Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya sells its camera business  (Read 7848 times)

alba63

Mamiya sells its camera business
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:52:48 pm »

Hi, I have been reading a while here without posting, and as it hasn't been mentioned as far as I can see, here is a message one has heard similar ones in the last year:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/21/mamiya-...-on-camera-biz/

It has been posted on different web sites, also german ones (I am german) - Mamiya apparently plans to seel its camera business.

The ZD was maybe a bit too late.

Not a nice news.

regards, Bernie

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 02:38:25 pm »

Very unfortunate. Here is another link:

http://digitalphotography.weblogsinc.com/2...amera-business/

dG
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 02:39:01 pm by jecxz »

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 03:10:25 pm »

It's really sad, and I say that as a user of Hasselblad H and V equipment. Unless there's a vibrant and competitive market for medium format equipment why will Hasselblad bother to drive forward development and innovation? They were slow enough in the 70's and 80's, now they'll have very reason to stagnate.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 06:40:31 pm »

Gary,
being sold doesn't mean the end!
But I agree with you about the competition issue.
Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

BJL

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 07:17:38 pm »

Unless there's a vibrant and competitive market for medium format equipment why will Hasselblad bother to drive forward development and innovation?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63294\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hopefully competition from below from Canon will force Hasselblad-Imacon to justify their existence, and Pentax might provide some pressure too.

But my feeling is that the H system has achieved its dominance while being easily the most expensive 645 system by grabbing the high ground. I suspect that a lot those chosing a digital MF system reason that "MF digital is so expensive anyway that you might as well go for the best (or most prestigious) in bodies, lenses and support network, with little regard to price." The lower budget MF users like wedding photographers who made Pentax 645 a success will probably move on to smaller digital formats, if they have not already.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 07:19:00 pm by BJL »

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 07:53:39 pm »

Gary,
But I agree with you about the competition issue.
Cheers,
Willem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63317\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I just watched a video on the Leaf site the photographer was using an Aptus/Mamiya 645 AFD handheld. Try doing that with the Hasselblad H system their lenses are heavy. Leaf or Phase will have to do something, maby talking to this new company would be a start. Hasselblad has their own system.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 10:04:27 pm »

Denis,
I've tried both Mamiya 645 and H1 coupled with the Aptus and it has nothing to do with the weight.
What's important is the balance.
To me either camera will do,however I'm leaning towards the H1.
I realize the 50-110 HC is a real mother,but stick it on the camera and it's fine.
There are stacks of fashion and portrait guys who use the H1/50-110 combo.
See yo at the show next week!
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

alba63

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 07:45:05 am »

Hopefully competition from below from Canon will force Hasselblad-Imacon to justify their existence, and Pentax might provide some pressure too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63319\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may be right about Canon, if they bring the 1ds III people have been talking about (22MP), as for Pentax I guess more that they will be the next Mamiya. They are late to the digital market, both in 35mm DSLR and in MF (what is a 18MP MF SLR against a faster and more versatile DSLR from Canon with 22MP?

The first ones in the market have been Nikon and Canon (and SOny) and Hasselblad in the MF market and exactly those are the ones who do best. Kodak already went out of everything but compact market which has the lowest margins and the least money to earn.

regards, Bernie

BJL

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 05:07:45 pm »

as for Pentax I guess more that they will be the next Mamiya ... what is a 18MP MF SLR against a faster and more versatile DSLR from Canon with 22MP?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I try to be optimistic about the Pentax "64AFD" project, though I admit it is a struggle!

For one thing, they could move on to the newer Kodak KAF-31600 31.6MP sensor in the same 33x44mm format as they are planning to use for now. And the 31600 has micro-lenses, so about twice the senitivity (maximum usable ISO speed) compared to the 39MP 37x49mm KAF-39000 that Hasselblad-Imacon is using. Then Canon 24x36mm format sensors and current Canon lenses could have trouble matching that resolution, while on the other side, the somewhat smaller 33x44mm sensor might give Pentax a lower cost niche compared to Hasselblad's larger 37x39mm sensors and far more expensive Fujinon lenses.

Meanwhile, either choice of 33x44mm Kodak Full Frame CCD should have a dynamic range advantage over what Canon can offer in 24x36mm format for now, so for low speed, low ISO, high dynamic range work, there might be a niche.

But maybe not weddings any more?!

Mamiya's problems seemed to include a technological lag in signal processing, firmware, software and such: Pentax has far more digital experience and resources, so might do better there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 05:10:02 pm by BJL »

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 05:26:32 pm »

Gary,
Cheers,
Willem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63317\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I agree Mamiya is to be sold with approval and here is a quote from John Francis/ Leica forum about Hasselblad:
In the past 15 years, Hasselblad was sold and re-sold several times.  It came very close to bankruptcy and was eventually bought out by the holding company “Shiro Sweden”, part of the Shiro Group, headquartered in Hong Kong.  Note that it was Shiro that acquired Imacon.  As a result of Shiro’s acquisition of Victor Hasselblad AB of Sweden, the new Hasselblad H2, along with the original H1, are now designed and manufactured in Japan by Fujifilm.  This includes all cameras and lenses.  The Hasselblad H system is therefore the first one not to use the traditional German Carl Zeiss lenses.  

Here is part of the press release from Imaging Resource:

Given the difficult market for a medium format camera manufacturer, the Board of Directors today approved a contract to sell the entirity of the optical instruments business section to Cosmos Scientific Systems Inc. The plan will be put before shareholders at a general meeting scheduled for June 29th, 2006 - and if approval is gained, the transaction will be concluded on September 1st 2006.

As part of the transaction, Cosmos will take over the property and fixed assets of Mamiya's optical unit, as well as assuming rights to related contracts, patents and trademarks, and certain debts. Mamiya notes that a "considerable number" of their optical unit employees will also move to Cosmos, and the company will also assume responsibility for after-sales service of Mamiya's cameras.
Thanks Denis Montalbetti
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 04:38:00 am »

Unless there's a vibrant and competitive market for medium format equipment why will Hasselblad bother to drive forward development and innovation? They were slow enough in the 70's and 80's, now they'll have very reason to stagnate.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63294\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or charge even higher prices...
Pages: [1]   Go Up