Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mirrorless - maybe not so much  (Read 6427 times)

jtunney

Mirrorless - maybe not so much
« on: December 03, 2015, 03:00:01 pm »

Maybe mirrorless cameras aren't quite the threat to DSLRs that they've been made out to be. Petapixel ran a story on some interesting statistics that Flickr has culled from the photos on its site.

"The most popular device used by Flickr users is still smartphone cameras, accounting for 39% of all uploads. DSLR comes in second with 31%, and point-in-shoots represent 25%. Mirrorless made a squeak with 3%. For brands, the Apple iPhone was used for a whopping 42% of all photos. Canon DSLRs were used for 27% of images, and Nikon DSLRs accounted for 16%."

Technically, I suppose smartphones and the point-and-shoots could be considered mirrorless, so it's not clear what Flickr considers a mirrorless camera. Still, it's kind of interesting in light of all of the hoopla about mirrorless taking over the world that mirrorless have such a low presence on Flickr.

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/02/the-top-photos-and-cameras-on-flickr-in-2015/

John
John

John Tunney Photography
www.jtunney.com
Four Seasons of Cape Cod

AlterEgo

Re: Mirrorless - maybe not so much
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:15:08 pm »

so what do we have ? the current ratio (of photos done __by accumulated cameras__ - not sales for the last year, for example... not by cameras purchased during the last year - if somebody shoots with Canon 5DII or 5DIII purchases several years ago - that camera goes into that statistics) is 1:10 mirrorless vs dSLRs ... and how do we find out a trend ? because it is the trend that matters and tells us ... was it 1:10 or 1:20 or 1:30 2-3 years ago ?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:48:58 pm by AlterEgo »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 03:43:29 pm »

Hi,

My take is that mirrorless is coming. But we still don't know in what shape.

Best regards
Erik

so what do we have ? the current ratio (of accumulated cameras - not sales for the last year, for example) is 1:10 mirrorless vs dSLRs ... and how do we find out a trend ? because it is the trend that matters and tells us ... was it 1:10 or 1:20 or 1:30 2-3 years ago ?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:14:20 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

chez

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 04:22:45 pm »

So from what you posted am I to conclude there are about the same number of images being taken today with DSLR's as with phones? I don't think so. Garbage in....garbage out.

scooby70

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 06:36:25 pm »

...it's kind of interesting in light of all of the hoopla about mirrorless taking over the world that mirrorless have such a low presence on Flickr.

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/02/the-top-photos-and-cameras-on-flickr-in-2015/

John

Some people are still using DSLR's?

OK. :D

All I know is I went mirrorless and sold my big fat and heavy DSLR and lenses and there'd have to be a gun at my head before I picked up a big fat DSLR again and that's before we get to peaking and magnified views and in view histograms and WYSIWYG and all of the other mirrorles goodies.

I have the luxury of being an amateur and I decide what camera I use and what I take pictures of and the gear I have now is the best I've ever had, for me. Anyone else is free to buy what's right for them.

dwswager

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 07:35:45 pm »

Some people are still using DSLR's?

OK. :D

All I know is I went mirrorless and sold my big fat and heavy DSLR and lenses and there'd have to be a gun at my head before I picked up a big fat DSLR again and that's before we get to peaking and magnified views and in view histograms and WYSIWYG and all of the other mirrorles goodies.

Everybody has different needs and different preferences.  I shoot a D810 and have friends with inexpensive DSLRs that are super small and light and you couldn't pay me to shoot with one of those. While I don't always like toting the weight, I light a substantial camera in my hands.   Part of it is activating functionality.  Until the user interface to the camera changes such that I can access the functionality I want in a fast, convenient manner on a small camera, I can't see me shooting them.

BJL

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 08:37:34 pm »

"The most popular device used by Flickr users is still smartphone cameras, accounting for 39% of all uploads . . . the Apple iPhone was used for a whopping 42% of all photos.
More iPhone photos than all smartphone camera photos?!

elf

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 08:41:55 pm »

More iPhone photos than all smartphone camera photos?!

Well of course, an iPhone isn't smart.  Overpriced and under spec'ed :)

BJL

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 09:02:19 pm »

Well of course, an iPhone isn't smart.  Overpriced and under spec'ed :)
And apparently an iPhone has a mirror; otherwise it would be "mirrored cameras" that are the ones with a small and shrinking "Flicker-share".

Herbc

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:16:39 am »

phones are seldom used for serious photography-can you imagine going out on a trip to a special place to photograph it and you only took a phone?
I am tempted by the Nikon D750 to use a DSLR once again after Sony A7's but I resisted the urge when I realized the viewfinder has very little info in it compared to the EVF of the Sony. 8)

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 10:54:55 am »

phones are seldom used for serious photography-can you imagine going out on a trip to a special place to photograph it and you only took a phone?
I am tempted by the Nikon D750 to use a DSLR once again after Sony A7's but I resisted the urge when I realized the viewfinder has very little info in it compared to the EVF of the Sony. 8)

I think back to all those amazing pictures we used to shoot using OVFs with no information in them worth squat other than the best information of all: a full image coverage, complete with a split-image centre and an occasional grid; how poor we must have been all along and not known...

How far have we drifted on this hopeless tide to nowhere, the only saving grace being the reusable film...

