Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: A New Change For Luminous-Landscape  (Read 144977 times)

jng

Re: A New Change For Luminous-Landscape
« Reply #380 on: December 01, 2015, 11:32:24 pm »

After finally registering for the pay side of LuLa (thanks to the IT fellow resetting something for me on his end), I too found myself unable to log into the forum. It wasn't as simple as the site not accepting my login and password, but merely pressing the "login" button resulted in an error message. Emptying my browser's cache, logging out of the pay site, etc. did nothing to resolve the problem. Thanks to Telecaster for the workaround, I'm now back on the forum using my old login credentials. Curiously, none of these shenanigans affected my ability to log in to the forum via Tapatalk...

John

Manoli

« Reply #381 on: December 01, 2015, 11:33:41 pm »

Thanks, that is how I finally got in to the forum.  I am going to wait until the dust settles a bit. Seems that the new system is not well thought out (at least from my perspective).  A short article about how to make the transition would be a good idea.

So many questions easily answered by clicking and reading the help desk link at the bottom of the home page:
https://luminouslandscape.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

John Hollenberg

« Reply #382 on: December 01, 2015, 11:48:28 pm »

So many questions easily answered by clicking and reading the help desk link at the bottom of the home page:
https://luminouslandscape.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Now that I know about the link, I will read it.  As I said, not obvious.

Edit: OK, I read the link, followed the directions, can't log in, can't reset my password.  Complete fail.  Still broken.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:52:58 pm by John Hollenberg »

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #383 on: December 02, 2015, 12:43:33 am »

Now that I know about the link, I will read it.  As I said, not obvious.

Edit: OK, I read the link, followed the directions, can't log in, can't reset my password.  Complete fail.  Still broken.

I've been locked out as bcooter.  Is this a glitch in the system, an editorial decision or a commercial plan to put the site behind a paywall, by making it difficult to log in?

For some reason my old account comes in without me doing a thing.

With all the recent talk, not a good grand opening guys.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:07:51 am by James R Russell »

Manoli

« Reply #384 on: December 02, 2015, 01:02:17 am »

I've been locked out as bcooter.  Is this a glitch in the system, an editorial decision or a commercial plan to put the site behind a paywall, by making it difficult to log in?

Cooter,

Have you tried logging in with your old email address , NOT your 'bcooter' username BUT use your old/original password ?
If you succeed in logging in , then your username will show (as before) and your email address stays hidden.

Sorry, it's too early but I hope it makes sense.
M

James R Russell

« Reply #385 on: December 02, 2015, 01:05:41 am »

Cooter,

Have you tried logging in with your old email address , NOT your 'bcooter' username BUT use your old/original password ?
If you succeed in logging in , then your username will show (as before) and your email address stays hidden.

Sorry, it's too early but I hope it makes sense.
M

Thanks,

Yep, tried it at first three times, them all of a sudden it reverted back to an old account.

Not saying anyone is doing anything uncool, but with what's gone on, at this point I just want access to remove content and either start fresh or head for the hills.

Thx.

BC

bernard.languillier

« Reply #386 on: December 02, 2015, 01:11:16 am »

For some reason my old account comes in without me doing a thing.

With all the recent talk, not a good grand opening guys.

Same here...

Cheers,
Bernard

jeremyrh

« Reply #387 on: December 02, 2015, 01:16:31 am »

Are you making a guarantee that personal information will never be shared, traded, or sold, or the statement that at the present time it is not being shared or sold?
Or hacked ...

Manoli

« Reply #388 on: December 02, 2015, 01:34:25 am »

OK, I just got temporarily locked out too.

There are 2/3 ways to login. Top menu bar, RHS 'Guest' small print, and clicking on any user ( as you would to view a profile or posts).

One didn't work , the other did,
Don't remember which one was which - but try them until 'hopefully' one does.

In the meantime, deep breath and stick some rose tinted spectacles on until the cavalry arrive ...

