Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stacking makes me crazy  (Read 1617 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Stacking makes me crazy
« on: January 01, 2016, 12:53:46 pm »

CO9's thumbnail stacking "feature" is so haphazard as to be nearly useless.

You can only stack variants, not separate images.
The ability to collapse/expand a stack isn't always available. It's missing in:
   Projects
   Smart Albums
   Filtered Albums

Does anyone even bother to use stacks?

It's a feature I would like to use far more often. Here's a couple of obvious use cases:
   Multiple, similar, portrait images
   A panorama series with the final result on top
   A stack of images used to eliminate moving subjects (tourists) from a landscape shot

I sure hope "real" stacks are a feature for the v9 series and we won't have to wait for v10. Considering that Aperture and Lightroom have "shown the way" on this feature, PO just needs to implement a known solution and not invent something new. Soon.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: Stacking makes me crazy
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:42:56 pm »

I feel your pain Bob. I miss being able to stack whatever I feel like. So of the most part, I don't bother.
Mike Guilbault

Avalanche

• Antarctica 2016
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:49:31 am »

Bob,

this is also a serious concern for me. I'm currently evaluating whether or not it's feasible to bring my Aperture library to C1. I have literally thousands of stacks in my library and loosing them is not an option for me. Stacks represent a couple of things for me: HDR images, panoramas, HDR panoramas. I add the resulting HDR images to the stack and then close the stack to hide all intermediate data.

There are a couple of things I'm thinking about:
  • Attach keywords to all images that are part of a stack in Aperture (e.g. Stacks > Stack 001, Stacks > Stack 002). That way you could select all images of a stack easily. I'm not sure yet, how well C1 deals with a couple thousand keywords...
  • Create albums from my stack. That way you could see all images that belong to a stack in isolation.
  • Add color labels to all images of a stack

The easy part would be bringing that information over from Aperture (I'm currently working on a custom and improved converter for Aperture > C1). The more difficult part is how to handle that in the future. It would be really tedious if I had to create and attach those keywords to all future stacks manually.

How is everybody else doing this? How do you organize shots that belong to HDR images or panoramas? If you migrated from Aperture, what did you do with all your stacked images?

Ranger Rick

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:09:26 am »

CO9's thumbnail stacking "feature" is so haphazard as to be nearly useless.

You can only stack variants, not separate images.
The ability to collapse/expand a stack isn't always available. It's missing in:
   Projects
   Smart Albums
   Filtered Albums

Does anyone even bother to use stacks?

It's a feature I would like to use far more often. Here's a couple of obvious use cases:
   Multiple, similar, portrait images
   A panorama series with the final result on top
   A stack of images used to eliminate moving subjects (tourists) from a landscape shot

I sure hope "real" stacks are a feature for the v9 series and we won't have to wait for v10. Considering that Aperture and Lightroom have "shown the way" on this feature, PO just needs to implement a known solution and not invent something new. Soon.

+1

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 01:17:55 am »

+2   It would also be nice if stacks could span folders as well - which would be a one-up from Lightroom.  In LR, I can't understand why the heck stacks can't span folders.
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!
Pages: [1]   Go Up