Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma 20mm f1.4  (Read 5185 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Sigma 20mm f1.4
« on: January 01, 2016, 07:45:39 pm »

For what it's worth, I have recently replaced my trusted Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 by the new Sigma 20mm f1.4.

Having realised that I basically hardly ever use the zoom and very rarely wider than 20mm, it was in fact an easy decision.

First image captured with it last week:

In short, I just love the lens. It is very well corrected and has the sweetest bokeh I have ever seen in a wide lens.

The only slight problem is that AF is next to unusable as is on my D810, but I'll have to check what can be done with AF tuning.

Cheers,
Bernard

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
Re: Sigma 20mm f1.4
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 08:38:21 pm »

Very nice.

I am rapidly becoming a Sigma fan also.

Their entire "Global Vision" they have with their lenses now is (pardon the pun) visionary.

With all other lens manufacturers, if you're heavy into their lenses that are attached to a brand ... and decide you "must" have a particular camera back, from another manufacturer ... you have to sell all your lenses and then build back a collection again ... just for a bleepin' camera back.

Sigma has made a commitment to its customers with their Global Vision (Art/Sports) lenses to stop this nonsense.
Rather than "switch whole systems" (as many have done/are doing) Sigma offers Sigma Mount Conversion Service with any lens they build now.
By doing so, when you become vested heavy in Sigma lenses (for one particular camera brand) ... and you decide to switch brands, you don't have to get rid of your lens collection anymore.

Instead, Sigma will switch mounts for you, at only $100-$200, allowing you to keep your valuable lens collection (that you're used to).
Sigma's mantra now is a commitment to building "forever lenses" ... extreme build quality + extreme stats ... that can adapt to whatever camera platform you want.

Very forward-thinking IMO ...

Jack

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:11:43 pm »

Hello Bernard,

It is a sweet lens for sure.  I just wish they had worked the coma correction just a bit more.  But to my eyes, it's still better than the 24mm 1.4 Art for coma. 

BTW the Nisi 150 x 150 filter holder for the Phase One Schneider 28mm fits this lens with no problems if you are looking for a filter solution.

But I am going to keep the 14-24 for sure. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:00:54 am »

Hey, buddy, this is what I see on my iPad (Air 2- Retina). With a scene like that, a Coke bottle bottom as a lens would do the job 😀

Petrus

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:13:11 am »

I replaced my 14-24mm with the new Nikkor 20mm f/1.8. Zoom was just too big, heavy and clumsy to carry around. Nikkor is light but good, Sigma might be sharper, but...

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 10:04:52 am »

Hey, buddy, this is what I see on my iPad (Air 2- Retina). With a scene like that, a Coke bottle bottom as a lens would do the job 😀
But @ 100% you will see all the water molecules! :)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Conner999

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 12:50:54 pm »

Previously wrote a glowing review of the Sigma 20 based on early testing, but am dialling it back due to apparent AF issues.  First, all the superlatives of the lens you read are accurate. Brilliant wide open, great drawing, color, etc. In early brief tests our copy had accurate focus re: front/back so much so that no real AF fine tune needed. It did have some minor AF misses using outer points, but thought no biggie.

However, more stringent testing is revealing odd AF inconsistencies. Shots randomly being notably missed on clean targets for no logical reason and with no consistency - to the degree AF fine tune or dock would be pointless and do more harm than good.

Will be returning it, which is a shame because is otherwise is brilliant and exactly the wide fast glass we were looking for.     

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 01:55:10 pm »

However, more stringent testing is revealing odd AF inconsistencies. Shots randomly being notably missed on clean targets for no logical reason and with no consistency - to the degree AF fine tune or dock would be pointless and do more harm than good.
Will be returning it, which is a shame because is otherwise is brilliant and exactly the wide fast glass we were looking for...

Maybe a bit less brilliant but good and fast AF: the nikkor 24mm1.8G. Needs AF tuning but works afterwards very good.
It is a bit plastic but then only 350gr and small. It has the special feature to produce a flat focus field @infinity.
(Mind you, not by using AF but with manual focus LiveView.)
I also thinks the ( nano) coating might be superior.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 04:27:23 pm »

Maybe a bit less brilliant but good and fast AF: the nikkor 24mm1.8G. Needs AF tuning but works afterwards very good.
It is a bit plastic but then only 350gr and small. It has the special feature to produce a flat focus field @infinity.
(Mind you, not by using AF but with manual focus LiveView.)
I also thinks the ( nano) coating might be superior.

I got both. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Conner999

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 09:56:12 am »

May try the 24 or 20/1.8G, but the 1.8G lenses I've tried of late have left me underwhelmed in terms of color, wide open contrast, etc., but have yet tried the 20 or 24.  If the Sigma had a consistent AF issue, I'd simply tune the hell out of it, but these are random, very notable, misses for no apparent reason.  Then again, there's always the venerable (but slower) Zeiss 21...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:01:32 am by Conner999 »

John Koerner

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 10:20:01 am »

May try the 24 or 20/1.8G, but the 1.8G lenses I've tried of late have left me underwhelmed in terms of color, wide open contrast, etc., but have yet tried the 20 or 24.  If the Sigma had a consistent AF issue, I'd simply tune the hell out of it, but these are random, very notable, misses for no apparent reason.  Then again, there's always the venerable (but slower) Zeiss 21...

