStone

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:39:39 pm »

Most major retailers can, and do, stock at least 4x5 Portra. Perhaps your local mom n' pop camera stores might not, but major players like Samy's, B&H, Adorama, etc certainly do. At least here in the USA.

Kept in frozen conditions, color film can last a good long while. I'm talking well over a decade. I shot some 1994 Vericolor VPSIII a month or so back, and I had literally zero fogging of the film. However, I purchased it from a photographer some years back who was dismantling his studio, and had a freezer full of film, mostly 4x5. All purchased new, I got it for pennies on the dollar. But that's me. I don't see why more modern films will/would be any different.

*However: I would NOT recommend re-freezing open packages of film once the factory interior foil bags have been opened. They protect against atmospheric contamination and humidity. If I remove film from my film-only chest freezer, and do not use the entire pack, I will leave the now-open package, closed up/boxed in the top of an interior closet in the house, where it's cool and dry. I have been working from opened boxes of film kept in this storage state that were were first opened up over 2 years ago(these are 50sht boxes mind you, and I don't shoot a huge amount). I have not seen any issues stemming from this, whatsoever.

Film is quite robust, but still requires you to not abuse it. That means not leaving it for months on end in the trunk/boot of your black car, if you live in the middle of the desert ;). All joking aside, I've left roll film and loaded 4x5/5x7/8x10 holders in the boot of my car for weeks on end, and have had no ill effects on the film from heat or other maladies relating to storage conditions.

-Dan

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 02:26:36 am »

Same. My friends store it in freezers and such, but they always have to wait for film to get to room temperature.

I have quite a bit of expired film, but I keep it in a wooden box full of silca gel, in a cool and dry room. Never had a single issue. In fact I'm quite surprised about the films I got over the years, some of which were stored in hot and humid places and were still perfectly fine once I shot and developed them. Only the fastest films (ASA 400 and up) lose sensitivity and IQ quickly when not stored properly.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: [1]   Go Up