We had to use one key fixed item around which membership and forum data records could be based. Email is the best choice. So yes, once you are a Member, login uses the email as the 'username' id. BTW, if you change your email address, the original still stays as your username. It is not editable

Check the FAQ here

Chris

James R Russell

« Reply #389 on: December 02, 2015, 01:41:52 am »

OK, I just got temporarily locked out too.

There are 2/3 ways to login. Top menu bar, RHS 'Guest' small print, and clicking on any user ( as you would to view a profile or posts).

One didn't work , the other did,
Don't remember which one was which - but try them until 'hopefully' one does.

In the meantime, deep breath and stick some rose tinted spectacles on until the cavalry arrive ...

I've done everything in the FAQ.   It seems when I try to log in as bcooter it wants a pay and like I say . . . that will never happen for forums use.

There is a link on how to cancel an account, but I want to know how to remove my content.

But thanks Manoli for your help.

BC

P.S.  I went through this before with the RG forums.  They didn't want money, they just didn't like what people wrote.   Then again they wouldn't release the content because they sold it.

After the new owners arrived, they asked me to come back offered incentives (you can figure out what incentives mean) and all I asked for was for them to remove my content, which they finally did.

I feel the same now. 

Look, I know this may be a glitch, but since the original plan was to charge for our content and the access to post or clear our previous posts, it makes me very uncomfortable.

I'd feel a lot better if I heard from Michael as he has always been straight up with me, even if we disagreed.

Michael I respect cause he has no problem getting in your face and telling you the truth, even if you don't like it.

Chris I have man love for cause he always shares thousand, hell 25,000 hours of knowledge to anyone that asks.

If these two guys tell me it's ok, then I'll believe it as long as there is a resolve.

In other words to me Canada is fine, Indiana has always made me nervous, it more ways than one.

Canada has always been a pay for exact play system.   Indiana is like Phase One, "let's talk about upgrades".

But it's interesting.  A few hours ago the header on this forum was "Discussion Forms".  Now it's blank and the only link is LL Home.

So who's playing who?

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:17:50 am by James R Russell »

Manoli

« Reply #390 on: December 02, 2015, 03:22:45 am »

Cooter,

In all honesty I suspect that these are just unfortunate tech issues. In your case if you had the same email both on your latest account and the earlier one , then the software has probably defaulted to the earlier one and that's why you're locked out from your bcooter account.

Chris did make the point earlier that, come what may, the email address that one originally used at registration is now your user ID ( not displayed but logged in the database) and it's not changeable. Translated it means – it is, but someone has to do the tech equivalent of reconstructive plastic surgery and botox the database.

In the meantime, Chris is probably asleep or recovering from multiple stress induced convulsions, Kevin's planning a weekend break in Syria, and Michael is swanning it in an Ethiopian desert. Smart fox that Mike is though, he's got a sat phone with him – exactly for emergencies – probably not what he had in mind but could there be a better time for him to use it ? No.  Time to ring home, Michael.

That's as far as you're concerned.

Bernard's case is slightly more complex. Bernard has upset the Gods and he needs to recant, incant and swear undying love and allegiance to Kwanon at the temple of Kyoto. Then, and only then - perhaps …

And no, $12 bucks won't cut it.

--
- Guys,  a bit of chill and hopefully all will soon be cool.

James R Russell

« Reply #391 on: December 02, 2015, 03:51:46 am »

Manoli,

I don't disagree with you one bit.  I think it's 90% tech glitches except for two things.

1.  No LL forums on the header.  Let's be real.  If you want people to access the site, that's the easiest click, instead we have two links to the paid site.

2.  I . . .  like I'm sure many others was sent an e-mail before this all happened saying just sign in and the 12 bucks is free since I am a valued contributor.

The second one sent me for a loop.  My words, photos, opinions on the site carry no more weight than a first time user asking what camera they should buy.