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:19:22 am by Rob C »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 11:14:26 am »

Camera's are a means to an end, use whatever suits you.
It's the pictures and their impact that counts, the rest is secondary.
pieter, aka pegelli

chez

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 12:20:54 pm »

I think back to all those amazing pictures we used to shoot using OVFs with no information in them worth squat other than the best information of all: a full image coverage, complete with a split-image centre and an occasional grid; how poor we must have been all along and not known...

How far have we drifted on this hopeless tide to nowhere, the only saving grace being the reusable film...

Rob C

Yep...and the great novels that were hand written or on a type writer... and the great radio broadcasts that we sat around listened to rather than watching a 60" high definition screen...and those lines of phones at airports we all queued up for instead of calling on your cell phone...and salary we received via a paper check every week where we stood in queue at the bank to deposit rather than having electronic deposits...the list goes on.

Some see new technology a progress...others just can't let go of the past. Just put another log into the stove, turn on the tube radio and huddle around another broadcast for the evening...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 02:29:32 pm »

Hi,

It may be that OVF and live view on LCD panel is a marriage in heaven. My cameras offering live view are all EVF. With my experience, I appreciate EVF, but would I have great LV on back panel and a great OVF, I may prefer that solution. But, I don't have that choice.

Best regards
Erik

As a photographer who used to haul around late V Series Blads with industry standard OVFs and still have difficulty nailing focus I'm not sorry things have moved on. I'd hate to go back to film and shooting blind.

I then progressed to H Series Blads with their industry standard OVFs and similarly broke my back doing so, but at least once captured I could preview what it was I had.

Now with mirrorless cameras we have the ability to see all aspects of what the sensor is seeing before capture and in a package that is a fraction of the heft and girth of the DSLR or MF DSLR.

Magnification and focus peaking can be a wonderful asset for those of us whose eyes are not what they were. The mirrorless cameras deliver a package that doesn't break the back or bank.

I simply wouldn't go back to a mirror box, but there again my camera has an OVF and EVF

:-)
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 03:00:37 pm »

Yep...and the great novels that were hand written or on a type writer... and the great radio broadcasts that we sat around listened to rather than watching a 60" high definition screen...and those lines of phones at airports we all queued up for instead of calling on your cell phone...and salary we received via a paper check every week where we stood in queue at the bank to deposit rather than having electronic deposits...the list goes on.

Some see new technology a progress...others just can't let go of the past. Just put another log into the stove, turn on the tube radio and huddle around another broadcast for the evening...

Still do it, but differently: huddled in front of a monitor, not as pleasantly warmed as I used to be by fire, and indignant that the electricity company manages to send me extortionate bills every winter, but not the actual power required to get the value out of the heating equipment I own! Funny that - just like broadband, where they tell me that I have contracted for up to a zillion whatevers, when I only average about 3.4 on the scale any time I dial in Speedtest.

Telephones: why would I want to telephone someone from an airport? What on Earth would I have to say to them - I'm  here!? Come to think of it, an airport is the last place I would want to be these day. My cellphone is big, fragile, impossible to read in sunlight, and now, a couple of years old, the battery has started to die, and won't hold charge, exactly as did all of the others that I had before it. And I bet you that, precisely as with them, when I go back to the Telefonica shop seeking a new power source they'll tell me again that it's obsolete, get with the programme, oldtimer! Well, they don't say that in Spanish, they say it with their faces, far more eloquently than in words. Why are all these sorts of employees just out of school? Do they all imagine some of us only know Morse code or semaphore? Do they even know what the hell, those are?

You see the magic of photography? In the twinkling of an eye it can take you from the boredom of comparing eyepìeces to the magic of commerce across the world, and through a brief history of signalling. Who'd be without it?

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:03:41 pm by Rob C »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 03:06:50 pm »

As I'm starting to fill some family albums with 5x7 prints (trying to go old school again) I realized that most cellphone shots make decent 5x7.  Now I can see better why they are replacing P&S compacts for most people and even bigger sensor cameras for those who don't print bigger.

Telecaster

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 04:13:14 pm »

Most people taking photos don't print at all.

How many pixels do I need to fill my iPad's screen? 3mp worth. This gives me the electronic equivalent of a print just short of 8x6". Any decent smartgizmo can handle this with pixels, and actual resolving power, to spare. You could quadruple the display's pixel density—not that you'd likely be able to see much difference unless you increased its size too—and still be able to fill it with any 12mp & up camera. More res at this point just offers cropping flexibility and maybe some NR via downsampling when desired. Many smartgizmos can already do this, and all of 'em will before long.

-Dave-

graeme

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 05:26:48 pm »

You can pick the bits from either that suit you: Very often on a winter evening I'll put a log into our woodburning stove & then sit & surf around or do some work on our retina MBP. I also cook with traditional bare cast iron pans on an induction hob.

New doesn't necessarily mean good & old doesn't necessarily mean bad.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 04:39:31 am »

Hi BC,

So you don't like Phase business model but you like their old generation backs?

Best regards
Erik

http://www.vertu.com/us/en/collections/signature/shop-collection/red-calf/601981-001-01.html

I'm positive this is where Phase One got their business model.
Erik Kaffehr

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 05:38:08 am »

Ran across this one by chance  ;D

pieter, aka pegelli
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up