Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Photographic Expedition to Ethiopia  (Read 3185 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
A Photographic Expedition to Ethiopia
« on: November 25, 2015, 09:35:21 am »

Michael share an article about his preparations for an upcoming trip to Ethiopia . . . https://luminous-landscape.com/ethiopia-expedition/
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Tedd

Re: A Photographic Expedition to Ethiopia
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:52:53 pm »

This is exactly why I come to LuLa and why subscribing is a no-brainer.  Thanks!!!

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 02:11:22 pm »

This article reminds me of the fact that Michael is as good a written communicator as he is a photographer.  That is one of the reasons I love this site.
Brad

lelouarn

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 03:04:53 pm »

I think that with the 24mm f/1.4 lens, it would make sense to take a small sky tracker ("nano-tracker" or Vixen Polarie, or something similar). They don't weight much, and allow to significantly increase the exposure time without getting star trails.
You can even run them at half sideral rates, to have a compromise between foreground blur and star trails.
Otherwise, I am really looking forward to the rest of the story, and pictures...

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 04:01:22 am »

As always, looking forward for the photos that will come out of this trip. I just don't agree with Michael's assertion that Starbucks instant coffee is the best... come one, Starbucks coffee, really:)

Especially going to the land where some of the best coffee can be found, Ethiopia...

P.S. I would love to visit the country and photograph it, some of the best photos I have seen from Salgado come from there. Unfortunately, some are from the famine years, but the more recent ones (from Genesis project) are beautiful too.

michael

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 05:29:41 am »

As always, looking forward for the photos that will come out of this trip. I just don't agree with Michael's assertion that Starbucks instant coffee is the best... come one, Starbucks coffee, really:)

Especially going to the land where some of the best coffee can be found, Ethiopia...

Wait. Wait. I didn't say that Starbucks Via is the best coffee, Just that it's the best "instant" coffee that I know.

As a coffee lover I am really looking forward to drinking freshly Ethiopian coffee while I'm there. But at 5am, rolling out of the sleeping bag and into the vehicles for a pre-dawn shoot, there's no time to make a proper brew. So quickly boiling some water and throwing in a couple of Via is the least objectionable way of kick-starting ones heart that I know of.

M

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 09:43:05 am »

Wait. Wait. I didn't say that Starbucks Via is the best coffee, Just that it's the best "instant" coffee that I know.

As a coffee lover I am really looking forward to drinking freshly Ethiopian coffee while I'm there. But at 5am, rolling out of the sleeping bag and into the vehicles for a pre-dawn shoot, there's no time to make a proper brew. So quickly boiling some water and throwing in a couple of Via is the least objectionable way of kick-starting ones heart that I know of.

M

Got it, sorry:) Then may I suggest you get a "Moka pot" (in Portuguese is cafeteira italiana) and use Ethiopian grounded coffee?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

I do it everyday for breakfast, a habit I caught from my father. It really does not take very long using a small camping stove, and beats instant coffee anyday:)

Anyway, have a great trip and come back with memorable images, as always.

michael

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 11:47:16 am »

Looking forward to seeing the output from this expedition but one thing caught my attention: the Rift Valley isn't on the itinerary?

Sadly, lots of places I'd love to go to that are not on the itinerary.

But we have a plan to focus on a few areas and really get to explore them.

Michael

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 02:54:42 pm »

I concur with this. An 8 oz. cup of Via (Veranda) is part of my morning routine. The point isn't to savor the coffee but rather be jolted into some semblance of functionality.  :D

-Dave-

ysengrain

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 05:07:25 am »

Michael wrote: "Paranoid? Maybe. But stuff happens,…"

May I say that an adviced man have a belt and braces on his trousers, and securely hold it with two hands ,•))

Manoli

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 05:18:20 am »

As a coffee lover I am really looking forward to drinking freshly Ethiopian coffee while I'm there. But at 5am, rolling out of the sleeping bag and into the vehicles for a pre-dawn shoot, there's no time to make a proper brew.

Sorry, Michael, but on this one you've got your priorities back to front.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 02:19:51 pm »

A timely article for me as I'm off to the Botswana - Okavango on a photo safari next Sept plus a few days in Namibia.

Ive been toying with the idea of buying a A7R2 however for a wildlife trip I think I might be better to stick with my Canon 5d3/7D2 and 400mm f4 DO. Better battery life and long lens options probably will be the deciding factor but the A7R2 weight reduction is tempting.

Dave

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 01:41:30 am »

I stand up for Via French Roast!!! (I think the guys learned about Via from me-I even went so far as licking Via from my palm to get a caffeine boost).

No, it's not really better than fresh roasted but it's a really good replacement when all you have is boiled water!

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 03:53:11 am »

Hell of a country. I did an unsupported bicycle ride through it in 1995. Almost killed me. The coffee is amazing. I drink single origin Ethiopian coffee almost exclusively to this day.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up