Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with prints/books from Panasonic FZ1000  (Read 1505 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Experience with prints/books from Panasonic FZ1000
« on: December 18, 2015, 02:56:44 pm »

I'm a D800E user and truly love the photos I'm getting, but also realize there are times when I want something smaller over my shoulder that can still make decent raw files good enough for, say 13x19 prints and 12" books. I'm primarily a landscape photographer (and will continue to use my DSLR equipment for that), but I also enjoy travel photography and see a potential niche for a camera like the FZ1000.

Video is not important to me, but image quality is. I also like the reach of the 400mm lens and the lower cost of the FZ1000 compared to the Sony RX-10ii (and the G3X w/ELV). I've read Michael's take on the various "bridge" cameras, plus lots of reviews; what's lacking is first-hand anecdotes from users with similar values and uses.

If you have first-hand experience with the FZ1000 or another comparable camera that would recommend over the FZ1000 - I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

tcyin

• https://www.neurotraveler.com
    • neurotraveler.com
Re: Experience with prints/books from Panasonic FZ1000
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 04:28:54 pm »

I've been shooting with the Lumix FZ series for a number of years, first with the FZ200 and then since 2015 with the FZ1000. The FZ200's sensor was just too small so I upgraded. Of course even with the FZ1000 the sensor size is a limitation compared with DSLR but my shoulders appreciate the size. For samples of what this camera can do, go to my photo and travelogue website www.neurotraveler.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:25:30 am »

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply. As it turns out I bought a FZ1000 a few years ago, used it in Iceland, loved it, then upgraded to a Sony RX-10iii. I was drawn to the slightly faster lens and extra reach of the 600 and have not been disappointed. I am also using an iPhone 8 Plus and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality I’m able to get shooting raw and hdr-raw files using a Lightroom Mobile - plenty good enough for small prints and photo books. See Sony RX-10iii - The Ultimate Travel Camera and Ethiopia photography .
– Terry
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 12:45:01 pm »

I've just returned from a short trip to Bhutan, where my RX10 IV performed admirably.  Its limitations are well within acceptable limits for photo books and screen viewing.  A 20:1 zoom lens is a powerful photographic tool, especially when it virtually disappears when not in use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up