Once I see something like here's 12 bucks just keep on keeping on, I wasn't insulted because of the cost, (actually I was) I was more insulted because it seemed it wasn't offered to everyone that contributed.

I also felt that this was just the start of a very bad deal, so i began stripping my content.  If what i write important to others?  Probably not.  To me . . . yes because it's mine and I wanted it gone.

So bottom line.  I'm not 100% done, I just want a fresh start, then an honest, no more canned responses from Indiana like "due to changing market conditions".

That line is what the banks, our cell carriers tell us when they put on the gloves and say bend over.

So Kevin, if your awake, answer one question.  Why do you think what I or the others produce is more important than the people that ask equally compelling questions, especially for 12 bucks?

As I keep saying.  This forum is an elective and when it becomes work, it's just not worth it.

IMO

BC

Cooter,

In all honesty I suspect that these are just unfortunate tech issues. In your case if you had the same email both on your latest account and the earlier one , then the software has probably defaulted to the earlier one and that's why you're locked out from your bcooter account.

Chris did make the point earlier that, come what may, the email address that one originally used at registration is now your user ID ( not displayed but logged in the database) and it's not changeable. Translated it means – it is, but someone has to do the tech equivalent of reconstructive plastic surgery and botox the database.

In the meantime, Chris is probably asleep or recovering from multiple stress induced convulsions, Kevin's planning a weekend break in Syria, and Michael is swanning it in an Ethiopian desert. Smart fox that Mike is though, he's got a sat phone with him – exactly for emergencies – probably not what he had in mind but could there be a better time for him to use it ? No.  Time to ring home, Michael.

That's as far as you're concerned.

Bernard's case is slightly more complex. Bernard has upset the Gods and he needs to recant, incant and swear undying love and allegiance to Kwanon at the temple of Kyoto. Then, and only then - perhaps …

And no, $12 bucks won't cut it.

--
- Guys,  a bit of chill and hopefully all will soon be cool.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #392 on: December 02, 2015, 04:06:33 am »

Everything worked fine!

Downloading videos as we speak.

Thanks guys! I have already got my annual subscription's money's worth!

Happy Days!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Manoli

« Reply #393 on: December 02, 2015, 04:38:07 am »

The second one sent me for a loop.  My words, photos, opinions on the site carry no more weight than a first time user asking what camera they should buy.

James,

My comments were only tech related.

You know my thoughts on the rest, so I won't repeat them here other than to say that valued professional 'front-line' real world feed back and experiences are obviously worth immeasurably more than endless pontifications .  But the last time I hinted as such, I was told by another, recently (LuLa) departed, that I was nothing short of a supremacist - (even though I'm hoi polloi)!  Go figure.

Best,
M

jeremyrh

« Reply #394 on: December 02, 2015, 06:45:11 am »

2.  I . . .  like I'm sure many others was sent an e-mail before this all happened saying just sign in and the 12 bucks is free since I am a valued contributor.

Once I see something like here's 12 bucks just keep on keeping on, I wasn't insulted because of the cost, (actually I was) I was more insulted because it seemed it wasn't offered to everyone that contributed.

I also felt that this was just the start of a very bad deal, so i began stripping my content.  If what i write important to others?  Probably not.  To me . . . yes because it's mine and I wanted it gone.

So bottom line.  I'm not 100% done, I just want a fresh start, then an honest, no more canned responses from Indiana like "due to changing market conditions".

That line is what the banks, our cell carriers tell us when they put on the gloves and say bend over.

So Kevin, if your awake, answer one question.  Why do you think what I or the others produce is more important than the people that ask equally compelling questions, especially for 12 bucks?

As I keep saying.  This forum is an elective and when it becomes work, it's just not worth it.

IMO

BC

Ooooh :-(  That's a shame - I really value your contributions and I really understand your viewpoint 100%. Playing favourites - paying 12 bucks to people to provide forum content ("astroturfing", in effect) - leaves a bad taste.

jeremyrh

« Reply #395 on: December 02, 2015, 06:48:14 am »

James,

My comments were only tech related.

