I'm recovering from yesterday's adventure with a friend to find some early season powder. We skied about five miles up a road (closed to cars for the winter) to an old ghost town called Pittsburg which is North of Crested Butte. That was a slog on somewhat heavy gear but once we ascended our objective, the gear was the right choice for the turns. I was dreading the ski back to town but some guys we met who were also skiing up there towed us back to town behind their snowmobiles which saved a lot of effort (but also isn't easy!).
The snow is still thin but skiing was decent enough considering the date. It's always fun to get back into a place like this. The only other people we saw up there were the guys who offered us the rides!
I typically bring my smallest weather sealed body/lens combo for this kind of stuff which is now a Pentax K-S2 and a 18-135 sealed zoom. It's not fancy gear but it stands up to the abuse and doesn't weigh me down too much.
IMGP3784-Edit by
Matt Burt, on Flickr