Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Moon landing a fake? ..Stanley Kubrick  (Read 71989 times)

Telecaster

Re: Moon landing a fake? ..Stanley Kubrick
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2016, 03:42:17 pm »

As a cynic, I like to play games of "follow the money".

Yup. (I prefer "realist" while admitting there's often a fine line between that and "cynic.")

But the moon landing? Who would "gain" by having it declared fake? Anti NASA-ers? It does not make sense to me, even ignoring the massive evidence that it happened.

I doubt anyone in denial about the moon landings cares about having them somehow declared fake. The goal is IMO just to create enough doubt to allow yourself to continue believing in whatever it is that conflicts with the possibility of humans visiting the moon.

On a trek through southern Israel in summer 1984 I met a guy, an American, who believed the sky was literally a dome encircling the earth…with the stars, planets, moon, etc. in effect holograms projected on it. He was very sincere about this and other weird (to me) notions, and as he was otherwise a seemingly sane guy—and an amiable traveling companion for the few days we spent going in the same direction—I chose not to "debate" with him.

-Dave-

DanLehman

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2016, 02:10:14 am »

I believe there is no truth in the news, no news in the truth.
I think that it was (perhaps) James Fallows who on some recent (2 weeks) radio interview opined that "the news" had taken a bad turn once it was required to be entertainment.  It needs to sensationalize stuff in order to get attention --which is a sad commentary on the populace, too, of course.

Maybe that makes me a skeptic, but honestly, how can you turn on three news channels with a bias reporting the same story with three different tones, or more than that three different story outcome from the same event.
Hmmm, I find it of less variety and more dependable bias, often.  OTOH, there can be a sad lack of actual news investigation, wit, & reporting, and more an --all sounds the same-- echo chamber of commentary --can do that from the armchair.  E.g., the shocking killing of that crazed youth with a knife, shot 16 times --most while lying wounded-- kept getting reported as "while he was walking away ..." and yet the video before my eyes showed it differently : he was walking *by* but then spun rapidly around :: that is NOT a wise move when nervous guns are pointed at you (and isn't exactly just "walking away")!  Even the language : once we had "hunkering" and now unfortunately it's all "doubling down".  Looks more than language skills seem to be in demand for TeeVee (and why do we have to look at the on-the-scene reporter's groomed hair instead of THE SCENE itself????!).  --a most recent peeve : mathematicians have found a peculiarity in the prime numbers showing a lack of randomness; the CBC's As It Happens reported this by a guy too keen for presumed comic acting than reporting, viz. Jeff Douglas; the segment was drawn out by his mocking presentation & short on facts, followed by selected rock music that must've involved numbers.  (Egadz, why his credentials are so matching --to wit: " Jeff Douglas is a Canadian presenter, actor and television personality" .:. perfect for "news" as entertainment.   (As for the primes,  cf www.nature.com/news/peculiar-pattern-found-in-random-prime-numbers-1.19550

... okay, I could rant on so better run off ...

--dl*
====

Garry Sarre

• Photography by Sarre
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2016, 09:39:26 pm »

Having listened to Trump's dialogue, I have noticed that many people, (left and right wing, university educated and not) in trusted company, speak very much like him. Saying what you think, directly and honestly, without filtering for fear of not being liked, is sooooo refreshing.

Portrait Photographer and printer

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2016, 08:34:06 am »

Having listened to Trump's dialogue, I have noticed that many people, (left and right wing, university educated and not) in trusted company, speak very much like him. Saying what you think, directly and honestly, without filtering for fear of not being liked, is sooooo refreshing.

Hi Garry,

Sociopaths (and I'm being kind) like Trump, and others who present simple 'black and white' solutions, are not refreshing, they spread a kind of neo-facist populism, which poisons coherent societies. Studies have shown that they do not perform better than others, they only have no remorse when things go south. They usually leave a trail of casualties.

I can recommend a book called "Snakes in suits" (summary review) for those who prefer to think twice, instead of going for the simple solutions (which are often the wrong solutions).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:44:34 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2016, 11:00:36 am »

... Sociopaths...

Yes, it is so much better to have cool, smooth-talking, hope-peddling, Rome-burning fiddlers instead. Or those promising a free ice cream day in the land of butterflies and unicorns.

Telecaster

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2016, 04:43:41 pm »

The thing I like about the possible GOP nominee is that he's an effective bigot/asshole outer. What was once covert is now, whether you/they like it or not, overt. Who can now pretend the Southern Strategy hasn't existed or still doesn't exist? IMO it's better to know where people actually stand on things.

-Dave-

hjulenissen

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2016, 04:12:22 am »

Hi Garry,

Sociopaths (and I'm being kind) like Trump, and others who present simple 'black and white' solutions, are not refreshing, they spread a kind of neo-facist populism, which poisons coherent societies. Studies have shown that they do not perform better than others, they only have no remorse when things go south. They usually leave a trail of casualties.

I can recommend a book called "Snakes in suits" (summary review) for those who prefer to think twice, instead of going for the simple solutions (which are often the wrong solutions).

Cheers,
Bart
As a politician, there must be a tension between being ideological vs pragmatic.

The ideological politician has a lot going for her. By studying a compact set of ideology, one can (fairly accurately) predict her opinion in a range of questions. For me, that is efficient. I don't have the time (or inclination) to dive deeply into the fine details of trade deals between the EU and the EEA (European Economic Area). I trust that a politician who get my vote have a general view that makes her (with help from her people) dive into the matter, make a choice, and debate that view with other politicians in such a way that we the people are educated. On the other hand, when things go bad with ideological people, things tends to go really bad. Be it religion, politics or camera settings.

