Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing presets?  (Read 2416 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Printing presets?
« on: December 17, 2015, 10:48:29 am »

As best I've been able to figure out CO printing presets is that there is essentially one - to control the print cell size(s) on the page - the template.

What I'd like to do is set up a printer and paper size/type, with its profile, as a preset. For example, I'd like one for "3880 with 16x20 Epson Exhibition Fiber using the CololMunki ICC profile."

Otherwise, every time I open the print dialog, I have to set all that up again, regardless of what I may have printed on the very last time I opened the dialog. CO has forgotten everything except the template. :(

How is everyone handling this?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Re: Printing presets?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:03:43 pm »

As best I've been able to figure out CO printing presets is that there is essentially one - to control the print cell size(s) on the page - the template.

What I'd like to do is set up a printer and paper size/type, with its profile, as a preset. For example, I'd like one for "3880 with 16x20 Epson Exhibition Fiber using the CololMunki ICC profile."

Otherwise, every time I open the print dialog, I have to set all that up again, regardless of what I may have printed on the very last time I opened the dialog. CO has forgotten everything except the template. :(

How is everyone handling this?

Hi Bob,

If you have full access to the videos you want to check out Capture Pro 7 video 30 on printing. That may help answer your question on printer preset. I found it to be helpful even though it is version 7. Cheers!

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 12:11:41 pm »

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te9A_jRI91Y

Sadly, it didn't help with presets.
Bob Rockefeller

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 12:16:37 pm »

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te9A_jRI91Y

Sadly, it didn't help with presets.

No, I was talking about the videos here on this Website if you have full access.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:18:00 pm »

I do. And I'll look, But can you post a link, too?
Bob Rockefeller

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 12:31:04 pm »

Found it:

https://luminous-landscape.com/videos/guide-capture-one-pro-7/printing/

But, again, not much about presets. They briefly mention the template presets, but don't point out that it does not save anything about printer, paper or profile. It won't even save the black point compensation selection.

I think PO has missed an opportunity here.
Bob Rockefeller

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 12:46:37 pm »

I think PO has missed an opportunity here.

Hi Bob,

This (printing) is one of the areas where improvements are needed. Version 9 has introduced improved rescaling, so if they now expand and add better output sharpening (and a preview), and some user presets management, it may become usable.

However, I use Qimage Ultimate for print management, so I'm not the one who will attempt to prioritize it on the improvement list that the engineers are steadily ticking off. Implementation of other items is more important to me, but maybe not for others.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 01:10:43 pm »

However, I use Qimage Ultimate for print management, so I'm not the one who will attempt to prioritize it on the improvement list that the engineers are steadily ticking off. Implementation of other items is more important to me, but maybe not for others.
I'm used to printing directly from Lightroom (Aperture before that) so don't know about Qimage.

I'll do some research, but I assume it has a Mac version? And it requires a TIFF or JPG file exported from CO?
Bob Rockefeller

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 01:22:58 pm »

Nope. No Mac version.  >:(

That's a dead end.
Bob Rockefeller

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 01:27:50 pm »

I'm used to printing directly from Lightroom (Aperture before that) so don't know about Qimage.

I'll do some research, but I assume it has a Mac version? And it requires a TIFF or JPG file exported from CO?

Qimage is basically a Windows program, but it is so good that a number of people keep a PC dedicated for printing next to their Mac. If one has Virtual PC or Parallels or similar, that's also reported to work just fine. Qimage in principle takes TIFF or JPEG input, but it also has it's own Raw converter built in. I've been using it for something like more than a decade (with frequent updates that really add functionality), and it's still hard to beat.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 03:34:50 pm »

I used to have a mass of presets in Aperture and every time you upgraded an OS or a print driver or the programme they would disappear or not work properly. I then bought Mirage and all of my printing problems of presets and in particular wrong size or orientation prints went away. I don't print from any editing programme now. They all just export a TIFF. Saves me a huge amount of time and money in ink and paper.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 03:46:37 pm »

I used to have a mass of presets in Aperture and every time you upgraded an OS or a print driver or the programme they would disappear or not work properly. I then bought Mirage and all of my printing problems of presets and in particular wrong size or orientation prints went away. I don't print from any editing programme now. They all just export a TIFF. Saves me a huge amount of time and money in ink and paper.

