Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripods?  (Read 4775 times)

Hidden Grid

Tripods?
« on: November 18, 2015, 05:07:02 am »

What are the best tripods out there under 1k?

Carbon Fiber
Aluminum
Wood :(

Ball Head
Trigger
Twist release

???
Keep your finger on the shutter and your eye on the view finder...

I need an appraiser for my work. HiddenGrid0@Gmail.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Tripods?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 06:22:09 am »

Carbon Fiber
Aluminum

Ball Head
Trigger
Twist release

???

Hi,

"Best" depends on the specific user requirements.

Things like; size or height (minimum/maximum), weight, load capacity, construction quality/service, etc., will determine what options are available, which then leaves price and availability as deciding factors.

Leg material will usually determine the resistance to vibration, with alumin(i)um as relatively worst, and wood as relatively best, but the construction/weight of the tripod also plays a role. The head choice will be determined by the ease of use for a specific application, but also the load capacity which should be a match for the tripod's load capacity and the camera weight/balance, and the need for quick changing of bodies and the need to switch orientation (landscape/portrait orientation).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 06:04:16 pm »

I recently replaced my aged medium sized tripod with a latest and greatest FLM carbon number and ball head.
It's very low weight, but has amazing height for it's size making it possible for me to stand on something and shoot with the camera at around 2.2 meters. The height was the main feature I was after and in this regard the FLM is exceptional.

I did a review on my website of the FLM here if it's of interest.
FLM Tripode review.

Hidden Grid

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 02:12:35 pm »

Hi,

"Best" depends on the specific user requirements.

Things like; size or height (minimum/maximum), weight, load capacity, construction quality/service, etc., will determine what options are available, which then leaves price and availability as deciding factors.

Leg material will usually determine the resistance to vibration, with alumin(i)um as relatively worst, and wood as relatively best, but the construction/weight of the tripod also plays a role. The head choice will be determined by the ease of use for a specific application, but also the load capacity which should be a match for the tripod's load capacity and the camera weight/balance, and the need for quick changing of bodies and the need to switch orientation (landscape/portrait orientation).

Cheers,
Bart

Carbon Fiber - Ball head w/trigger + leveler - 3 tier w/latch leg adjustment?
Keep your finger on the shutter and your eye on the view finder...

I need an appraiser for my work. HiddenGrid0@Gmail.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 04:55:18 pm »

Carbon Fiber
Aluminum

Ball Head
Trigger
Twist release

1) Goeth thee to google.com.
2) Enter thou "camera tripod reviews."
3) Presseth thee Enter, yea verily, and behold!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 04:24:59 am »

1) Goeth thee to google.com.
2) Enter thou "camera tripod reviews."
3) Presseth thee Enter, yea verily, and behold!

I did as you suggest.

About 2,270,000 results

A busy man like me simply can't spare the time...

Jeremy

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 10:20:08 pm »

I researched extensively when I was looking for a new tripod and settled on the Gitzo GT-3540XLS. There's been newer models since then (3541 and maybe even a 3542). Carbon Fibre so lightweight, extends taller than me (I often use it with a 3-step ladder for shooting architecture) and without a centre column, about 3" from the ground. I paired this with a RRS BH-55 ball head (Really Right Stuff). It's been my goto tripod for several years now and I haven't had one complaint.  It was over $1K, but well worth it.  However, it's a little big for hiking/backbacking any great distance. If that's your style, you may want something lighter and more compact.
Mike Guilbault

Some Guy

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 12:18:26 pm »

I like the look of some of the Ries wooden ones, but the weight becomes an issue.

The RRS stuff will likely cost you more than $1K, maybe closer to $2K with the plates and head.  Sirui makes some models that seem exact Chinese copies of the RRS tripods (Maybe better too?) for about half that so they might be an option.

I'm not crazy about the flipper leg locks at all.  In time they'll slip when the compression pieces deform, and they don't seem as stable to me over the larger twist locks of the RRS, Gitzo, Sirui brands etc.  They rattle a lot more too and associated riveted parts seem to loosen up on them in time.

However, the Arca-Swiss locking system is probably the greatest, and toss in the L-plate design to for your specific camera's axis shifting.

SG

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 08:40:03 pm »

If hiking deep into the mountains isn't the main use, but all around stability and control are, and weight isn't a major consideration, I recommend a Majestic tripod.  They can be found on ebay, sometimes reasonably.  Incredibly sturdy, geared head, and rock solid.  I've used them for over forty years and love them. 

Do I have Gitzo as well?  Yes, but also Hercules and other studio camera stands as well.  For weight to strength ratio, Gitzo is about the best, but you pay for what you get.

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

aleksandryants

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 09:29:18 pm »

Look at Really Right Stuff tripod they make are one of the best tripods on the market.
They make a great tripod head as well but it is heavy.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 04:11:42 am »

Carbon Fiber
Aluminum

Ball Head
Trigger
Twist release

???

Just my tuppence worth but I've been abusing my Manfrotto for at least 12 years now and although hardly pristine it still hangs on in there. The original trigger head went 'floppy' after a few years and was replaced by a smaller ball head which works fine.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 08:03:41 am »

RRS and forget about it. I believe they are just under $1K  ;)

ashaughnessy

• My wordpress blog
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 03:12:43 am »

Manfrotto A055 with manfrotto ball head. Heavy, but so far (10+ years) indestructible and does everything I ask it to.
Anthony
Anthony Shaughnessy
https://anthonyshaug
Pages: [1]   Go Up