The pragmatic politician is more of a "car mechanic" in that whatever works, works. This tends to correlate with the "populist" label, meaning that instead of following a (hopefully deeply though out) consistent ideology, their opinion can swing any which way the people swing. For a democracy, this can be a great thing. So what if our leaders decide that some line of thought is below them ("having large predators in our nature is potentially dangerous to our kids. Lets eradicate all of them"). Even though I am against this particular thought, I see the problem with having large parts of the voters swaying one way, and nearly all politicians swaying the other way. The "populists" come to the rescue by perhaps good gut-feeling, perhaps carefully analyzing the "market" and finding the blank spots.

I don't know or understand the fine points of US politics (why should I, it is not my country). I do believe that my own country and neighbors have had our fair share of right-wing, anti-establishment populists, though. They don't get my vote for a number of reasons. While I have liberal and liberalist tendencies compared to the political centre of gravity in my country, I think that these guys tick all of the wrong boxes. Cheaper alcohol, more repression in schools and refusing working foreigners access to our country is probably not what would make my country "great" instead of merely "good".

Having a particular sociolect or dialect does not make you any better (or worse) as a politician. Everything should be stated as simple as possible, but not any simpler. By this, I mean that some things are inherently complex. I would rather have a politician who says that "global warming is complex but we should do as best we can with the knowledge that we have", rather than one who says that "it is all lies" or one who says that "abolish your lifestyle today, or else the world is doomed". I do acknowledge that some of them are annoyingly un-inclusive, or rather: their political training have taught them how to avoid offending anyone or admitting that any action they do will have any negative consequences for anyone. Thus, the information content of their speech is close to zero.

-h

Telecaster

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2016, 05:19:17 pm »

Yes, there's a balance between having a coherent worldview and holding positions in accord with that, while also being persuadable by evidence and the rational evaluation of it. Politics unfortunately tends to attract the unbalanced polar extremes: feckless twist-in-the-winds and rigid ideologues.

When it comes to demagogues you can throw all that out the window. There is seemingly no worldview beyond the need to indulge in self-aggrandizement and little regard for reason or evidence.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2016, 02:03:05 pm »

Last night the lens attached to my camera landed, so to speak, on the almost full Moon. Is the photo real or fake? You be the judge.  ;)

-Dave-

BradSmith

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2016, 02:53:57 pm »

Dave, nice image of the holographic projection on the Dome.
Brad

Telecaster

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 04:29:04 pm »

Hehe, impressive tech for sure.  ;D

-Dave-

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2016, 04:33:25 pm »

Interesting where this has gone over time, yet surely the only news I can rely on are the local weather predictions :-)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Telecaster

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2016, 03:13:00 pm »

Yep. The only news I pay serious attention to—besides weather forecasts—concerns financial market behavior, baseball, music & musicians I like and events & discoveries in the astrophysics realm.  :)  The rest will be, I suspect, best understood in retrospect.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2016, 03:33:56 pm »

Another month, another Moon. I like how the cloudy/hazy stuff has lowered contrast and given the Moon's surface a silvery sheen.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2016, 02:56:10 pm »

It seems I observed & photographed a plane attempting to land on the crescent edge of last evening's Moon.

-Dave-

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2016, 09:20:07 am »

Very cool (fake) Moon landing, Dave.

Telecaster

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2016, 08:14:33 pm »

Thanks. I was hoping the plane's pilot might be Sully, but if so he's been silent thus far on the subject.  :)

Pertinent to another current LuLa thread, originally about the video capabilities of SLRs but having now veered into Leicas and film cameras and various other stuff, here's a pic of the Moon from about 30 minutes ago. Taken with my black Leica M8.2 and a 54-year-old 135/4 Tele-Elmar lens. Nothing special but I like taking record shots of the Moon in its various phases. I've also included a full-res crop to show the per-pixel quality of the camera/lens combo. Not bad IMO for 10mp and an "effective focal length" (do not like that term) of ~180mm.

-Dave-

BobDavid

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2016, 03:28:36 pm »

Of course the moonwalks happened. I am concerned about anyone who thinks otherwise. Here's an informative short film that debunks conspiracy myths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGXTF6bs1IU

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 03:33:56 pm by BobDavid »

Telecaster

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2016, 05:20:33 pm »

The Apollo 15 landing site, as photographed by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter spacecraft in 2012:

ALSEP = Apollo Lunar Surface Experiments Package
LRV = Lunar Roving Vehicle, aka "Rover"

Of course if you can't handle human space travel you'll dismiss the photo too.

The attached pic is one you'd better not dismiss! I took it last evening.  :D

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2016, 03:54:27 pm »

Since we're already veeering so much here: the attached pic is of me at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida—with a modded Saturn V rocket, in fact the last Saturn V to launch, containing Skylab in the background—taken by my dad in early May 1973. This is an outtake…the good pic, with me looking at the camera rather than squinting, resides with a cousin in the UK. Dad used his Leica M2, 50/2 Summicron lens and Kodachrome 64. On this trip I had to manage with my Kodak Instamatic, which was quite a letdown after being allowed to use the Leica during the previous year.  :)  Dad took pics of Skylab's launch (while I, inexplicably, did not), which we saw ~10 days later from a nearby vantage point, but my cousin has these too.

-Dave-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up