Mirage is €300!? At that price it should handle things well.

But I've never had presets failing or going missing with Aperture or Lightroom. And I'd rather not create separate, huge, TIFF files for printing.

Ultimately, I hope that PO will just add printer presets to CO. They have presets for many other things; it seems as if printing should follow along.
Bob Rockefeller

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 06:20:00 am »

Mirage is €300!? At that price it should handle things well.

But I've never had presets failing or going missing with Aperture or Lightroom. And I'd rather not create separate, huge, TIFF files for printing.

Ultimately, I hope that PO will just add printer presets to CO. They have presets for many other things; it seems as if printing should follow along.

You don't have to keep the files. Just create 'em, print 'em, and toss 'em. The raw files will still have the same adjustments. Just keep a "print" variant.
Unfortunately C1 will not allow you to rename a variant so you will have to figure a workaround, such as a print color tag.

I wouldn't hold my breath on PO improving C1's printing capability. They seem to be more focused on color and rendering.

Another option is to keep Aperture or LR as your print engine and create a print catalog in either.

Although some don't like the CC subscription model, this is yet another reason to do  it. You will find that C1 is not an all-in one like LR or (I'm guessing) Aperture.
Although its a great front end raw editor, its a bit lacking in some retouching areas, and you may find yourself needing to export an image into PS for final editing. So the CC is good way to keep that option open.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 07:19:49 am »

I wouldn't hold my breath on PO improving C1's printing capability. They seem to be more focused on color and rendering.

And this is a key point. CO is a RAW converter with some other features bolted around that engine. I first came to CO when it was at v3 LE, or so; all it was, and all I needed, was a RAW converter. And then came Aperture followed closely by Lightroom - they brought real RAW workflow to the table and I haven't looked back.

CO might get there some day. I was hoping the demise of Aperture, and the resulting group of displaced photographers, would have spurred CO to be it's spiritual successor. And it may become so. But now Lightroom has the overwhelming market and mind share being used by prosumers and top end professionals alike. CO doesn't yet have the feature set to fully compete as an end-to-end RAW workflow tool.

So I may have to continue watching CO's development from the sidelines as it grows, and perhaps moves toward the workflow tool Aperture was, and Lightroom is.
Bob Rockefeller

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 04:07:55 pm »

I still use Aperture. Waiting for something better to come along one day, maybe.

In regard to the Mirage cost, divide it by your hourly rate. Download the free 14 day trial. Try it. It is a lot cheaper than a RIP.

As for large print files, well I make large prints and a 16 bit TIFF gives the best quality.

I don't discard the print file. That is how I ensure consistency by always printing from the same file and you never have to worry about setting a particular pixels and resolution. It just works it out.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 05:03:52 pm »

I still use Aperture. Waiting for something better to come along one day, maybe.

Sadly, Aperture's RAW adjustment capability has fallen pretty far behind CO and LR. :(
Bob Rockefeller

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 10:22:56 pm »

Sadly, Aperture's RAW adjustment capability has fallen pretty far behind CO and LR. :(
I haven't seen much on CO raw support for Hasselblad. I am not aware that it exists at all. So a road block for me.
Lightroom I have tried and not impressed with.
My main use for a Aperture is as a database and I think there it has no equal. Any heavy work is Photoshop.
My experience with presets is that if you changed the printer or even how it was connected then the presets had to be done again, and you had to have one for every paper and every size. Complete waste of time.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 08:43:10 am »

My experience with presets is that if you changed the printer or even how it was connected then the presets had to be done again, and you had to have one for every paper and every size.

:) One man's trash is another man's treasure?

I love having presets for specific printers, paper, and size! Set once and pick as needed.
Bob Rockefeller
Pages: [1]   Go Up