Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headshot photography  (Read 1831 times)

MarkL

Headshot photography
« on: December 21, 2015, 08:19:04 am »

I’m interested in hearing people’s experiences in this area. I have a full time office job but also shoot weddings but the weekend working. stress and long days are hard going so I’m looking to add something else. In this day and age I think diversification as a photographer is a good thing too.

I live in right in the film industry region (Star Wars, Harry Potter, James Bond etc. done here) and in quick reach of London so I thinking of branching out into doing headshots. I’ve recently done some of drama students applying to acting schools and it was nice simple work. I’m not totally up to speed with what agencies want these days though.

In my area there are also lots of sole-trader type businesses who all need pictures for IG, FB, website, blogs etc. so this may also be a good market especially if I also go beyond a simple headshot and get shots of them doing their trade. I did some shots in the  summer of a triathlete running and on her bike in the summer which was fun, I’ve also done shots for a cake decorator.

I’ll probably shy away from corporate headshots but the majority people on my linkedin have their own professional pictures now and it is pretty mach mandatory for recruitment agents.

I imagine for actors it is still studio they want which I can do from home but I’d rather do more location work which seems to be more in vogue these days.

drmike

• On Flickr:
Re: Headshot photography
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 11:46:13 am »

Actors only think about new photos when work is quiet, so when they phone you up they are always broke.

And there you have the main problem I suspect. they may offer jam tomorrow :)

MarkL

Re: Headshot photography
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 12:28:10 pm »

Actors only think about new photos when work is quiet, so when they phone you up they are always broke.

Thanks Paul. This was my main worry going after actors! I'll cast a wide net but will probably focus on sole trader/small business owners.
Pages: [1]   Go Up