Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Standing an iPF8400 up vertically (for moving purposes)  (Read 4270 times)

chrisclark

Standing an iPF8400 up vertically (for moving purposes)
« on: December 31, 2015, 05:55:18 pm »

I just moved my iPF8400 about 30 miles no problem. The last 50 feet is a bit tricky. I've got a couple tight corners to navigate and the only way to get the printer where I want it is to stand it up vertically to maneuver it around the tight corners.

Has anyone ever dared try this? Am I crazy to even consider it?

Beyond draining the ink, any other causes of concern?

Thanks.

Chris

raminolta

Re: Standing an iPF8400 up vertically (for moving purposes)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 10:31:53 pm »

I recently got a used ipf6400 and in carrying it to my home, it got some 45 degrees of angle at the pickup before going into the truck. At my place, I placed it on a dolly and carried it alone up a few stairs where it got a nearly 90 degrees angle (very tough job; next time I will certainly ask a friend for help). I made sure the printer doesn't get a hit or shock while in that angle. The ink cartridges were nearly empty and when I had checked the waste tank, it was also %80 empty. I didn't remove them off the printer though. There is no sign of ink leakage anywhere and the printer is working fine. IPF8400 may be a different beast. It would be safer to remove the ink cartridges and the waste tank for precaution. I can't still be sure how safe it still is to turn the printer vertical despite my own successful case.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:59:23 pm by raminolta »

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 11:44:21 am »

(...)The last 50 feet is a bit tricky. I've got a couple tight corners to navigate and the only way to get the printer where I want it is to stand it up vertically to maneuver it around the tight corners.
(...)Beyond draining the ink, any other causes of concern?

Hello Chris!

I have no advice for you but I am about to do the same, so I would love to know more about your experience. Have you installed it already? Did you perform the "level 3" move procedure, the one that drains all the ink from the printer (about 2000ml they say)? How many maintenance carts you used?

Thanks!

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:40:25 pm »

Don't know if this is any help but I know Canon does not condone this and recommends the printer be horizontal when moved.

If I had to move mine I would remove the print heads and cartridges and pray.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:37:50 am »

Hello Chris!

I have no advice for you but I am about to do the same, so I would love to know more about your experience. Have you installed it already? Did you perform the "level 3" move procedure, the one that drains all the ink from the printer (about 2000ml they say)? How many maintenance carts you used?

Thanks!

Hi Geraldo,

When Canon replaced my iPF8400 they had to make the old printer stand vertically to fit into the lift for removal. The inks were supposedly fully drained by a very experienced technician, and I do not doubt his expertise in that. He did warn that not all the ink, especially in the sub-tanks can be totally 100% drained, so some spillage may occur. Exactly that happened, and the amount of ink that spilled out was substantial. I don't know if the machine is even usable afterwards. Good luck for your move!

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 01:07:25 pm »

Don't know if this is any help but I know Canon does not condone this and recommends the printer be horizontal when moved.
If I had to move mine I would remove the print heads and cartridges and pray.
When Canon replaced my iPF8400 they had to make the old printer stand vertically to fit into the lift for removal. The inks were supposedly fully drained by a very experienced technician, and I do not doubt his expertise in that. He did warn that not all the ink, especially in the sub-tanks can be totally 100% drained, so some spillage may occur. Exactly that happened, and the amount of ink that spilled out was substantial. I don't know if the machine is even usable afterwards. Good luck for your move!

Hello John and Samuel,
I have yet to move the printers, but, according to the IPF8400 service manual, the printers have three level moving preparation procedure:
Level 1 - when the printer will only be rolled on its wheels to a new location on level (no tilting). No ink is drained.
Level 2 - when the printer will be tilted no more than 30 degrees and will be loaded on a truck. All the ink inside the subtanks is drained but not the ink on the lines.
Level 3 - when the printer will tilted 90 degrees. All the ink inside the printer is drained (subtanks, lines, heads). It uses 2 waste/maintenance carts and asks a third empty one to be loaded for moving.

Again according to the service manual the heads must always stay on the printer, properly parked and locked and ink should be loaded on the printer as soon as possible after moving tho avoid clogs after level 2 and 3.

I believe the technician that moved Samuel´s printer performed a level 2 procedure to save maintenance carts as the defective printer will probably be dumped anyway.

Thanks for the inputs anyway and I will keep you posted.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 04:41:57 pm »

Geraldo, the technician performed level 3 draining - two maintenance cart were indeed used up and a third was in the machine. Canon considered my 'defective' printer to be in working condition and was going to use it as a demonstration model or something. All the best!

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 03:06:03 pm »

not true, the manual specifically tells you how.
I've upended an 8400 and an 8300. keep your hands and dolly on the hard points (steel frame) and tape shut your ink tank covers. I actually tipped mine up onto a towel and slid it with great success.

here's a different thought - the throughput of ink to drain and refill after this kind of move is incredibly hard on your print heads, you will very likely have to go through 3-4 maintenance cartridges, the literally hundreds of $ in wasted ink and possibly two print heads (if not right away, soon). it's a messy EXPENSIVE pain in the ass. If your current printer can be gotten out of where it is I would honest to god sell that one and buy a new one. move the new empty one in. you get new heads, new ink, new warranty and an empty machine to move which is infinitely easier. it sounds stupid and wasteful, but my move cost me well over $1500. that's half a new printer.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 03:09:11 pm »

also, before I forget, if you're strapping to a dolly use a very wide strap and be extra careful, there are sensors in the lid and it is easily crushable. you must stay on the hard points of the printer and they are slippery and a pain in the ass. 3 people make the project really do-able.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 09:22:43 pm »

Just to tell you we successfully moved our printers without any incident or leak.
"Move printer 3", all ink drained ($$$), standing vertical 3 times to get to the new office (two lifts and a tight corner). Four strong and experienced movers carrying it while I was coordinating and instructing.
No problems at all other than the hole in my pocket due to the ink/maintenance carts waste (as expected).

jharrisonphoto

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 10:49:26 pm »

Good to hear!   Thanks for sharing and glad it working out well.  Just moving the 8400 into my office was a bear for two movers so vertically must have been fun.
Cheers!
john
Pages: [1]   Go Up