Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Kind Request to Posters re Image Size  (Read 5458 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
A Kind Request to Posters re Image Size
« on: December 12, 2015, 02:29:48 pm »

As illustrated in this thread, posting images larger than 800px (and up to 1200px) will result in them being displayed inside the post, instead of being opened in a new tab/window. What it means is, depending on the size of your screen and platform (e.g. iPad), we will see it only partially, requiring scrolling to see the whole image. That significantly diminishes the experience of enjoying the whole image.

I've read on occasion that the administrators are recommending (requiring?) to limit posted images to 800px. That sounds reasonable, saves the bandwidth, and allows everyone to see the image at once.

If, however, you feel your image needs to be seen larger, please avoid sizes between 800px and 1200px and use something like 1210px, as it will open in a new tab or window as a whole image.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: A Kind Request to Posters re Image Size
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 04:34:12 pm »

I second the motion.

Personally, I much prefer having images open in a second window, as that lets me play with cropping, etc., which I can't do with images contained in the post.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 05:27:28 pm »

We are looking into all these size issues in the forum and will have a meeting on it next week with our developers.  A lot of this actually is dictated by the forum software itself.  We'll let everyone know about sizing once we have some ideas of what can or cannot be done.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

churly

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 06:01:23 pm »

It will be interesting to hear the results of the discussion.  I think the issue is a bit more complicted than Slobodan indicates based on Eric's examples.  I have to scroll to see even a 800 pix image on my 1280x800 screen on my tablet.
It has certainly cut down on my commenting on images as I rarely comment without having seen a shot on a large screen.  On the other hand a 800 pix image on my desktop screen is eqivalent to something like twice the ordinary viewing distance and is too small to really enjoy (kind of like a post card).  I obviously use a shorter viewing distance with a tablet.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 06:11:45 pm »

I think the issue is a bit more complicted than Slobodan indicates based on Eric's examples.

Would agree... Here's another issue.

I view LL at 200% magnification (Chrome, Win7 Pro), and images that expand "in place" (vs opening in a new window) just get cut on the right side, without any scrollbars.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 06:15:10 pm »

...I have to scroll to see even a 800 pix image on my 1280x800 screen on my tablet...

Possibly. I have a Retina iPad.

Bottom line, post files at minimum 1201 px, as they will open in a new window/tab.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:16:24 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 10:44:17 pm »

I strongly believe this topic needs to be pinned. And, hopefully, expanded.

For instance, how do you post an image that is inlined, so that it's not needed to click on it to view? I just posted an image, kept it to 800px, and the result seems to be that same cr@p Slobodan was writing about. Did it have to be 799px wide?

Preview of the message does not help: there's no image in it!

I understand LuLa is now pretty much locked into SMF, but can't help but say that pretty much any other forum software (even phpBB) would be more adequate for a photography-related site.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 11:14:59 pm »

That image you posted shows 868 px !?

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 11:44:51 pm »

That image you posted shows 868 px !?

You're right -- and the reason is that I did not change export scaling in ACDSee from "Enlarge of shrink" to just "Shrink only".

So, user error.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 12:01:01 am »

OK, it took two attempts to fix the post: first time, after removal of original image, I ended up with two copies, old (> 800px) and new (800px).

So I had to remove all images, save post w/o images at all, then edit it again. (And, again: this forum engine sucks, big time).

Now I have only one image, it's 800px, and it's still not inlined.

Ideas?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 01:45:07 am »

In order for it to be inline, you have to host it somewhere else, your own website, Flickr or similar.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 02:49:46 am »

In order for it to be inline, you have to host it somewhere else, your own website, Flickr or similar.

I just... hacked LuLa forum a bit, so my image is actually diplayed inline. And it, of course, is not hosted anywhere but LuLa forum.

It's a pity this functionality is not enabled with a simple attachment option/checkbox.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 02:58:01 am »

Actually, here it is.

I will now delete that other "experimental" message, which will of course invalidate the link in previous post...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 01:54:42 pm »

I just... hacked LuLa forum a bit, so my image is actually diplayed inline. And it, of course, is not hosted anywhere but LuLa forum...

But it is actually hosted on another thread, right?

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 02:49:08 pm »

But it is actually hosted on another thread, right?

Right.

What you see here is just a link to the image attached to another message -- the one that is used after the image is "expanded".

Actually, I downloaded source code of SMF 2.0.11 (the version currently being used for this forum) and had a look at it... There are options to disable thumbnails, to store thumbnails as PNGs, to set thumbnail sizes etc. Seems like what's used by LuLa are the defaults, and they are, unfortunately, very far from optimal for a photography-related forum.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 08:56:15 pm »

... I have to scroll to see even a 800 pix image on my 1280x800 screen on my tablet...

As I said above, a month ago I didn't have to scroll for 800 px on my Retina iPad. Looks like the things got worse in the meantime: even 800 px needs scrolling.

Michael West

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 02:24:37 pm »

As illustrated in this thread, posting images larger than 800px (and up to 1200px) will result in them being displayed inside the post, instead of being opened in a new tab/window. What it means is, depending on the size of your screen and platform (e.g. iPad), we will see it only partially, requiring scrolling to see the whole image. That significantly diminishes the experience of enjoying the whole image.

I've read on occasion that the administrators are recommending (requiring?) to limit posted images to 800px. That sounds reasonable, saves the bandwidth, and allows everyone to see the image at once.

If, however, you feel your image needs to be seen larger, please avoid sizes between 800px and 1200px and use something like 1210px, as it will open in a new tab or window as a whole image.

Thansl I wasn't aware of those perameters or the behavior of browser windows based on size.

which brought up this thought. Why while most images that are posted as attachments simply open a new smaller window do some download themselves to my machine and open in Photoshop?

Im geussing its a browser issue

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 02:35:36 pm »

...Why while most images that are posted as attachments simply open a new smaller window do some download themselves to my machine and open in Photoshop?...

I noticed that too, though not as frequently these days as when they were reworking the site a couple of months ago. At that time, I could not pinpoint why was that happening, nor to what types of files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up