You know my thoughts on the rest, so I won't repeat them here other than to say that valued professional 'front-line' real world feed back and experiences are obviously worth immeasurably more than endless pontifications .  But the last time I hinted as such, I was told by another, recently (LuLa) departed, that I was nothing short of a supremacist - (even though I'm hoi polloi)!  Go figure.

Best,
M
More valuable to whom? The thoughts of a professional 'front-line' real world photographer may be less useful to a beginner than the words of a simpler soul who answers a question. (Pontifications, of course, may be discounted whatever the source.)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #396 on: December 02, 2015, 06:57:10 am »

Seems there may have been glitches overnight and our guys will sort these things out ASAP.

This notice is on the sign in screen for logging on:

*Existing forum users logging in for the first time should use their username to login.  as well as password.

If you have had trouble then the help button at the bottom of the page will go directly to the IT guys who will fix what ever is happening.  Not sure why you are encountering any problems.

We'll get you up and running.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

jng

« Reply #397 on: December 02, 2015, 10:50:45 am »

I . . .  like I'm sure many others was sent an e-mail before this all happened saying just sign in and the 12 bucks is free since I am a valued contributor.

James,

To be fair, the initial plan to charge for forum access was withdrawn and the site owners are entitled to offer "discounts" to whomever they choose, presumably because doing so brings value to their business, which I don't begrudge them. With that said, yes this does leave a bad taste. If someone were doing this in my professional sphere (photography is my avocation, I don't depend on it to put food on the table - quite the opposite, actually), I would probably be more worked up so I understand much better where you are coming from.

I do hope this messiness works itself out. I have benefited a lot from the forum discussions (with all of their warts), have contributed when I thought I could add something valuable to the conversation (but clearly my comments were not worth paying for), and have also enjoyed reading some of the articles on the main site. Now that I'm a paying customer, I suppose I'll watch some of the videos as time allows, at least for the next year. Time will tell...

John

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #398 on: December 02, 2015, 11:44:21 am »

Went to the home page, tried to log in with my "user name", got an error, tried again with my email instead... done. Only a few seconds. Went back to this forum, no problem, no need to log in again or anything. Smooth.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #399 on: December 02, 2015, 11:45:18 am »

For those who see ulterior motive behind our every move & problem during this transition, here is a timeline and objective list.

Have a read and then decide if there really is a bogeyman or not  ::)

May 2015: Michael, Kevin & Chris discuss what can be done to return LuLa to a financially self-sustaining entity rather than a costly hobby. Michael suggests a buck-a-month club. We all agree.

June-November: Planning and implementation for that membership transition done on an offline server.

November 23: Public Announcement that we will become a membership site. E mails sent to video subscribers, video purchasers and 'senior' forum contributors that their membership will be free for a year or more.

November 24-5: Much reaction both positive & negative. Many protests from several forum users angry that they will be charged $12 for 'their own posts'. Kevin, Michael & Chris discuss and decide that, on balance, the Forum remaining free to users is an acceptable cost of doing business. But For Sale posters need to pay for the privilege of posting items for Sale.

November 30: Server switch is made and generally the process works well and the membership uptake is reassuringly robust - but there are glitches: PayPal doesn't work, Credit card 'hook' doesn't work for the first few hundred subscribers. Developers work until the wee hours sorting things out (and continue...).

December 1-2: Existing senior Forum members with accounts that have been given a year's membership suffer login problems and the confusion of duplicate accounts. Developers are sorting this out on a case-by-case basis.

Message for those mad at us: Our apologies and please know that we feel bad that it hasn't worked flawlessly and that the developers are doing their damnedest to sort it out

Chris

P.S. Michael says Hi from Ethiopia where he is taking enviably compelling photographs
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26   Go Up