Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Workflow Combining Capture One 9 and Lightroom CC  (Read 2440 times)

LJHLULA

A Workflow Combining Capture One 9 and Lightroom CC
« on: December 26, 2015, 02:14:38 pm »

Following Michael’s workflow tutorial "A Workflow Combining Capture One and Lightroom" in 2009, using Lightroom 2 and C1P v4.8 [I believe]. What is the current consensus now that Cap1 Pro 9 is released with a vastly superior DAM process [compared to V8.x] ? Can we assume Lightroom CC is now in catch-up mode, can't compete or indeed superior. Or is there still room for both RAW image processors in combination ?

We need to exclude tethered capture in this discussion, that is one area in which C1P excels. Need to focus more on the ingestion and processing capabilities.

Kindest,
LJH

msbc

Re: A Workflow Combining Capture One 9 and Lightroom CC
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 11:22:41 pm »

I prefer C1 for processing and Lr for DAM. Keyboarding and smart albums are still superior in Lr. I also rely on the Publish Services in Lr and there's nothing comparable in C1.

Mark
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

James R

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 04:42:14 am »

Following Michael’s workflow tutorial "A Workflow Combining Capture One and Lightroom" in 2009, using Lightroom 2 and C1P v4.8 [I believe]. What is the current consensus now that Cap1 Pro 9 is released with a vastly superior DAM process [compared to V8.x] ? Can we assume Lightroom CC is now in catch-up mode, can't compete or indeed superior. Or is there still room for both RAW image processors in combination ?

We need to exclude tethered capture in this discussion, that is one area in which C1P excels. Need to focus more on the ingestion and processing capabilities.

Kindest,
LJH

Lr is very popular with wedding photographers, other professionals, and amateurs.  Adobe is a beast, so I don't think they are in catch-up mode. 

I find integrating Lr and Co a little clumsy.  Right now I'm trying to remove Lr from my workflow, which will require me to explore the versatility of Albums. Worst case scenario is I will create a Lr catalog of all images stored in Output folders created to hold finalized CO images needing sharpening and/or PS touches.  I find Lr Slideshow more robust than CO, but I never really use all the gadgets. What I will miss is Lr Mobile.  Not sure what is the best way around this.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 09:12:48 am »

C1 Pro V9 is still lacking in the catalog department.
It appears that any stability /speed improvements from 8 to 9 were killed with the keyword "improvements".
My personal workflow:
Ingest/rate/cull/keyword using Photo Mechanic
Open Sessions in C1, navigate to the ingested folder and do my work.
Import images into C1 catalog, moving images to my "photos" drive.
Go to LR and sync "photos" drive.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 09:30:16 am »

I find integrating Lr and Co a little clumsy.  Right now I'm trying to remove Lr from my workflow..... What I will miss is Lr Mobile.  Not sure what is the best way around this.

If that's your intention, maybe look at Mylio to fill that gap? You may be substituting one area of clumsiness for another though.

James R

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 11:48:57 am »

If that's your intention, maybe look at Mylio to fill that gap? You may be substituting one area of clumsiness for another though.

Lr Mobile is a freebie that allows me to bring collections with me.  Since I get Lr with my Ps subscription, maybe I just need to figure a better way of integrating it. 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 12:10:37 pm »

Lr Mobile is a freebie that allows me to bring collections with me.  Since I get Lr with my Ps subscription, maybe I just need to figure a better way of integrating it.

The "it" being Lightroom, yes. I don't feel it's really viable to run parallel (competing?) systems to manage one's photo collection. Inefficient? Too many inconsistencies? So if I wanted a mainly C1 workflow, but also LrMobile, I suspect I'd probably avoid C1's cataloguing and stick to sessions, while relying on Lr for all management. Even then, LrMobile wouldn't show raw files with C1 adjustments. In a way, it's a step back to the days before Lr/Aperture when we tried to string together workflows from a series of apps. You can do it, if you think it's worthwhile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up