Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: On Street Photography  (Read 21269 times)

jeremyrh

Re: On Street Photography
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2015, 06:06:59 am »

You are such a nostalgic romantic person. Those are DVDs…

Image does not have much to do with "street".

The street occupies about 50% of the frame (which was the point of the visual "pun") so objectively speaking your comment is nonsense :-)

Rob C

« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2015, 05:12:05 am »

Off-street street.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2015, 03:09:23 pm »

Just bought myself BRASSAÏ, POUR L'AMOUR DE PARIS from Blume publishers. Quite interesting, and another way of doing 'street' back when.

Strange how much of his work was nocturnal; coming from Brasso in Transylvania there may have been a family reason for that. Makes one wonder about myths, realities...

Rob C

P.S. On another kick, but connected:

http://www.horvatland.com/WEB/en/THE80s/PP/ENTRE%20VUES/Rubinstein/entrevues.htm
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:29:27 pm by Rob C »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2015, 04:23:32 pm »

Strange how much of his work was nocturnal; coming from Brasso in Transylvania there may have been a family reason for that. Makes one wonder about myths, realities...

Rob C

It always goes back to the family...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2015, 05:10:25 pm »

It always goes back to the family...

Peter

It does; me too, because of my mother's influence when she dragged me off to art galleries when I was a kid. And my aunt, who had Vogue, Harper's Bazaar... and a Rollei. You either thank, blame or perhaps a bit of both. You really have no choices - you just think that you do.

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2015, 05:18:38 pm »

It does; me too, because of my mother's influence when she dragged me off to art galleries when I was a kid. And my aunt, who had Vogue, Harper's Bazaar... and a Rollei. You either thank, blame or perhaps a bit of both. You really have no choices - you just think that you do.

Rob C

Ever notice how all younger folk are all self made, until their kids grow up...

Peter

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2015, 07:59:48 pm »

Ever notice how all younger folk are all self made, until their kids grow up...

Peter
+1.    ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2015, 01:27:50 am »

Rob C

« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2015, 10:34:52 am »

A gem of a link, thanks Rob.

No problem - happy to spread some good material. Here's the link to the entire collection of interviews:

http://www.horvatland.com/WEB/en/THE80s/PP/ENTRE%20VUES/multi.htm

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2015, 02:13:37 pm »

As I professed several times, I have neither talent nor interest for street photography. And yet here is one type that gets my heart racing (a Chicago street photographer - though Russ might argue she isn't):

http://theweek.com/captured/587253/shadows

Rob C

« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2015, 03:30:58 pm »

As I professed several times, I have neither talent nor interest for street photography. And yet here is one type that gets my heart racing (a Chicago street photographer - though Russ might argue she isn't):

But she's still well-rooted in the past; she's only doing it crisper. Check out Saul Leiter.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2015, 06:05:34 pm »

Part of the problem with 'street' lies in its definition: this ain't news - we've been here so often.

Perhaps the way to look at it is to realise that any tight definition is, ultimately, self-defeating. The genre has encompassed so many different people over so many years that it is a nonsense to say Joe is street but Jim is not, regardless off the fact that both work on the street. It seems to me that the traditional idea of street is confined to the close, confrontational as in Klein, possibly also in Frank; certainly so with Winogrand and somewhere in the middle with Joel M. Just for starters.  Arbus? I don't think she's street at all: I think she was into something almost too personal and not in the least psychologically healthy, though that's not to say that none of the others verged on the obsessional too.

Some, such as my own favourite, Leiter, worked for years on the street but also did fashion; his street is beyond the confrontational: it is into the artistic, the appreciation of colour, of black and white, of blocks of tone. In short, he's a visual poet in a way that nobody in his right mind could describe much of what contemporary street seems to be. He was, of course, also a painter.

I look at my own few attempts at some part of the genre and try to figure out just where the hell it fits - if it does, if it could, or if I should even care about any of that. This is shot on the street; is it street; who knows?

All I can say is that I enjoy doing this kind of thing, more than I imagined that I might when I started just a few months or so ago – at least, that's how the personal time-frame seems to me right now. I might have started years ago – can't really see it, though.

But street awareness? That dates back to the 50s with the British magazine edited by Norman Hall, Photography. At the same time there was the American Popular Photography Annual and its sister, Popular Photography Color Annual. These three were originally more valuable (photographically and educationally speaking) to me than anything else; I kept them for years, right until we were leaving to settle in Spain, at which time I donated the collection to a Glasgow studio where, I suspect, they ended up as fillers for setting up and adjusting still life levels under some tartan cloth... I have no memory about what happened to my many years of Playboy.

If there's a single, powerful message that comes through to me, it's something upon which I have commented before: the best shooters of them all were Jewish. I have no sure idea why this might be, though my mind suggests that it comes out of hard experiences, a sense of never really belonging anywhere; the permanent voyagers and consequently, always distanced just enough to be astute observers.

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 11:31:45 am by Rob C »

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2015, 05:33:09 am »

Part of the problem with 'street' lies in its definition: this ain't news - we've been here so often.
Yup.

I look at my own few attempts at some part of the genre and try to figure out just where the hell it fits - if it does, if it could, or if I should even care about any of that. This is shot on the street; is it street; who knows?
The way I see it, that's street.

All I can say is that I enjoy doing this kind of thing, more than I imagined that I might when I started just a few months or so ago – at least, that's how the personal time-frame seems to me right now. I might have started years ago – can't really see it, though.
I think there's something liberating about watching people move, waiting for a moment that you maybe don't yet know what will look like. There is some added spice from the frustration of "missing the shot" so many times because you weren't quick enough, or were looking the wrong way.

Sometimes, people are very predictably helpful, though.

Happy new year, people!
Jan

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2015, 07:55:37 am »

I haven't a clue about or an interest in defining 'Street Photography'. That said I love taking images from and of the street.

Hangdog, Morocco, 2015.
I love doing so, too, there's so much to see. And I love that photo!
Jan

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2015, 08:10:40 am »

Me too. I'd defintely print it & hang it on the wall

FMueller

« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2015, 09:57:23 am »

Good is good, I don't care how it is categorized. Thanks for posting that link.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up