Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Scan Software With Windows 10  (Read 16509 times)

IanBarber

• Ian Barber Photography
Nikon Scan Software With Windows 10
« on: December 16, 2015, 07:31:31 am »

Has anyone found a work around to get the Nikon Scan software to work with Windows 10.

I am currently using it with Windows 7 with the Nikon 9000ED but before I jump over to Windows 10, I was wondering if anyone has managed to get it working under Windows 10.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Nikon Scan Software With Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:35:09 am »

Has anyone found a work around to get the Nikon Scan software to work with Windows 10.

I am currently using it with Windows 7 with the Nikon 9000ED but before I jump over to Windows 10, I was wondering if anyone has managed to get it working under Windows 10.

If Nikon Scan works on Windows 7, why wouldn't it under Windows 10? I know, drivers may need updating, so there is always a risk of breaking things, but that's why I use VueScan Pro to drive all the scanners I've used over the years.

I paid for VueScan Pro once (many moons ago) and have been updating and upgrading for free ever since. It has also worked well together with Nikon scanners, so I never bothered to try getting outdated Manfacturers software working on new computer operating systems. I can also use the same user interface for all scanner models.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

aderickson

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 10:40:59 am »

I had a working copy of Nikon Scan with my Coolscan V on Windows 7 using the method on this site: http://axelriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/nikon-ls-40-ls-50-ls-5000-scanners-on.html

Unfortunately, when I upgraded to Windows 10 it no longer worked. Apparently some people have no problem.

My solution was to download and install the trial version of Silverfast 8. This allowed Nikon Scan to work but strangely I could not get Silverfast to work!

Allan

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 12:19:37 pm »

I don't think Nikon is supporting the software any longer and you may be out of luck getting it to work on Win 10 without an updated driver.  Best approach is to switch to either Silverfast or VueScan

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:02:51 pm »

It can be done.

I upgraded in place from Win 7 to Win 10, and got NikonScan working. The key is that first you have to go into Win 10 settings to allow Windows 10 to install unsigned drivers; then you go into Device Manager, find the CoolScan entry and update the driver, pointing to the hacked inf file, just like you did with Win 7.  Here's a how-to link updated to include Win 10 that also contains a new .inf file if your old one does not work.  http://blog.controlspace.org/2010/05/nikon-scan-on-windows-7-and-vista-64.html

Here is a link to instructions to set Win 10 to accept unsigned drivers.  http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

BTW, the thing I like about the NikonScan software is that it lets me increase analog exposure, something I find useful (in moderation) when scanning Kodachromes. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:14:20 pm by AFairley »

r010159

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 03:34:27 am »

Would the WinXP emulator provided by Microsoft work in this case?

Bob

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 12:21:40 pm »

XP "compatibility mode" will not work, but the "XP Mode" i.e., virtual machine, (only provided for "pro" versions and above AFAIK (though there are workarounds, see http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060/create-an-xp-mode-for-windows7-home-versions-and-vista/ which will require you to have a copy of XP to install)) should.

Another solution for the "home" version would be to set up to dual boot between Win 10 and XP using a boot manager such as Acronis (for which you would need a copy of XP to install). 

IMO using the edited .inf file approach is a lot cleaner and ultimately simpler, because setting up the virtual machine or a dual boot is fairly complicated in terms of downloads and setup.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:29:27 pm by AFairley »

tnargs

• Just testing, very testing
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 05:37:06 pm »

I gave up on it long ago and found VueScan Pro to be a superior alternative that allows me to learn one scanning software for all my needs.
“Symbolism exists to adorn and enrich, n

AFairley

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 12:29:06 pm »

I gave up on it long ago and found VueScan Pro to be a superior alternative that allows me to learn one scanning software for all my needs.

I'll repeat that the reason I stick with NikonScan is that (a) it allows me to boost actual exposure in the scan (either by boosting light source intensity or changing scan speed, I don't know which), a feature I use for almost every Kodachrome I scan, and (b) it allows me to measure the focus value for different points on the slide and manually set a value based on the measurements (this lets you to focus stack for buckled slides) or alternatively to autofocus on a particular point of the slide.  I was unable to do either of these when I investigated VueScan, which I otherwise found to be excellent scanning software.  Perhaps these features have been added since then.  But horses for courses, as they say.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 12:48:00 pm »

I'll repeat that the reason I stick with NikonScan is that (a) it allows me to boost actual exposure in the scan (either by boosting light source intensity or changing scan speed, I don't know which), a feature I use for almost every Kodachrome I scan, and (b) it allows me to measure the focus value for different points on the slide and manually set a value based on the measurements (this lets you to focus stack for buckled slides) or alternatively to autofocus on a particular point of the slide.  I was unable to do either of these when I investigated VueScan, which I otherwise found to be excellent scanning software.  Perhaps these features have been added since then.  But horses for courses, as they say.

Hi Alan,

VueScan has been able to control the individual R/G/B/IR channel exposure times on the Coolscan models since day one. I already used it when I had an LS2000, and have used it on the LS4000, and read positive reports for the LS5000/8000/9000.

The LEDs emit a constant amount of light, but VueScan can change the time it allows the exposure to last, individually for the R/G/B and Infrared LEDs. That makes them perfectly capable of removing the Mask on Color Negative film and producing superior scan noise quality for each channel. Also films like Kodachrome, which were intended to be projected with a warm color temperature lamp, can be optimally neutralized in response.

It also allows to boost the exposure to near sensor clipping levels by displaying Raw linear gamma sensor signal levels, and thus minimize photon noise. Additionally one can do up to 16 exposures that get averaged to reduce scan noise to 1/4th of the level of a single scan.

It also allows to manually place the focus anywhere on the (curved) film surface, or search for a good average for the entire frame.

IR dust and scratches removal works well, but on Kodachrome it is not recommended (but can be attempted) due to the residual silver in Kodachromes that got inadequately processed.

Cheers,
Bart

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 01:00:01 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

AFairley

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 04:57:10 pm »

Bart, thanks for the clarification.  Though when I tried VueScan, you could set focus manually, but there was no way to measure different points on the frame to determine the compromise value (or multiple values for stacking) one would want to use.  But I'll have to check out the latest version, it has been a while.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:43:32 pm by AFairley »

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 07:02:29 pm »

I used NikonScan 15+ years ago but VueScan ever since since the latter supports all kinds of scanners, old and new.

As for any missing features, contact VueScan's developer (Ed Hamrick) and see what he says. He pushes updates frequently so chances are good.

PS: In the case of a Canon 9000F flatbed scanner, I prefer to use Canon's own driver since both the scanner and driver are of recent vintage and work well together. But for the old Nikon Coolscan IV, it's obviously VueScan for me.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up