Well, hell, if you're going to go with MF, then just use the Sigma ... it's better than the Zeiss ;)

NancyP

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 11:57:43 am »

Hey, that Zeiss is a lovely lens - f/2.8, but it is good wide open.

John Koerner

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 04:18:39 pm »

Hey, that Zeiss is a lovely lens - f/2.8, but it is good wide open.

Actually, the Zeiss gets spanked pretty soundly in most comparisons:

From The Digital Picture:
  • "The Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 Distagon T* ZE Lens is close enough to 20mm to qualify for inclusion in this class. The Zeiss is a very impressively built lens and it weighs 2/3 as much, but the Zeiss has a 2-stop narrower max aperture, lacks AF and costs over 2x as much. At the max comparable aperture, the Sigma is sharper in the center of the frame with the Zeiss showing perhaps very slightly better peripheral performance, although it shows more peripheral shading at this aperture setting. The Zeiss shows considerably more flare effects."
I know the Zeiss used to enjoy a great reputation ... but it has been unchanged for years, while other companies (Sigma) not only have "caught up" ... but have left them behind.

Jack

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 04:42:02 pm »

I only own the 85mm f1.8G and the 24 f1.8G, probably the 2 best of the series. They are IMHO better than the f1.4 equivalents and I both sold.

Simply unbelievably good value and very strong performance.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:15:40 am by BernardLanguillier »

Conner999

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 06:14:46 pm »

The 24/1.8 might be worth a look, thanks, but am really targeting 20-21mm range as already have (and love) the 35 Sig.

As for manually focusing the Sig 20, we have a lot of manual focus glass and for the 20, it was a non-starter / not worth the effort (though worth a shot).  Just not enough 'pop' in the VF (LV doesn't jive with what we do) and no clear focus indicator pattern.  Besides, if I want (or must use) manual focus, I'll get a lens with mechanics suited to it. The Sig's are better than many, but being an AF lens, a far cry from a Zeiss, Voigtlander, Leica, Mamiya 645, Hassy V, etc,.

We've owned the Zeiss 21 in past and very much liked it. While I agree with the listed tests, if the 20 won't focus with any kid of consistency, it's not of much use. Baring some other lenses mentioned, the 21 may be a safe working option until/if a faster, sharper, as reliable performer hits the shelves. To use a car analogy (as 'we' always seem prone to do) if the Ferrari is proving too big a PITA in daily use, no foul in falling back to the Mercedes.

EDIT: Also, given the fixed hood, we were also looking at picking up a Lee SW150 (or equivalent) and some Lee/NiSi, etc., ND filters in addition to the 100m Lees we already have to enable use of the Sig at wider stops  (we rarely use the Rok with strobes), so it had to fire on all cylinders to justify the added goodies. 

If only Zeiss could create a 20-21mm F1.4/2 sibling to our 135 APO at (ideally) a Milvus price point...

On the Sig 20, great glass, worth a shot as we love the Sig 35/1.4, but such is life. That's what great vendors are for.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:50:28 pm by Conner999 »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 06:58:54 pm »

The Nisi holder for the Phase One Schneider 28mm fits the 20mm Sigma with no problems.  They now may have a separate holder just for the 20mm.  Nisi has 3 slots standard, for 2mm glass/resin but you can cut this down to 2 or even 1.

The Nisi is all metal, and IMO well made, and doesn't have a part that fits to the tulip hood like Lee does, (at least that is how the Lee SW-150 fits the Nikon 14-24).  Nisi has an adjustable collar that will fit the following I know for sure:

Phase One 28mm
Rokinon/Bower/Samyang 14mm
Sigma 20mm 1.4

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Conner999

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 06:27:23 am »

Thanks Paul - BTW saw some of your videos, incluidng on the NiSi vs Lee system, nicely done.

dwswager

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 08:53:02 pm »

I only own the 85mm f1.8 and the 24 f1.8, probably the 2 best of the series. They are IMHO better than the f1.4 equivalents that I both sold.

Simply unbelievably good value and very strong performance.

Cheers,
Bernard

Been looking at a replacement for my old 20mm f/2.8D Nikkor. 

Oh, and the 85mm f/1.4D was an awesome lens, but certainly makes one think 2 or 3 times spending that money over the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D.

Petrus

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 12:42:27 am »

Oh, and the 85mm f/1.4D was an awesome lens, but certainly makes one think 2 or 3 times spending that money over the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D.

Especially as they are optically quite equal.

Competition from Sigma has benefitted all, both Nikon and Canon have been forced to improve their lenses, also the "economy" versions.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 04:03:47 am »

Especially as they are optically quite equal.

Competition from Sigma has benefitted all, both Nikon and Canon have been forced to improve their lenses, also the "economy" versions.

The good thing of the 85mm 1.4G over the 1.8G might be the Nanocoating.
I did not use the 1.8G lens but came from the 1.8D and with that lens you simply had to stay away from backlight.
The coating on the 1.4G is really good.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up