Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Merging images in PS and LR  (Read 9102 times)

amolitor

Merging images in PS and LR
« on: January 01, 2016, 11:51:37 pm »

Is anyone else as baffled as I at Alan's latest?

He written some pretty serious pieces at times, but lately he wants to tell us about his to use basic features of various tools in remarkably unsophisticated, a cynic might even say naive, ways.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Merging images in PS and LR
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 01:55:51 am »

IHe written some pretty serious pieces at times, but lately he wants to tell us about his to use basic features of various tools in remarkably unsophisticated, a cynic might even say naive, ways.

I think this is really harsh...if you don't like the article, fine, say so. But to attach a demeaning series of descriptions is useless.

Point in fact, it was during this trip that I convinced Alain to try the Pano merge in Lightroom and he was quite surprised at how good it was. So, for him it was a revelation which prompted an enthusiastic article.

BTW, not for nothing but his name ain't Alan...he's French. His name is Alain...kinda another sing of a lack of respect huh?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 02:33:18 am »

... remarkably unsophisticated, a cynic might even say naive, ways.

It might be helpful to explain what makes it so.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 03:30:06 am »

Is anyone else as baffled as I at Alan's latest?

He written some pretty serious pieces at times, but lately he wants to tell us about his to use basic features of various tools in remarkably unsophisticated, a cynic might even say naive, ways.

Hello Andrew,

what do you expect when you read someone else's article : A repetition of what you usually do and therefor a proof that your doing is right, or do you want to get to know a different perspective of the things ?

Alain shows us in this article how he is usually solving his problems, no more. If, in your opinion,  there is a better way of doing so, feel free to ask Kevin if you can provide an article.

But, and this is the most important point, even if there are better ways to go, there is no reason to call him 'unsophisticated' and 'naiv'. Both expressions strike him personally.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 04:50:24 am »

What I see, is an interesting, useful and detailed article by an accomplished and generous artist, and a mean, totally useless and tactless snip by a very negative person.
Going out and trying to photograph something might help. Shooting in JPG should be just fine.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:49:04 am by LesPalenik »

amolitor

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 07:03:34 am »

Fair enough.

If you guys want to pay to read what appears to be simply a worked example of what each of two manuals says, far be it from me to judge.

I said naive because Alain seems not even to be aware that many of his difficulties would be solved if he were to capture extra material around the edges. It is inconceivable that he's not aware of this, obviously.

The use of the word collage is simply wrong. Collage has a meaning and this isn't it.

Yes yes, I'm a big meanie and ought to be banned. This may be inconceivable to you, but I'd say the same to Alain's face. Preferably over drinks.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 09:08:52 am »

If you guys want to pay to read what appears to be simply a worked example of what each of two manuals says, far be it from me to judge.

I didn't have to pay anything extra for reading that article (well, beside the annual subscription), did you?
I thought it was a well constructed tutorial including very pleasing pictures, some factual info from Death Valley, and well-laid out and easy to follow text.
Perhaps an overkill for an experienced photoshopper, but surely appreciated by less experienced shooters, and as always quite inspirational for most photographers. Pointing out and documenting possible problems with missing parts of the sky makes for a good and practical example, and a good tip to capture a few extra frames while photographing the scene. 

As you suggested in your second post, adding more material around the edges is always a good idea, not only that it alleviates the need for content-aware fill, but also it should improve the perimeter sharpness by using more data from the central part of the lens. If I find myself in that part of Death Valley in similar conditions, I'll remember examples in this article.

MarkL

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 10:18:28 am »

Looks like nothing's changed now people pay for this content.

amolitor

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 10:20:50 am »

Oh, it has. Briot used to write about Art, and now he's writing tutorials for beginners.

James Clark

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 10:35:01 am »

Oh, it has. Briot used to write about Art, and now he's writing tutorials for beginners.

Well, assuming we get no content this month more suited to my skill level, my dollar this month has been utterly and completely wasted ;)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 11:17:57 am »

The site has a long history of presenting articles that appeal to various levels of experience.

