Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: On Street Photography  (Read 21306 times)

Rob C

Re: On Street Photography
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 11:52:30 am »

No, you'd be un rosbif (roast beef), but that's better than being called an "anglo-saxon", the all-purpose dismissal of anything perceived of as being from the English speaking world :-)

Okay; some French expressed with a Mallorcan accent:

Rob C

I pass this brave little fight for life almost every day. I imagine an old lady just hangin' on in there, but it could be anybody else at all.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 01:14:36 pm »

So here's my effort from this afternoon, I don't think I unduly disturbed the subject

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 01:15:49 pm »

Although last night I got a bit closer...

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 02:33:39 pm »

Although last night I got a bit closer...

Nice one! Looks happy, which in the circumstances, is great!

Je suis Paris!

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 02:59:43 pm »

Well, at least Lyon :-) Normally, 8 december is the Festival of Light... to thank the Virgin for saving Lyon from the plague some time in the 15th century, while neglecting to save most of her competitors in the silk industry. Traditionally, this involved people putting candles in their windows on the night of the 8th... but over the last 20 years it has blown out into a massive 4-5 night son-et-lumière, with 4 million people packed into the city (usual population 1 million...). A couple of years back I spent an hour trying to walk across a 4 lane bridge towards the city centre, the crush of bodies was so dense. I gave up, you needed to arrive mid afternoon.

This gives some idea pf what goes on at one of the major sites... but it's the whole city, and of course no access control at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG9IE_4kFVA

It doesn't take much imagination to think what a few nut cases with guns and suicide vests could do ... :-(
So for this year it has been cancelled, but there were enough remnants already installed that the locals came out for a look :)

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 04:45:30 am »

Thanks for the link: now sent to my daughter who spent time in France during her uni days. My offspring, and generations of, seem to have had more opportunities of enjoying that country than have I!

Seems to me those types of shows are far more interesting to watch than the expensive showers of sparks that all countries feel obliged to present at the break of each new year...

Rob

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 08:40:16 am »

Nice one! Looks happy, which in the circumstances, is great!

Je suis Paris!

Rob
Here is my street scene from Paris taken last May when we were on holiday.  Taken with my 16-85 zoom at 35mm, f8, 125th sec exposure

Alan

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 10:49:50 am »

Just along from there is an excellent bookstore, where one can buy this extremely useful book:

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 10:53:46 am »

Okay; some French expressed with a Mallorcan accent:

Rob C

I pass this brave little fight for life almost every day. I imagine an old lady just hangin' on in there, but it could be anybody else at all.

Hi Rob,

I totally missed this...Love the mood the light and your memory.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 01:06:39 pm »

Just along from there is an excellent bookstore, where one can buy this extremely useful book:

Are they still only partially covering the person? I like the idea of open air, for reasons of hygiene, but not of trying to contain retain a facial expression of absolute indifference if on display; I image only a native could crack that one. Or am I thinking of Italy? It all becomes one...

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 01:34:34 pm »

Hi Rob,

I totally missed this...Love the mood the light and your memory.

Peter

Thank you Peter; trouble is, I am finding that I get more and more drawn to the darker side of living. It's perhaps a result of the change in the season: winter is here without a doubt, and though the sun shines during part of the day, it gets dark far too early and the apartment freezes the moment the sun goes down. Yes, I heat it, but the structure is breeze block, and the only insulation is ant colonies. Whatever heat is inside instantly passes right through to help the garden. Insanity; architectural vandalism, and should be open to prosecution. We need a class action! Small chance - everybody is hand in glove.

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 04:17:21 pm »

Are they still only partially covering the person?

No, almost all the old pissoir are gone... now they have these super-sophisticated space capsules which steam-clean themselves between uses. Which means a minimum 10 minutes per person, long queues and the homeless piss next to them... who can blame them. I've seen tourists in Montpellier squeezing in 3 at a time out of desperation. Another example of French detachment from reality I'm afraid, the politicans who make the decisions have never used one :(

Anyway, here's a shot of the café at the head of Canal St Martin, Place Stalingrad, 7th November... (yeah, cropped, I'll be struck down by lightning).

jeremyrh

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 09:41:45 am »

Also available as an app. Quite entertaining as well as life-saving.

jeremyrh

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2015, 09:45:29 am »

Paris street photo. Literally  8)

Rob C

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2015, 10:21:46 am »

My temptation would have been to turn it quickly through 180° because the primary, more interesting feature is figuring out what the books are.

The secondary feature is sussing out what some women carry in their handbags that makes them so large (the bags - or is that still too ambiguous?). This is also better contemplated, I do believe, from the bird's eye view (shudder!) that our woman enjoys as well. It lends logic to her selective process.

The altered perspective would add an exciting degree of visual unease, which can do no harm at all.

Rob C (In pensive mode, and after much deliberation.)

jeremyrh

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 11:16:17 am »

My temptation would have been to turn it quickly through 180° because the primary, more interesting feature is figuring out what the books are.

Thanks for the suggestion - that's more or less within my editing skills :-)

Petrus

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2015, 01:53:17 pm »

figuring out what the books are.

You are such a nostalgic romantic person. Those are DVDs…

Image does not have much to do with "street".

Rob C

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2015, 02:08:31 pm »

You are such a nostalgic romantic person. Those are DVDs…

Image does not have much to do with "street".

And here I was, dreaming of sweet little "poche" editions of classical books on 'street' heroes... how everything turns to modern dust!

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2015, 05:20:09 pm »

Not the Café de Flore, but as close as I can get without a super-super-tele.

Rob C

John R

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2015, 06:49:26 pm »

Not the Café de Flore, but as close as I can get without a super-super-tele.

Rob C

I have to say Rob, you are producing some very intriguing bw images. The last few have a strong sense of mystery.

JR
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up