Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Megapixels  (Read 2000 times)

caribsurf47

Megapixels
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:33:43 am »

Yes, the winter is setting in and I am working indoors.

Camera Systems
1.   Canon EOS 5D Mark I with Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II lens
2.   Sony Alpha 7R Mark I, Metabones Canon EF to Sony E-Mount Adapter III and Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II lens
Venue

St Mary's Church, Purton, Wiltshire. There was a church at Purton no later than the 12th century; a capital from that time still exists in the wall of the nave, which was built in the early 13th century.[2] The chancel dates from the late 13th century.[2] The central tower, transept and a chapel south of the chancel were added in the 14th century.

Set Up

Manfrotto Professional ART 1 Tripod
Canon System: Cable Release with Mirror Lock Up
Sony System: Sony RMT-DSLR2 Remote Commander
Three Bracketed Frames @ -2EV, 0EV and +2EV
Captures made one at a time
Shot as three RAW Frames

Processing

0EV RAW Frames were individually fully processed in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6. The 0EV settings were then Copied, Pasted and Synced to all three Frames of their respective trio
The three Frames were then merged using the Photo Merge to HDR facility in LR6
The end result were two DNG Files, one for the Canon System and the other for the Sony System
The DNG files were exported to my Hard Drive as two 16-Bit TIFF files and saved in the sRGB Colour Space
The two Master 16-Bit TIFF Files were then individually opened in Adobe Photoshop CS3 and the identical corrections made to both images including Sharpening
The two Master 16-Bit TIFF files were then Re-sized to a width of 2000 Pixels in their longest dimension and saved as JPEG files

Camera Settings

24mm, f/8 and ISO 200

Attached are 4 images:

The Sony Camera System generated JPEG image with the notation DSCO3065-HDR2

The Screen Grab of the LR6 settings for the Master DNG File

The Canon Camera System generated JPEG image with the notation IMG_0685-HDR3

The Screen Grab of the LR6 settings for the Master DNG File

It will be interesting to have your views on any significant differences between the two images as viewed on your monitors.

I am sure that if very large prints were made from the 16-Bit Master files E.G. > 13.0" X 19" then the Sony should have a distinct advantage, but how about the images as viewed on your monitors at the distance that you would normally view an image of this size?

Hank Keeton

• SeeingTao
Re: Megapixels
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:04:31 pm »

Thanks for asking.....

On my monitor (NEC P242W) the Canon image appears more realistic in color rendition and specific details (Mural, flowers, stained-glass, architectural detailing).

To achieve that AOV with a LF camera would be tough, obviously. A sliding-back (not shift of rear-standard) would help.

Tilt-rise would benefit the image immensely....

Thanks for the invitation...

Cheers,

Hank

....always seeking.....

SeeingTao.com

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 01:48:17 pm »

The Sony image looks cooler than the Canon, and the colors of the carpets and wood panels don't seem right. The Canon image seems much better, despite being slightly darker in the shadows. It retails highlights better as well in the center, and has a bit more contrast in the right places.

As for viewing distance, this scene doesn't seem to favor resolution, not even up close. Maybe a really big print would start to show some differences, but you'd also have to view it from far away.
Instagram (updated often)

caribsurf47

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 08:08:59 am »

Thanks for taking time to view these images and to post your comments. Much appreciated. I also prefer the Canon image, but there is not that much in it. In order to tidy up this post I am attaching a fully processed image of the scene using the 0 EV frame from the Canon series of bracketed frames. A totally different outcome, much more focused on the beautiful painting on the altar. Two totally different outcomes with different objectives i.e. one architectural the other the altar and the painting.

The painting of “The Last Supper” in the reredos is from the school of the 17th century Dutch painter, Jacob Jordaens, and was given to the church by the dowager Countess of Shaftesbury in 1782. It was stolen in 1994, returned from the United States in 2001, badly damaged, restored and then returned to its historic location in 2004

Regards Steve
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:14:19 am by caribsurf47 »

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 09:35:49 am »

I like it as well, don't even mind the noise in the shadows. I would've gotten a bit closed, moving to portrait orientation, to draw more attention on the center painting but it's still a really nice shot.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: [1]   Go Up