Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printhead error on Canon 8400 that doesnt sound like the printhead is bad  (Read 5280 times)

crwoo

Hi, I have an iPF8400 that is giving me printhead errors.

It all started before a job the printer got a "replace left printhead" error. I didnt have a printhead so i went into the status file and saw that both printheads had all **** **** on date and usage. no info at all. I tried unplugging the printer for a day and when I plugged it back in i was surprised to see a "replenishing ink" status for about 5 minutes. (takes 15-20 minutes if the printer thought i had the printhead out and back in? (which I didn't)) it took about 20% hit on the maintenance tank, but after that the printer was working for a few days and the head tests were all good. but this morning the error came back :(

Not to throw you off track, but why would it say BOTH printheads with a row **** and not the regular info? why would BOTH work again after leaving it unplugged overnight? at this point it would rather not replace the printheads if the problem is not the printheads because they only have printed total of 600 square feet and I am guessing the heads are still ok.

Do you have any tips for me? anything I could try? could it be the carriage board or even the contacts on the head? perhaps if it was as simple as the contacts, maybe it would have dumped the heads? that said, i have no way of knowing if it actually dumped the heads or not, but it didn't take 10 minutes.

Any help is appreciated.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Printhead error on Canon 8400 that doesnt sound like the printhead is bad
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 01:10:07 am »

First off - Is the printer not still under warranty, could you get the technician in to look at it?  600 square feet is about 3 rolls of paper on my 6300, which I have done in the last month or so, and my printer is nearly four years old.  I did need to change the heads due to a fault within the first year - but they were changed under warranty.  The printer has just started doing more head cleans and nozzle checks so I think it may be building up to a new head/s though.

I have no explanation for your issues.  It just sounds as if you must have an almost new printer if it has done so little throughout.

Jim

crwoo

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:38:05 am »

Hi, yes the printer has little use and is out of warranty. It is for my personal use, so if this is a simple fix such as replacing the carriage board i would like to do it myself. for not I have just started shutting off the printer when not in use since it helps since i had this issue. I timed the "replenishing ink" to about 4.5 minutes, so I am guessing thats not a complete head fill.

I am always making sure I use the printer weekly even if it's just a test print.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:37:27 pm »

replacing the board is neither a simple nor cheap fix. if you can even get your paws on the parts you might be able to accomplish it, but usually you can't get the parts. it's $800-900 for the board and half that again to have it replaced.
Pages: [1]   Go Up