Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mirrorless - maybe not so much  (Read 6426 times)

Rob C

Re: Mirrorless - maybe not so much
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 11:36:07 am »

You know Rob it's funny.  Everytime I drop by an apple store, usually to buy more drives, I see 50 and up somethings buying the latest phone or pad.

They're upper middle class and don't want to look uncool, though it's way uncool to walk around with a phone that makes you pants look like your smuggling in ham sandwiches.

My favorite phone is this.

http://www.vertu.com/us/en/collections/signature/shop-collection/red-calf/601981-001-01.html

I'm positive this is where Phase One got their business model.

It's absurdly priced, doesn't do much, but if you can spend 15k on a phone then you have other people that text and e-mail for you, your number is secret and the only person that calls you either works in high levels of government, sets on the boards of 12 companies, or has William Morris for an agent, or they have a Russian surname and live in Brighton Beach.

Nobody calls these people uncool, but then again these people don't talk to regular folk.

IMO

BC

Holy shit! It's got exactly the same horrific Darth Vadar design concept as part of the console of my little Ford Fiesta, and costs just as much as the entire car!

Either I am insane, or the world has gone that way and nobody told me.

One positive thing: I bet that the Red Calf cellphone's battery dies just as quickly as do all of the ones that I've had - and better yet, becomes as obsolete!

Rob C

chez

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 11:40:48 am »

New doesn't necessarily mean good & old doesn't necessarily mean bad.

Exactly...but some just don't see it that way.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 02:59:52 pm »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 04:03:37 pm »

Hi Keith,

For me it sort of works in different directions. I often compose with OVF take the picture and look at the composition on the LCD and adjust composition . More often than not, the change is to include more of the foreground.

I also find that with the LCD on the back of the camera, when on tripod, I get a more relaxed looking at the LCD. I would say that we OVF/EVF I am more focused on the subject while with the LCD on the back I see the subject more in context. This may be very personal.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, I'll occasionally use a screen but much prefer how an EVF or for that matter an OVF isolates the frame from the surrounding dross.
Erik Kaffehr

stevesanacore

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 06:47:00 pm »

Maybe mirrorless cameras aren't quite the threat to DSLRs that they've been made out to be. Petapixel ran a story on some interesting statistics that Flickr has culled from the photos on its site.

"The most popular device used by Flickr users is still smartphone cameras, accounting for 39% of all uploads. DSLR comes in second with 31%, and point-in-shoots represent 25%. Mirrorless made a squeak with 3%. For brands, the Apple iPhone was used for a whopping 42% of all photos. Canon DSLRs were used for 27% of images, and Nikon DSLRs accounted for 16%."

Technically, I suppose smartphones and the point-and-shoots could be considered mirrorless, so it's not clear what Flickr considers a mirrorless camera. Still, it's kind of interesting in light of all of the hoopla about mirrorless taking over the world that mirrorless have such a low presence on Flickr.

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/02/the-top-photos-and-cameras-on-flickr-in-2015/

John

But I would bet that more people with phones use flickr than any other type of photographer. I don't use Flickr and and I have no photographer friends that do. I think before you can draw any conclusions you need to find out what percentage of serious photographers use it. There is no doubt that DSLR's outnumber mirrorless at the moment. High end interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras have only been around a few years compared with Nikon and Canon pro digitals for close to 15 years now.
We don't know what we don't know.

Greg D

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2015, 02:01:46 pm »

"The most popular device used by Flickr users is still smartphone cameras, accounting for 39% of all uploads. DSLR comes in second with 31%, and point-in-shoots represent 25%. Mirrorless made a squeak with 3%. For brands, the Apple iPhone was used for a whopping 42% of all photos. Canon DSLRs were used for 27% of images, and Nikon DSLRs accounted for 16%."

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/02/the-top-photos-and-cameras-on-flickr-in-2015/

John

If smartphones account for 39% of all photos, how can the iPhone account for 42%?  And if DSLRs account for 31%, how can Canon account for 27% and Nikon for 16%?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 08:54:35 am »

According to this:

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Sony-bets-on-mirrorless-cameras-for-revival?page=1

Mirrorless still has a long way up to climb... Canikon still have more than 70% of the market.

Sony are selling fewer cameras, but more expensive and profitable ones, like the Alpha 7. They have 13% of the market, which is not bad. All the other MILC guys must be really struggling...

Herbc

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 10:00:28 am »

Geezers such as me don't even know how to get to flicker, although a friend uses picasa. 8)

David S

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 10:47:01 am »

If smartphones account for 39% of all photos, how can the iPhone account for 42%?  And if DSLRs account for 31%, how can Canon account for 27% and Nikon for 16%?

I understood the data to mean iPhone accounted for 42% of phone shots etc.

Dave

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 01:05:50 pm »

picasa

Now that's a name I have not heard in a long time. A long time.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up