Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help button  (Read 4949 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Help button
« on: December 02, 2015, 03:47:47 am »

I'm not a fan of the new Help button, it is so distracting.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

stamper

Re: Help button
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 03:51:00 am »

What do you suggest should be done about it? ::) :-[

tom b

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 04:28:57 am »

It belongs in the header… photographers have not got a decent idea of instructional design from my experience.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

stamper

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:39:46 am »

It belongs in the header… photographers have not got a decent idea of instructional design from my experience.

Cheers,

Is that ALL photographers, or only some?

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 05:49:30 am »

Is that ALL photographers, or only some?

I'd say "most".

Just visited http://www.russellrutherfordphoto.com/... Beautiful, stunning images, and horrible usability of the site. I mean, it is far beyond just "bad"; it deserves to be used as a case study of how not to design/build a web site.

stamper

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 05:59:57 am »

I'd say "most".

Just visited http://www.russellrutherfordphoto.com/... Beautiful, stunning images, and horrible usability of the site. I mean, it is far beyond just "bad"; it deserves to be used as a case study of how not to design/build a web site.

I have seen worse. Subjectivism is on display?

B-Ark

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 06:11:50 am »

Well, there is that black bar near the top of the page that has lots of available space.
Speaking of black bars - that's a real black hole that attracts the eye. Maybe it could be toned down to 18% grey.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 06:23:50 am »

I have seen worse.

Me too, me too.

Subjectivism is on display?

Well, first off, there is no such thing as "objective opinion", so let's not start that debate...

As to the site in question:

1. I as a user feel completely out of control: bg images change, I can't pause on one I like.

2. Most images have dark background, and menu item on which I hover also gets dark; that's the way it is highlighted; besides, I feel like I have to be pixel-perfect when select menu item; a classic "form over function". Adding (same size?) background to menu items would have fixed that, but I guess Russel felt it wouldn't be as pretty as he wanted.

3. The image matrix -- wow, that's a biggie. One has to position cursor like within tiny strip of pixels as the bottom to start automatic (bad by itself!) scrolling down; few pixels below, and once cursor over footer, the matrix jumps back. It took a while before I figured how it all "works".

4. I can go on and on.

P.S. It's my third post, and third time I have to get through one of the worst CAPTCHAs I ever seen, and answer same 5 dumb questions... So I'm surprised not that the Help button is misplaced, but that it's not neon pink, occupies half of the screen, and jumps with cursor movement...

Then again, maybe that's part of a subtle plan to scare away the weak, so that only toughest of the toughest remain? What do I know?...

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 06:45:01 am »

The captchas we use actual uses sow down and do a good job of weeding out the foreign spammers and trolls.  It makes someone have to find out answers.  It's there in the end for your protection.  You should only have to sign in once with that.  Log back in and before going away say remember me. 

The help button is getting used a lot and is part of the initial sign in for membership in due time it will be move to a more subtle place. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 07:06:06 am »

The captchas we use actual uses sow down and do a good job of weeding out the foreign spammers and trolls.

My point is not that CAPTCHAs are bad, but that your CAPTCHA is bad. I'd highly recommend replacing it with something less alienating.

Edit: have to try again, because "The letters you typed don't match the letters that were shown in the picture." Good grief.

Kevin, if you haven't used your CAPTCHA in a while, you just may not remember how bad it is...

EDIT 2: THIRD TIME! One has to be freaking cryptographer to always pass it, I guess.

You should only have to sign in once with that.  Log back in and before going away say remember me. 

OK, logged out, logged back in automatically. I mean, just pressed "log in", and voila, I'm in... So I am apparently "remembered". Still seeing CAPTCHA in all its beauty.

Suggestions?

The help button is getting used a lot and is part of the initial sign in for membership in due time it will be move to a more subtle place.

That's good to know, thanks.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 07:14:29 am »

If you are logged back in the captcha should not be seen again.   I trust you are not seeing it.  If you are use the help button and our guys can check it out for you.  The sign in process is only a first time thing.   Trust me it main be  a pain but it is better than getting a casual sign up and it prevents a lot of spammers.  Once you are in though it shouldn't show anymore.   If you login to another computer log in there with your sign in name and password.  No captcha should appear.  Use the help button if you have a problem.

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 07:29:51 am »

Kevin, if you haven't used your CAPTCHA in a while, you just may not remember how bad it is...
Here are few samples, attached to the message.

Was going to insert it as an inline image, but could not find a way to do so... Not available to new users?

And yes, I still see CAPTCHA, so will have to follow your advice and use some Help...

tom b

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 07:37:13 am »

The Help button belongs on the header, I'm not sure where. It doesn't belong in its current position. More thought is needed to resolve this, good luck.

Cheers,

Tom Brown

stamper

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 07:46:23 am »

The Help button belongs on the header, I'm not sure where. It doesn't belong in its current position. More thought is needed to resolve this, good luck.

Cheers,

Reply#8

unquote

Did you miss it?

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 07:47:01 am »

zorki5 - that's not what you should be seeing....so use the help button to report it.   Our guys will also go through the forun topoics to and will see it.

Tom B it will eventually be moved to the header area.   It wills tay where it is for a while long while we sort through problems some readers are having.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

tom b

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 08:41:11 am »

I hope that you work with some competent graphic artists, not coders. Ugly is ugly!

Cheers,
Tom Brown

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 09:35:25 am »

I think the help button is fine where it is, header or bottom right corner doesn't make a lot of difference to me.
pieter, aka pegelli

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 04:35:46 pm »

zorki5 - that's not what you should be seeing....so use the help button to report it.   Our guys will also go through the forun topoics to and will see it.

So... I used that Help button several hours ago, and was then contacted by your support. They said they did implement some fix, and I can now confirm I do not see CAPTCHA anymore.

Thanks!

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 10:36:43 am »

I'm not a fan of the new Help button, it is so distracting.

I agree. It's also misnamed, it should be a Contact Us button. In every program I have ever used, Help brings up explanatory or instructional text.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 12:27:24 pm »

I agree. It's also misnamed, it should be a Contact Us button. In every program I have ever used, Help brings up explanatory or instructional text.
I agree.
How about having the button take you to the FAQ, with a send-a-message-to-the-techies box just below it.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up