Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colour with Punch  (Read 1962 times)

Rob C

Colour with Punch
« on: December 04, 2015, 02:25:58 pm »

Many believe that colour photography owes its popularity to the modern world of digital. Not so: great work has been around for a long, long time, and if it remains somewhat unknown to today's crop of photographers, it's probably not really their fault, for how do you look for people whose names you don't already know? Spend fruitless hours consulting Dr Google? In fact, I believe it to be one of the great losses that the demise of so many reportage-style magazines has left us nursing bitterly in our collective memory - if we are old enough to have those memories in the first place.

A great example of such a master colourist is Pete Turner. You can enjoy his work here:

http://www.peteturner.com/

Oh - and bear in mind that little of what's to be seen owes anything to Adobe. A lot to Kodak, yes, but Adobe no.

Enjoy - I hope.

Rob C

wmchauncey

Re: Colour with Punch
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 07:56:09 am »

I groaned when I viewed your link for I know what is involved in doing that sort of thing using Adobe...
it boggles my mind to imagine what must be involved in using Kodak.
The things you do for yourself die with

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 02:26:52 pm »

I groaned when I viewed your link for I know what is involved in doing that sort of thing using Adobe...
it boggles my mind to imagine what must be involved in using Kodak.

As far as I can remember from old articles I read before they were old articles, a lot of the pix came via sandwiched slides, and I also think he did some complicated copying via a stand. In some ways, Sam Haskins did some similar 'complex' work too, but doing a lot of the work totally in-camera, AFAIK.

Turner's very much alive and spry - the site has links to an Epson-sponsored exhibition and interview.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 04:24:11 pm »

Wonderful :)

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:52:26 am »

Interesting and very hip, dazzled by the dates, a very personal take on colo(u)r by Mr. Turner.  Thanks for sharing Rob.
Best Regards, Sander

torger

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 06:03:50 am »

Fantastic images, and impressed what you could do back then despite limited technology.

The strength of digital technology is that you can do virtually anything. With analog tech your look is strongly dependent on the choice of film, although Pete Turner managed to get around that a bit.

Using digital you are much freer in designing your own look, which at least in theory improves the possibility to make a personal look. It's difficult though, and as everyone is using Photoshop using the same algorithms and methods the looks turn out quite similar anyway, with exceptions of course.
Pages: [1]   Go Up