Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming new 10mm Voigtlander full-frame lens in Sony e-mount  (Read 4991 times)

jfirneno

Upcoming new 10mm Voigtlander full-frame lens in Sony e-mount
« on: December 23, 2015, 09:02:36 am »

A few months back Voigtlander announced this new lens along with e-mount versions of the existing 12mm and 15mm Voitlander lenses.  I previously rented the M-mount 12mm to try on an A7S camera that I use.  I was comparing it to the Sigma 12-24mm zoom.  I found it to be at least as sharp as the Sigma and much more convenient because of its smaller size and weight.  My question is whether anyone knows of any further information on the upcoming 10mm?  The announcement said spring but I haven't even seen a photo showing the new 10mm.  Has any information leaked out about its optical character?  Anyone care to speculate on its quality?

Regards
John

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
Re: Upcoming new 10mm Voigtlander full-frame lens in Sony e-mount
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 03:17:48 am »

I think the 12mm vers3 is very good and no comparision to the sigma 12-24/2. Also the distortion is much better controlled. Same the 15mm/vers 3 and the 21mm/ 1,8f. Voigtlaender has a stunning line of small wide angles. I will buy the 10mm as well, although it might become difficult to have motifs where the edges dont stretch to extreme. But for sure there are ...
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 04:58:07 am »

Has any information leaked out about its optical character?  Anyone care to speculate on its quality?

The only two articles I've seen on it are these two: here (with plenty of tech details) and here.

As to speculation on quality, there's plenty of that stuff in the comments to those articles. :)

jfirneno

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 09:19:00 am »

Hello Rainer and Zorki:
Thanks for your comments and the links.

Regards,
John

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 09:14:20 pm »

SAR just published full spec sheets, including lens construction and such:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/the-full-vogitlander-e-mount-lens-spec-sheet-and-optical-design/

jfirneno

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 09:36:24 pm »

SAR just published full spec sheets, including lens construction and such:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/the-full-vogitlander-e-mount-lens-spec-sheet-and-optical-design/

My knowledge of lens design is fairly non-existent.  All I could observe was that whereas the existing 12mm design has one aspherical component, the new 10mm lens has two.  I wonder if anyone here has a deeper understanding of what the details of its design might imply for its performance.  Otherwise I guess I'll have to be patient and find out what Voigtlander means by spring.

Regards,
John

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 04:40:10 am »

I think the 12mm vers3 is very good and no comparision to the sigma 12-24/2. Also the distortion is much better controlled. Same the 15mm/vers 3 and the 21mm/ 1,8f. Voigtlaender has a stunning line of small wide angles. I will buy the 10mm as well, although it might become difficult to have motifs where the edges dont stretch to extreme. But for sure there are ...

How often do you actually use such lenses? As it is, the 17mm shift lens is so wide that many architectural photographers seem to use it very sparingly. As you note, at these extremes the stretching effect at the edges gets especially hard to control, and there is the extreme scale distortion to consider as well.

If it is not too much trouble, could you show us a few examples of photos you have done with these really extreme wideangles and architectural subject matter?

jfirneno

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 12:31:48 pm »

How often do you actually use such lenses? As it is, the 17mm shift lens is so wide that many architectural photographers seem to use it very sparingly. As you note, at these extremes the stretching effect at the edges gets especially hard to control, and there is the extreme scale distortion to consider as well.

If it is not too much trouble, could you show us a few examples of photos you have done with these really extreme wideangles and architectural subject matter?

Well I'm not sure it qualifies as architecture (more like civil engineering) but there are straight lines (roads, power lines and docks).  I took these at 12mm with the Sigma zoom at Lake Mead.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 03:49:11 pm »

Well I'm not sure it qualifies as architecture (more like civil engineering) but there are straight lines (roads, power lines and docks).  I took these at 12mm with the Sigma zoom at Lake Mead.

Thanks, but I was asking Rainer specifically, since he is an accomplished professional architectural photographer.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 03:58:51 pm »

I used it in the last weeks surprisingly often, although before long time nearly not. It is very good to have such lens in the bag, there are situations where you cant capture a building with wider lenses for having little space ...
In the project of the attached images i think i used it in nearly 30% of all the 25 shots i took. This was two weeks ago in Japan. last week i photographed in Doha the new convention center. There also the 12mm was very usefull in several shots.
Reg. the stretched sides. Either take care whats in the frame or - if this isnt possible - edit the sides in PS. copy and layer them and push them together a  little bit till the image looks more natural.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:06:03 pm by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

jfirneno

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 08:39:40 am »

A distributor for Voigtlander (Cameraquest) is taking deposits for pre-order on these lenses.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/camerquest-taking-preorders-on-new-voigtlander-fe-lenses-estimate-delivery-in-april/

The estimate is April delivery.  Sooner than I thought.  Good.

bombo

• Facebook/bomboholder
    • The Profesional filter's holder manufactor
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 06:03:43 am »

Some more sample pics of Voigtlander 10mm here:

jfirneno

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 06:28:05 am »

Some more sample pics of Voigtlander 10mm here:

Bombo:

Nice shots.  What city is shown?