It is not necessary for criticism to be confrontational or personal.
--
Robert

amolitor

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 11:26:54 am »

I quite agree, it's not necessary to be confrontational or personal in criticism. Still, I've been around a while and it was pretty early in the morning so I let the mild personal attacks on me go.

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 01:03:52 pm »

No problem Andrew.  It's pretty much like Jeff explains, I discovered the possibilities of stitching in Lightroom during Jeff's Summit presentations and I decided to write the essay to compare  the respective collaging possibilities of Lightroom and Photoshop.  The essay is based on my approach to photography and on my workflow. 
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 04:42:52 pm »

;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 07:13:44 pm »

As elementary as the article might be, I still found two tips that were new and valuable to me*: the use of Warp function to correct panoramas and the use of Image Size function to reshape the image. Another plus, it was all done on a quite pleasing image, not something one often encounters in tutorials.

* My goal in life is not to learn everything there is to learn about Photoshop or Lightroom, but to learn enough to do the job, and learn the rest as needed (and if needed). Especially when it comes to "off-label" use of otherwise well-known functions.

James Clark

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 09:05:52 pm »

As elementary as the article might be, I still found two tips that were new and valuable to me*: the use of Warp function to correct panoramas and the use of Image Size function to reshape the image. Another plus, it was all done on a quite pleasing image, not something one often encounters in tutorials.

That one was a new idea to me as well.  Obvious in retrospect perhaps, but still a new idea to me.

The lesson I take from this is that there are a myriad of solutions to basic photographic and/or processing problems, and even experienced photographers like me (or you, or Alain) may have had a deep dive into one or more solution(s), but there still may be basic - sometimes very basic - options that have never occurred to us.  If nothing else, it's another tool or methodology to use when our comfortable and preferred process isn't looking quite right.

So was the article rudimentary?  Yeah, probably, but if folks like you, me or Alain Briot learned a new concept in the process, maybe we shouldn't get so concerned if the occasional article is "below" our levels of expertise. 

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 12:37:54 am »

Seems the criticism in the thread about the article could be easily reversed on the thread itself ... I'm regretting clicking on it now.

I have no problem that not every article has to be at my level, or that multiple articles over time cover similar subjects.

The use of the term collage is probably incorrect (to me a collage is a completely different animal and something i never do) , but then Alain is French so I'll cut him some slack.  I knew what he meant.

Regardless of the subject content I personally think that's one terrific image of Badwater, so I'm glad the article was there.

As elementary as the article might be, I still found two tips that were new and valuable to me*: the use of Warp function to correct panoramas
not that it matters but Kevin talked about this in another panorama article last year. I've been doing it for a while now (I learned it in a Rodney Lough workshop).  Very helpful and seems to give more realistic finished panos sometimes.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 01:27:56 am »

...not that it matters but Kevin talked about this...

Which only goes to prove that repeating certain basic things still makes sense, as not everyone noticed or absorbed everything the first time they encountered it.

dreed

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 08:32:18 am »

No problem Andrew.  It's pretty much like Jeff explains, I discovered the possibilities of stitching in Lightroom during Jeff's Summit presentations and I decided to write the essay to compare  the respective collaging possibilities of Lightroom and Photoshop.  The essay is based on my approach to photography and on my workflow.

What do you do when you encounter a series that LR/PS refuse to merge?

I tried my hand at doing it manually but something that I don't know how to do is take into account the field of view change and the warping of the image that occurs from camera rotation.

alainbriot

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 11:03:10 am »

What do you do when you encounter a series that LR/PS refuse to merge?

I tried my hand at doing it manually but something that I don't know how to do is take into account the field of view change and the warping of the image that occurs from camera rotation.

Hi Dreed,

I approach it on a case by case basis.  Just post the problemactic collage here and I'll let you know what I would do to it.  It does happen that a serie of captures refuse to be merged and that the image has to be discarded but this is rare.
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up